The Summer You Were There - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Memories

Dex-chan lover
Manh this girl is a bitch
It's like I'm watching a girlish version of snobby bakugo

It's really sad to see how it worked out like this... I get why people are calling her a bitch and all but I really hope that she's able to move past it. Living in her past and feeling nothing but self-hatred isn't going to be doing her any good. I hope Kaori can help her move on because I doubt she'll be able to do it on her own. 😭

Dex-chan lover
Damn I thought she was overreacting at the extreme self hatred she had for herself, since I thought it just regular middle school bullying, but this is pretty bad. I guess it does make sense now how she hates herself for it.

Group Leader
ah yes, i still remember me back then believing every compliment that was tossed at me (though i didn't really bully anyone over it). i completely understands how why she did it cause i was the same when i was that age.

Dex-chan lover
Not saying what she did id good but the others kids are not helping either. Like if you're afraid of her, why not just say to a teacher so they can talk to her ? Like, the others are as guilty as she is by not helping more than that. And please, how you can tell from a distance she did it with intent to make her trip ? That's as stupid as her attitude.

@Lilliwyt I agree! Kids sure are quick to be like "ehhhhh but we told you it was wrong" when if they were truly trying that hard to stop her then she would have stopped. Especially since she thought she was doing the "right" thing.
Also, the tripping thing is stupid. If they're so quick to jump on the "you pushed her" train then it just seems like they were waiting for her to do something big instead of just telling her outright. Like "we'll tolerate it up to here," 😔

😕 Poor Ruri

Thanks for the chapter

I like that the last page of each chapter represents how they are going

Dex-chan lover
Okay what she did was horrible yes but the Thing is she was still a Kid and if you don't clearly tell Kids that they are doing something wrong they wont change because they don't have any experience. Somebody needed to clearly tell her and just sidenotes like "hey your going a bit to far" wont do it for a Kid.

I was worried that the background behind this would be a cop out, but I'm glad that she was being pretty shitty. Of course, it's understandable exactly why she acted the way she did, but it doesn't change the effects that she had on others. It's not as bad as it could have been, or as I would have liked, but I think this is a nice compromise.

Aggregator gang
Some commenters are defending Shizuku by arguing she didn't deliberately trip Ruri, and so kid Kaori (I assume that's Kaori) is being too hard on her. But even if she didn't intend for her to spill the curry, Shizuku deliberately shoved a girl she knows is physically weak while she was obviously struggling with a heavy object. Anyone with even an ounce of awareness could tell she would trip. And that's the point - Shizuku never bothered to try and understand Ruri. She only thought about herself. So it doesn't matter whether Shizuku deliberately tripped Ruri, or if she just shoved Ruri so she'd move faster; she's at fault either way.

That doesn't mean Shizuku can't mature, or that she should never forgive herself. But in that moment she was really shitty to Ruri, and she deserved to be called out.

And the bullying felt similar to ASV, except the fact that Shizuku didn't know what she was doing was bullying.... Well I guess u could argue Shoya didn't either

Aggregator gang
Yeah Shizuku shouldn't have pushed her but I think she overestimated her strength/grossly underestimated Ruri's? In her mind, she was giving Ruri tough love. She thought that she could motivate Ruri to change if she told her the truth to her face- as opposed to the others who were talking about Ruri behind her back. The messed up thing was Shizuku was basically just saying what everyone else was feeling yet no one really bothered to know why Ruri was so weak and missing school so much. Like I pretty much get she's sick and maybe little Kaori knows because they spent days at the hospital together? But Shizuku and the others never bother to say she's sickly. Maybe I need to do a re-read but it seems like Shizuku, and maybe all of them, just assume she's weak and maybe lazy?

It doesn't really seem like she did it out to arouse a feeling of superiority and maybe Kaori realizes that. I think seeing how much Shizuku has changed maybe makes her feel guilty about the slap? All in all, it seems like it's a classic case of everyone just reacting without bothering to understand each other... But Ruri's appearance certainly makes those sickly death flags for Kaori even more evident. 😰😭

Users who are viewing this thread