Kenja no Mago - Vol. 14 Ch. 48

Dex-chan lover
@zz2000
My god you're telling me we gonna have to endure these self-righteous devils for that long??

@Naian While I understand where you are coming from and agree with you, I'm pretty sure it was the twin sister that was used / abused that was saying why don't they help us poor people. For the sister that became a demon, more so than seeing her sister there, she saw that this is basically what would happen to her if she didn't gain any power to be able to protect herself because commoners have nothing and nobles are too powerful while most of them being evil. You can't really blame her when she was doing all she could to survive in a messed up world. That's like blaming a dog that was born in an aggressive environment with barely anyone to teach them how to be loving and compassionate and wanting it put down for that. They made fucked up choices because they needed help and NEVER got it. So gotta do what you gotta do.

at this point i wonder why Shin not just nuclear blast whole devils nation

Dex-chan lover
It might be because of the times we live in but I have developed a real hatred for people that blame others for their situation instead of doing any and everything to change it themselves.
That wire devil and her sister have not a once of sympathy from me.

they ended last chapter with such a nice setup for some not mc fights, only to finish them so fast. Maybe dont intrduce so many character when you only want to show shins fights........

Double-page supporter
"oh hey, i got miserable life on this shitty empire, but the other countries didn't bother save me! so i gonna destroy them!"
its a waste to give retard brain on beautiful body....

Dex-chan lover
Kind of annoyed by these antagonists. Seems so easy for Strom to turn someone with a sob story into a devil, and then the sob stories themselves trying to elicit pity for each antagonist's dumb reasoning.

Despite what everyone says in the comments. I do feel sorry for some of these devils/demons. I don't hate them or criticize them. If they kill any of the MC friends, I still wouldn't hate them since they are basically in a war defending themselves(No matter if they are good or evil) and people die. If you're going to kill someone or thing, be prepared to be killed yourself. That goes for both sides.

Dex-chan lover
yeah well,
despite anything their motives or what their reason..
they already made their choice..
this is War, between Demons or Humans or Whatever there's nothing Good or Evil..
the only matter is who's gonna win the war...

ok to recap,

- amelia became hunted by nobles for saving her sister, who was literally kidnapped and raped by nobles
- her hunter comrades, who were the only people she could rely on, deserted her
- nobody else helped them escape the country or find refuge
- amelia still managed to somehow scrape by and provide for her and her sister despite being fugitives

Amelia was a total badass for being able to rescue her sister, evade capture and execution by nobles, and still manage to survive despite being a young, uneducated woman with no family or friends and nobody to help her. If I were in her situation I would feel helpless and powerless, I probably wouldn't have been able to save my sister in the first place. But I know I would hate nobles and the corrupt power structures they perpetuate. And if my sister were so traumatized by that pervasive system that she convinced me to end her life I wouldn't know where my emotions would drain but to dark and unfathomable depths.

Amelia becoming a devil and killing civilians is reactionary and cathartic, it is definitely not moral (she doesn't even try to justify it) nor is it a compelling theory of change. Perhaps it is partially an attempt to obliterate her own identity as a complacent civilian who was unable to challenge the status quo and was even complicit in some of its horrors, culminating in the assisted suicide of her sister. Most of those civilians never fought back against the injustices or inequalities in their society (such behavior is even discouraged in our world), and they ultimately met even their own death with no agency. It is a twisted revelation that to me is in many ways a penetrating indictment on what their (and our own) society values and prioritizes.

Dex-chan lover
@mahtan

Agreed. She wants to kill the rest of the world because they didn't help her? It was her fault! She could have just taken her sister and vanished into the night to a different country, start a new life, live together, get her sister some help and hope!

Instead she went on a murder-spree and didn't clean up properly so they found out it was her.

What country would invite war from the massive Empire over two random people? You accept two nobility-targeted refugees into your home, the Empire demands you hand them over or they'll go to war with you. The other countries, not wanting to take any losses for something that isn't their fight and doesn't matter to them, won't ally with you, so you have to face the Empire alone. Thousands of innocent people will die to save the lives of two other innocents, one of which wants to die anyway?

By god she's a dumb one.

Dex-chan lover
I'm actually surprised they actually fought to the death and not resolved the battles by converting them with nakama powerTM

Double-page supporter
too much hatred will cloud reasoning, or so they said....

Although I do understand the reason for them to turn into demons, I'm still annoyed how each and every one of them has a sob story of hating the nobles yadieyadieda

Dex-chan lover
Strom is really the only one who accomplished his goal, but didn’t succumb to his rage or ego.
Going to be hilarious if some nobles actually demonize and become a higher rank.

Fed-Kun's army
@abepi I can't see that as a problem. It's not like the story is saying that Nobles are worng, commoners are good. Hell, Strom was a good noble betrayed by commoners who were brainwashed by corrupt noble scum. The point of their story here is to show how corrupted the Empire had become. I do have a problem with her dying to such a wound however, humans die to such wounds, she's no human

Dex-chan lover
@denim
Amelia was a total badass for being able to rescue her sister, evade capture and execution by nobles,
You know why you are wrong here?
Because if her sister were not there she wouldn't have giver two craps about the situation and do as she was contracted to do.
What you fail to see of her situation is the hypocrisy in blaming others for not helping her when she would not have lift a finger to help anyone if it was not for something hitting her personally (this word might be wrong but it is something affecting her directly).

Double-page supporter
That was somewhat sadder than Tony S being dead snapping his finger

@mahtan It's true that Amelia probably wouldn't have taken action if her sister were not there, in fact I never claimed that Amelia was virtuous or infallible. As I said before, perhaps Amelia even saw those parts of herself she hated most in many of the civilians she murdered: individual complacency and complicity in a corrupt society. I'm not trying to excuse the decisions she made that were harmful, but I can sympathize with her trauma and powerlessness in the face of insurmountable adversity. And whether or not Amelia was acting morally does not change that the rescue and care of her sister was a commendable feat that realistically speaking most people, both in real life and in the story world, would not be able to accomplish. Perhaps that is easily overlooked when we have experienced most of the story through the eyes of a comically overpowered savant and his posse of privileged rich kids.

Users who are viewing this thread