Katainaka no Ossan, Kensei ni Naru: Tada no Inaka no Kenjutsu Shihan Datta noni, Taisei shita Deshi-tachi ga Ore wo Hottekurenai Ken - Vol. 5 Ch. 22 …

Dex-chan lover
The backstory rumor of the Knight Hunter doesn't make sense unless there are parts missing.

"But of course, there is a Knight Hunter who hunts the church knight order, its perfectly logical to assume he joined the church knight order after killing so many of them. That's why I'm telling you now about this rumor because its the church knight order has no pride or dignity at all."
Maybe it's like Jetstream Sam, where the big boss (bishop?) beats the Knight Hunter and now he's forced to work under him.

They did say these guys don't held high position, so it makes sense that they're like some sort of suicide squad.

Double-page supporter
It's always a treat when artists manage to do choreography right. Way too many relies on giant beams of light and blurs of high speed attacks as crutches since they don't really research biomechanics or martial arts
In the WN, the author uses beryl to describe the movements we see...

Dex-chan lover
I swear, every time the MC gets a chance to go wild, the author makes up another reason why he can't.
I am going to argue that we already saw he went all out, just that we never saw how them end because the enemies aren't at Bond villains stupidity.

He went all out when he was in 1v3 a few chapters ago, which he killed one easily and forcing other into full retreat and held for reinforcement, only sensible option. If they fought to the death there we would blame them for being idiotic villains that fight when they have nothing to win.

He also went wild with equal opponent in this chapter. Both acknowledge that the only way to achieve their objectives is a decisive victory, at a coin-flip chance. An outsider looked in and wisely decided it not worth the risk and interfered with what they had. Should Alucia was nearby she would try to interfere in his favor, too. As someone here already ask, why did the knights absent from their duty here?

Decisive battle only happened when BOTH sides decided for it. It's a risky, last resort option that is pretty much a gamble nobody wants to risk if they have a chance. That's why there were very few decisive battles between two equals. If there is any other option, sane people will take it. And enemies here are very aware of that.

Group Leader
The bishop really said "Release the krackheads!"

Maybe it's like Jetstream Sam, where the big boss (bishop?) beats the Knight Hunter and now he's forced to work under him.

They did say these guys don't held high position, so it makes sense that they're like some sort of suicide squad.
The dude real did give off Sam vibes during the first intro in the bar.

Dex-chan lover
The backstory rumor of the Knight Hunter doesn't make sense unless there are parts missing.

"But of course, there is a Knight Hunter who hunts the church knight order, its perfectly logical to assume he joined the church knight order after killing so many of them. That's why I'm telling you now about this rumor because its the church knight order has no pride or dignity at all."
I think the implication is supposed to be "This rogue sect of the church was sending him to kill the knights so they could have less resistance to carry out their plans" or something along those lines. Either that or he's one of Beryl's students that turned to the dark side and got recruited into the church AFTER killing the knights because they promised him something

I like how the old man can be compared on par with magic/ability users (of course, martial art users are not inferior to magic user)

Now, if only we can get to the part where MC and this guy fight full force without interruption... I have a hunch that this guy will be recruited to the good side, however

Dex-chan lover
What's really great about this one is how the difficulty of the fight for the protagonist isn't conveyed just through his inner monologue, but also through his opponent's posture and the way his mantle droops to cover his arms and hands, obscuring much of what he's going to do.

It's a simple thing, but the hesitation that comes from not being able to clearly see the positioning of their arms can be fatal; all sword strikes start in the legs before moving to the arms, but from a position like the one his opponent is shown using, there's multiple ways you could strike with the sword, from a simple thrust to a German krumphau or even a zwerchhau, most of which would start at the elbows.
Yeah, I agree with you and @Qwest entirely, this chapter was absolutely SICK and so is this series' fight choreography in general. Absolutely worth the price of admission IMO. No other manga I've read in a while seems to have as much thought put into the combat. Thanks as always Galaxy Degen, can't wait for the next chapter!

This. It always feels like for the rumoured master swordsman MC is just standing there and making defensive manoeuvres at most. I wish we had some more active attacks from him or anything really. Like, few chapters ago the vice-captain (iirc) went full juggernaut during his chase of the church guy, constantly going forward and being on the attack even with all his wounds. It was also kinda bullshit that he had to be saved at the end and it kinda ties into my overall complaint - the series is afraid to go all out when all the plot points would suggest it. Like it needs to asspull something to stop the good guys from winning.
But yeah, the choreography and the both imagined and real wounds are great.
Tbh I'm ok with it since it kinda reflects the mc's state of mind. He's clearly ridiculously powerful but is constantly putting himself down and what not. It would make sense that someone who doesn't think much of himself wouldn't go on an all out offensive

Dex-chan lover
it’s INSANE how Kazuki Satou is drawing the best fight scenes I’ve ever laid my eyes upon out of Shigeru Sagasaki’s script of a questionable age-gap harem story
Is the story that bad though? I'll agree its no Berserk but I think the writing is slightly better at least than the generic fantasy isekei/iyashikei/"wish fulfillment" type thing.

Yeah, the trappings of a harem are there, but the characters are slightly more complex than the typical. In most stories of this type other male characters tend to be either absent or one dimensional, but in this one both the heroes and the villains have their own stuff going on.

Heimbritz is more than just "initially hates the protag", he's a genuinely nice guy after he was beaten by Beryl and IMO Fissel might be tsundere for him. On the other side, Schupple, despite working for the evil necromancer, seems to have a good heart beneath it all, even mourning for the thief/assassin who killed himself a couple chapters ago. It's a bit, just a bit, more depth than most cardboard moustache twirling villains get in these sorts of series.

Dex-chan lover
Is the story that bad though?
It is at most average, and he's right that the artist is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. I also think the rating here on Mangadex (8.73) is too high and i lean closer to how it's currently rated on mangaupdates (7.1).

Users who are viewing this thread