Kingdom - Ch. 797 - Crumbling Away

Dex-chan lover
Ousen was planning on using Shin and Ouhon to maneuver across the field, he was expecting to play a complex game of chess, one where Riboku and Him were constantly trying to take each other pieces using tactics and maneuvers all over the field.

But then Riboku came and forced his pieces to act on their own by putting himself in danger and baiting Akou and Shin into making quick decisions without waiting for Ousen's orders, then Ouhon was forced to cover for Shin's absence against a force so much more bigger, thus unable to do anything but just try to prevent his wing from collapsing. Once that happened there was little to nothing he could've done: His strongest general was trapped, his wildest card was lured away and now an unstoppable force in the form of Shibashou forced every single ounce of strength from Ousen's army to focus on trying the impossible.

No one was dumbed down. Riboku simply removed Ousen's capability of doing anything. This is the same that happened to Ouki, Riboku forced him into a situation where "might makes right", back then Houken was mightier than Ouki, this time Shibashou was mightier than anyone in Ousen's army.

Dex-chan lover
Ousen was planning on using Shin and Ouhon to maneuver across the field, he was expecting to play a complex game of chess, one where Riboku and Him were constantly trying to take each other pieces using tactics and maneuvers all over the field.

But then Riboku came and forced his pieces to act on their own by putting himself in danger and baiting Akou and Shin into making quick decisions without waiting for Ousen's orders, then Ouhon was forced to cover for Shin's absence against a force so much more bigger, thus unable to do anything but just try to prevent his wing from collapsing. Once that happened there was little to nothing he could've done: His strongest general was trapped, his wildest card was lured away and now an unstoppable force in the form of Shibashou forced every single ounce of strength from Ousen's army to focus on trying the impossible.

No one was dumbed down. Riboku simply removed Ousen's capability of doing anything. This is the same that happened to Ouki, Riboku forced him into a situation where "might makes right", back then Houken was mightier than Ouki, this time Shibashou was mightier than anyone in Ousen's army.
If I were to explain it in fewer words. Ousen came prepared for a duel to see who was the best master swordsman, but then Riboku tackled him and made it into a brawl on the mud.

Dex-chan lover
SO, Riboku won by making his plan just attack and we will win, and because it was so simple Ousen failed? Like that is the idea were are going with? Man, I don't know what to say but that sounds so stupid to me. Like sure stupid shit happened in real life too but man Ousen had so much set up and it really felt like he tripped and fell with his face not in the dirt but thought the earth.
Remember way back when Duke was talking to Shin about being able to determine where to set the fire in battle? Riboku snuffed that out.

Dex-chan lover
That's kinda interesting. So old man Mougou, whose main skill was grinding through regular engagements and inspiring his men to grit their teeth and stand their ground, had two subordinates who are geniuses in unconventional tactics and strategy but totally suck at fighting normally. Both Ousen and Kanki share this exact same weakness. So the "mediocre" old man who never earned greatness was all along the key to his own success. It was because he was around that his subordinates could shine as much as they did. He was the core - the foundation - that supported their towers. Without him they quickly ran out of "luck".

Dex-chan lover
That's kinda interesting. So old man Mougou, whose main skill was grinding through regular engagements and inspiring his men to grit their teeth and stand their ground, had two subordinates who are geniuses in unconventional tactics and strategy but totally suck at fighting normally. Both Ousen and Kanki share this exact same weakness. So the "mediocre" old man who never earned greatness was all along the key to his own success. It was because he was around that his subordinates could shine as much as they did. He was the core - the foundation - that supported their towers. Without him they quickly ran out of "luck".
"Ousen is such a good general, he just can't win a basic, by the book battle". Mougou, lover of books and doing things by them, must be spinning in his grave to see his protege shit the bed in a scenario he should've witnessed dozens of times at his side.

Dex-chan lover
While not exactly a complete parallel, what's said here is commonly found in wargames so I can understand the logic behind.
Sometimes the most straightforward and simple armies are the one who are the greatest pain in the ass because they have a tendency of one, have the per-model strength to back the simplicity; and two, be particularly good at negating your strengths.

I guess Ousen is like the player used to play Eldar and he just fought Orks for the first time, huh...

Dex-chan lover
NO, NOT THE GIANT WAIFU... TELL ME SHE'S NOT DEAD

Dex-chan lover
Najara ships it, and so do I

Well Heki time to start simping for Kintari instead of Mantawa

SO, Riboku won by making his plan just attack and we will win, and because it was so simple Ousen failed? Like that is the idea were are going with? Man, I don't know what to say but that sounds so stupid to me. Like sure stupid shit happened in real life too but man Ousen had so much set up and it really felt like he tripped and fell with his face not in the dirt but thought the earth.
Murdered by words 😂 can you imagine Ousen going back to explain why he lost and why all those men died:
"🎎 Ousen, why did we lose so easily? Their tactics seem so straightforward."
"👺Their tactic was so basic that I couldn't do anything. As you know, I don't do well with basics, complexity is my thing."
"🎎 Ousen, why didn't you engage and instigate this complexity yourself rather than relying on others? "
"👺 That is a good idea, I have never thought about that. I'll keep it in mind for next time."
"🎎 Ousen... There won't be a next time. You're fired."

I understand the POV raised by other commentators, but I really was waiting and expecting Ousen to have a really clever plan, or at least be very powerful, but it seemed to me that nothing redeemable occured except the saving Heki part which has nothing to do with Ousen plan. Maybe the saving succeeded simply because Ousen wasn't supervising it? 💀

If we at least had a panel with Riboku telling us his opinion: "It was tricky thinking up of this plan to trap Ousen.. I was right to not underestimate him" or "Ousen is the dumbest general I've fought, I had prepared for 8 more traps, but only needed 2. He didn't take advantage of my blunder either. I totally overestimated him."
It would give us an estimation of Ousen's ability despite of his failure, but we are left with this... Whatever this is... At least, Heki and the gang breaking out was impressive, including his alleged boner. Ousen didn't even have one boner, it's the least he could have done..

Dex-chan lover
Remember what Ousen said about Shukai Plains? "Card for card, we held the stronger hand"?
Well, this time it was Riboku with the stronger hand. Completely Ousen's fault for underestimating the might of Seika, but his defeat here makes sense. Riboku simplified the gamestate to the point where there was no room for strategy.

Moubu would have won this battle.

Dex-chan lover
Remember what Ousen said about Shukai Plains? "Card for card, we held the stronger hand"?
Well, this time it was Riboku with the stronger hand. Completely Ousen's fault for underestimating the might of Seika, but his defeat here makes sense. Riboku simplified the gamestate to the point where there was no room for strategy.

Moubu would have won this battle.

I think most people just forget the Qin started the battle with a clear disadvantage in both numbers and logistics. They always needed some sort of brilliant strategy to win the fight. Riboku simply prevented use of any such strategy and pushed the battle to reach its natural outcome.

Dex-chan lover
The series has, unfortunately, gotten deeply stupid over time. There used to be more overhead shots of battle when there was actual care paid to keeping things plausible.

Users who are viewing this thread