Katainaka no Ossan, Kensei ni Naru: Tada no Inaka no Kenjutsu Shihan Datta noni, Taisei shita Deshi-tachi ga Ore wo Hottekurenai Ken - Vol. 5 Ch. 21 …

Dex-chan lover
i remember reading a long writing on french executioner method on sword-beheadment.
From the subject positioning, pose, blade swing, and how only if everything done right, the blade could cut through the neck bone and cleanly beheaded the subject.

well, before guillotine invented
The neck/spine, known to be made up of a single bone.

Dex-chan lover
Dude wasn't chopped in half, so I'm still skeptical on him actually killing the guy.
May be dead or dying, definitely out of the fight.

You only need a slight cut on the abdominal muscles to make someone lose his/her entire core stability.
That thin wall of muscle is important for you to be able to move efficiently.

Cut deep enough to hit the connective tissue, and the resulting pain is sufficient enough to make most people fold up and give
up there and then. Don't even need to hit any organs.

Remember kids... If it's sensitive enough to be ticklish, it hurts like fuck when it gets cut...

Dex-chan lover
I love the bloody battle. II am delighted that it keeps the LN´s level of violence.

Beryl is not a knight-errant, neither is he an immortal fighter. When he trains his students he is perfectly aware that he is training them to kill if necessary.

Beryl kills, if he has to, but he will try to leave them alive because the dead don't talk.

Dex-chan lover
I was impressed he cut Euro(the woman) without hesitation. Given the nature of women in this series, I thought he was a bit of a softy toward them, but it seems like if he has to, he will. He IS fighting for his life here, so it only makes sense, though some stories would still have the protagonist hesitate.

I think he might've lost Myui, which is unfortunate, since it'll be the first real L he takes in this story... unless the guy in the mask(Schupple?) will actually "give" her back somehow.

Dex-chan lover
I’m glad it’s a “normal” swordsmanship. The guy got his belly cut instead of sliced into two like butter in most other series.

On top of the thickness of muscles and existence of organs, swords aren’t meant to cut through bones, they can shatter or break bones, but it might damage/chip the blade on the process. Even if Beryl could do it, he probably don’t want to damage his sword needlessly (or recklessly going to deep and getting his sword stuck).
So it makes perfect sense for the cut to be the outcome (the vice-captain’s strength aside).

Another plus would be that the author doesn’t waste time on some meaningless exchange. Swordfights are best when they are swift and decisive.
So we're just gonna pretend the whole episode with Beryl cutting the wooden dummy, made to have similar resistances as the human body, perfectly in half (with a blunt sword) never happened?

Besides, hands have bones too. And he definitely cut through those.

The whole thing with the little girl is just a setup for a "see, you should have relied on others" moment.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
i remember reading a long writing on french executioner method on sword-beheadment.
From the subject positioning, pose, blade swing, and how only if everything done right, the blade could cut through the neck bone and cleanly beheaded the subject.

well, before guillotine invented
---
the name of the executioner is Charles-Henri Sanson
surprisingly well documented family of executioner and subject of Manga Innocent and its sequel Innocent-Rouge

The sword used by said executioner, and by extension many others, are not swords commonly used for battle for two main reasons. One, they are weighted differently, and while many people have a misconception on how heavy swords actually are (a zwei at most could be 4kg or 8/9lbs), an executioner blade is lighter but its sense of balance and weight distrubtion is more on the blade itself, meaning swinging it even for several minutes would exhuast you. They were also short despite being two handed, and blunted tips, meaning the versatility of stabbing and slashing wasn't there, and you didn't even have range to play. Added with the weight makes it super unideal for fighting.

So~~~ the sword master title doesn't just for show.....

for those who doubt that old man could kill someone?

now you got the answer.
s3bueajk8bs4aothj9O5-o.jpg
general kenobi

Dex-chan lover
May be dead or dying, definitely out of the fight.

You only need a slight cut on the abdominal muscles to make someone lose his/her entire core stability.
That thin wall of muscle is important for you to be able to move efficiently.

Cut deep enough to hit the connective tissue, and the resulting pain is sufficient enough to make most people fold up and give
up there and then. Don't even need to hit any organs.

Remember kids... If it's sensitive enough to be ticklish, it hurts like fuck when it gets cut...
Sure, but the intent of the post I was replying to (or at least, what I assumed the intent to be) was about whether or not MC was actually willing to kill someone, despite being a master swordsman. I have no question that this guy's out of the fight, just whether the MC actually put the guy 6 feet under or not.

Otherwise, it's a post asking if people doubted he had the skill to beat someone in a fight, which would be a surprising thing to think considering what we've seen him do.

Dex-chan lover
Bro shat all over their 3v1 lmfao. Needed a fourth for it? And Beryl still doesn't think he is any good lmao. I genuinely LOVE this manga, as much as the wait is so long, I really look forward to these chapters. Cheers everyone and thanks for the TL

Dex-chan lover
No sword cut kill a person immediately... This Manga, although in the fantasy setting, shows a minimally realistic sword fight would be, he redirected the attack of the guy to the girl, parry the third with the scabbard, and with the scabbard he break the guy's instance and do a cut to knock him out of the fight... No exaggerated moviments, clean, direct attacks, minimal energy consumption... Sword duels meant to be like this...

Dex-chan lover
Thanks as always for the translations Galaxy Degen. Yeah, I'm with the other folks here, I wish the chapter was longer but the battle scenes are tight.

Users who are viewing this thread