Katainaka no Ossan, Kensei ni Naru: Tada no Inaka no Kenjutsu Shihan Datta noni, Taisei shita Deshi-tachi ga Ore wo Hottekurenai Ken - Vol. 5 Ch. 22 …

Dex-chan lover
It is at most average, and he's right that the artist is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. I also think the rating here on Mangadex (8.73) is too high and i lean closer to how it's currently rated on mangaupdates (7.1).
I certainly wouldn't argue that the art is the strong point, sure. Like I and other folks said above, the fight choreography is truly exceptional. It is a fantasy story but I wonder if the artist has actually studied a bit of that 'Historical European Martial Arts' stuff.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!
I am glad I discovered another wonderful 'ossan' based story. I am glad that most of these ossan stories are drawn by competent mangakas and depict fights like this one in the best possible way.

Dex-chan lover
This. It always feels like for the rumoured master swordsman MC is just standing there and making defensive manoeuvres at most. I wish we had some more active attacks from him or anything really. Like, few chapters ago the vice-captain (iirc) went full juggernaut during his chase of the church guy, constantly going forward and being on the attack even with all his wounds. It was also kinda bullshit that he had to be saved at the end and it kinda ties into my overall complaint - the series is afraid to go all out when all the plot points would suggest it. Like it needs to asspull something to stop the good guys from winning.
But yeah, the choreography and the both imagined and real wounds are great.
I admit I view that differently. We are seeing simply rather different styles. The MC fights defensively and then uses the Enemies momentum for a single hit kill. The fact that he can do so easily against three opponents and pretty much nullify the techniques of unknown master of higher skill than his students shows his mastery. Even his Opponent this chapter realised he was seen through and wondered what he should do know. It is a very fitting style for a Sword Teacher which he was all his life. I don't think you will see him go all Juggernaut like the Vice-Captain since he simply doesn't fight like that but considering I assume the next event will leave him rather pissed that might change of course.
As for the Vice-Commander he didn't actually needed to be "saved". His highly offensive style bit him in the ass and the Enemy managed to get his "Leg" (and admittedly the enemy had to do a trick to do it) and then ran away. Even if you can take that injury it will slow you down so he simply wasn't able to catch up to his enemy.

Miv

Aggregator gang
he really dropped the "Stop yapping" there with the hard "g" and everything

Dex-chan lover
The backstory rumor of the Knight Hunter doesn't make sense unless there are parts missing.

"But of course, there is a Knight Hunter who hunts the church knight order, its perfectly logical to assume he joined the church knight order after killing so many of them. That's why I'm telling you now about this rumor because its the church knight order has no pride or dignity at all."
I was thinking that something happened that made him have to follow the Church Knight Order. Maybe they had some type of leverage or cure to him that forced him to join their ranks.

Double-page supporter
I still can't believe that something that started as generic harem bait ended up being this quality. I am all-in for these fight scenes.

It is more like supreme master and his goodly disciples hanging out, with his goodly disciples consisting of mostly women... 😆

What's really great about this one is how the difficulty of the fight for the protagonist isn't conveyed just through his inner monologue, but also through his opponent's posture and the way his mantle droops to cover his arms and hands, obscuring much of what he's going to do.

It's a simple thing, but the hesitation that comes from not being able to clearly see the positioning of their arms can be fatal; all sword strikes start in the legs before moving to the arms, but from a position like the one his opponent is shown using, there's multiple ways you could strike with the sword, from a simple thrust to a German krumphau or even a zwerchhau, most of which would start at the elbows.
I think the opponent's stance is somewhat similar to Alber, and mc's is Ochs? If they actually fought then he would either aim at the black hair guy's face or upper body, while the other guy would aim to his head from below. Clearly old man didn't plan to block that attack. I wonder how these battle scenes are described in the novel.

Dex-chan lover
Is the story that bad though? I'll agree its no Berserk but I think the writing is slightly better at least than the generic fantasy isekei/iyashikei/"wish fulfillment" type thing.

Yeah, the trappings of a harem are there, but the characters are slightly more complex than the typical. In most stories of this type other male characters tend to be either absent or one dimensional, but in this one both the heroes and the villains have their own stuff going on.

Heimbritz is more than just "initially hates the protag", he's a genuinely nice guy after he was beaten by Beryl and IMO Fissel might be tsundere for him. On the other side, Schupple, despite working for the evil necromancer, seems to have a good heart beneath it all, even mourning for the thief/assassin who killed himself a couple chapters ago. It's a bit, just a bit, more depth than most cardboard moustache twirling villains get in these sorts of series.
a Bleach, My Hero, Naruto, JJK, level managaka is doing this for us and I love it

Users who are viewing this thread