Kenja no Mago - Vol. 9 Ch. 28

Dex-chan lover
Such a silly MC.

No one ever explained about the magic batteries solution just to keep him from doing something crazy XD.

Should it be ”Magic King" instead of "Demon King"?

Dex-chan lover
"Our battle is only just beginning"

Fuck, he said the cursed words. RIP manga.

@REDS It should really be "Maou" since the whole point of that joke is that "Maou" can be read as both "Magic King" and "Demon King", with the people calling Shin "Magic King" while he hears it as "Demon King".

@Acolytus i knew that, i mean they should write "Magic King" as the translation. Since Shin react like that every time he's called Maou it shouldn't matter i guess.

Dex-chan lover
@Acolytus

I think I was one of those who suggested translating it. I know that the kanji reads as "magic" + "king" as well as "demon king" when read together, but it just doesn't look good when you leave untranslated words. Also, they're not speaking actual Japanese so the term "demon lord" is just accidentally similar to our world's definition of "demon lord". Shin knows it, they don't.

It's a bit like how "niku" or "meat" in Lazy Dungeon Master is to MC translated as "meat", but it's used as slang by people in the world depending on gender of the person being called that - men are "meat shields" and women are "sex slaves". The only reason official translation left it as-is is because the MC himself uses that term as a name, so it would be dumb for him to call someone "Meat" unlike other characters who received "Japanese-sounding" names from him.

Dex-chan lover
I'm in agreence with @Elrinion. I'm not even sure what the demons are even doing anymore. From my understanding it's a generic "take over the world" scenario. But they keep just doing things to piss off Shin.

Maybe it's anger that demonizes someone?

Did I just crack the case?

@REDS I think the best way to represent this would be that for Shin's dialogue boxes you have it say "Demon King" but for everyone else's dialogue boxes it says "Magic King". Of course if you do that you will want a translators note that says the original word "Maou" can be read as both "Magic King" and "Demon King" and that Shin interprets it as Demon King but everyone else uses it as meaning Magic King.

@Kourgath223 yeah but that will be a pain in the ass to put tl note every time. But tl note just only at the prev chapter would do, since that's the joke. Someone who don't understand the reference might not get it since shin is a hero who is fighting demon/devil why would the king give him the title demon lord?

Dex-chan lover
@Abedeus By this point, I'm pretty sure everyone would know what a "Maou" is, at most a brief translator note would be necessary to explain the Magic King/Demon King readings. Actually, even with the current translation such a note would be necessary because otherwise people won't get why people are calling him Demon King all of a sudden.

Honestly, I feel like I'm missing something because the whole different readings jokes make no fucking sense if they aren't speaking japanese or a language that is really similar. Unless Shin has some auto-translation skill that I forgot about.

It's not really that much of an issue but it looks really weird when the translation has everyone say "Demon King/Lord" when there are actual demons in the setting (what japanese term do they use for them, by the way?) and no one seems to find this weird other than Shin. It also makes no sense because why would they call the magician leading the fight against the demons a Demon King?

My personal suggestion is to either leave it as just "Maou" and explain the reading thing in a TN or to use "Magic King" which seems to make more sense and allows Shin's reaction to the title to be handwaved as him associating Magic Kings with Demon Kings or evil overlords in general.

Dex-chan lover
@Xunder why'd you think Shin's super embarrassed about it? because it sounds absolutely chuuni to him and us, duh.

So learning how to read is also a skill gained during the demonization since I highly doubt a kingdom like that would teach commoners how to read, but no surprise since they also instantly learned how to use magic too. Maria finally learned that popularity is often only nice from the outside.

VIP
@Wolvenworks No, not because of that. Why is he a "demon lord" when he's a human and there are actually demons around. "Magic King" sounds better suited to a human.

Dex-chan lover
@Xunder if you remember Shin made a comment because Magic King and demon lord are said the same way in Japanese Maou which is where the joke came from with the words Maho(Magic) and Ou(King) but Maho Sounds and is spelled almost the same as Mao(Demon) so that is why he is called Demon Lord

Dex-chan lover
You guys keep arguing about the "demon lord/magic king" naming and I'll be here defending the real demons real quick.

Honestly, I don't get why the manga has such a low score (to me; I'd rate it at least an 8 for MAL but it's actually a 7). Cliche is not a good reason to talk bad about a story. Look at My Hero Aca as an example. He said that he's the number one hero from ep one yet we keep on consuming each chapter with delight. In other words: it's not about the ending but rather the journey.

Yeah, all the demons seem to have the same motivation of 'revenge' but all you guys are seeing their plans and not their actions. I say that you better see the ending before you judge it. I personally love this series just because on their unique theme of "antagonists are also trying to live their own lives" that isn't really seen much elsewhere.

You could argue that new =/= good but at the end of the day this whole thing is experimental. So let's just stick onto this roller coaster amd see where it takes us, shall we?

i see the death flag ! noooooooooooooooo
must be my imagination...

Users who are viewing this thread