Kimi wa, Nina Janai - Ch. 7 - I'm not Nina

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I'm waiting for someone to call out shitty parents in several series, but I doubt it will ever happen.

It's likely never going to happen though. Respect for elders/authority is so highly ingrained and prioritized that as long as the parents have something that even only approaches the tiniest fractional amount of a reasonable explanation/excuse, they're going to get off with just an admission that they might've caused harm and immediate forgiveness from everyone else.

Like the series I just described had the dad basically claim that it was his right to treat his daughter however he wanted even though most of his abuse was the result of him taking her attempts to cheer him up after the death of his wife badly (like she cooked her dad's favorite dish and he threw it against the wall and accused her of trying to taunt him about his wife being dead and keep him in pain) and he was more than willing to beat her so viciously that she would essentially never heal properly so that people would stay away from her and completely destroy the career and life prospects of the guy that helped her because in the dad's mind he had no right to get in the way of him treating his daughter how he wished. He gets a little bit of physical pushback when he tries to go after the other guy and flees the house. While he's out some hoodlums jump him and in the scuffle he accidentally kills one of them and gets arrested for it. From here that arrest is treated like karma and the best possible outcome because he serves jail time but it doesn't have to come to light that he's an abusive scumbag who beat his daughter to the point of severely injuring her. She nor no one else presses charges for the abuse, and neither she nor the MC who was protecting her do so much as confront him about how unforgivably terrible it was for him to raise a hand to his own child, especially for as selfishly stupid of a non-reason as he had.

But everyone is satisfied by this because it's more important that both MCs apparently forgive him for being an absolutely deplorable bastard while he's sort of penitent without actually directly apologizing for even a fraction of what he did other than saying something like "I made mistakes"

This is obviously the most extreme example of this sort of behavior, but it is the storytelling norm for manga if not a cultural norm for Japan itself. It's highly unlikely that it changes any time soon.

Group Leader
Update for anyone checking looking for one (I'll be posting this at the end of the thread as well.) Just had my wisdom teeth removed and I'm currently a few weeks from moving, so it'll probably be awhile before I do any updates. I just wanted to apologize for that in advance.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the added context. I did check, and she does use Katakana ニーナ in the Raws. Her name as written in the raw on page nine is 新菜, with 新(にい)菜(な.) I don't actually know what the kanji means, because by attempt to check on Jisho.com gives me "New" and "Vegetable" for each character, so...
They do mean 'new vegetables' (or fresh greens), but I think it's not meant as a literal reading. Like Chinese, when importing the hanzi into kanji, the Japanese originally used kanji to both read meanings and to read only vocally. It's how we got 米国 ('rice country') to mean America. It would seem weird at first glance that a country without rice would be called rice country, but that's because America used to be spelled 亜米利加 (a-me-ri-ka) in kanji, and Americans addressed as 米利堅 (me-ri-ken), which was where the 米 (rice) came from.

So I think the name being spelled outright with kanji like that is more of an indication that she comes from a distinguished, old-blood kind of family that still uses these spellings for given names.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for translating!

Pretty much a non-chapter, since she avoided the issue. Well, some fluff is nice too, especially in light of what people said is to come.

Users who are viewing this thread