Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 22 Ch. 235 - I'm Heading Out

Dex-chan lover
Beautiful. I once read on a website that when they graduate, they "usually" follow one of two paths: either they take a supplementary course and finish their studies+specialization, or they get married~ :nyoron:
Thks for the tl~

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

So it's they themself that ultimately decide what path they must take at the end of time limit, when I think that they will take a job around the place but they can choose other path too...
@.@...

Dex-chan lover
Life really is a path of constant choices.

You know... I really love this series, it is warm, fuzzy, and fun... but I can't forget the loaded story that the Geisha culture has, and I mean LOADED.

Even if there is a structure to the system now... the roots of this profession haven't really gone away, I think both in the ideological sense... and the practical one (I will leave it to you to understand what I mean by that).

There is something beautiful in the micro-circle of this society (at least now in modern times) but at the same time they are still entertainers for a system that prioritizes people who very well don't see them as people, but as props to show influence and wealth, and even if there is "respect" in that... it is a soul-crushing reality for most.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if Kiyo will stay once Momohana's time's up. At this point she's found a very stable job.
She might go with her, or Kenta might show a backbone and ask her to marry him. If they get married and stay in the area, she can still do her job and Kenta can be a chef. If she moves out she is going to have to get a raise since she will not be living there.

Dex-chan lover
If they quit, they’ll be in their early twenties without a highschool diploma. It’s gonna be a sprint to study to get a normal career, or do mostly part time jobs while gunning for some qualifications, or… they got a partner and get married I guess.
Sounds rough overall….

Dex-chan lover
I r
If they quit, they’ll be in their early twenties without a highschool diploma. It’s gonna be a sprint to study to get a normal career, or do mostly part time jobs while gunning for some qualifications, or… they got a partner and get married I guess.
Sounds rough overall….
I presume, and I am only presuming, that the governmental system that presides over the cultural heritages of Japan recognizes the maiko training as a form of specialized education.

Don't know how valuable it is in the market outside of the immediate profession, but the connection that exists between the many traditional professions in Japan is very strong, so maybe she could work at something with ties to culture or maybe she can take a course that accepts the maiko training as credit.

I say this because the Geishas are considered not only a cultural heritage by the government but as an important source of income for the city (as a tourist attraction), so the "system" must have subsidies from the government so that the structure doesn't only depend on private initiative.

But if I remember correctly... the city of Kyoto in recent years was on the brink of bankruptcy, the mismanagement of the government officials with the "priorities" was... horrendous, like they wasted hundreds of millions (maybe a few billion) yen in making a useless office, not a crucial office, just one that looked nice, then came the covid and the city of Kyoto depends on tourist money with the many travel prohibitions the country government imposed... well... the bubble finally popped.

Dont know how things are now, but I don't think they are much better.

Dex-chan lover
It makes sense that those who don't wish to stay are free to go, but man it must be rough adjusting to the normal world after living like that through your developmental years. Still feels really weird that this is a thing young girls are allowed to do, especially since it doesn't seem like the organization (I have no idea what else to call it, system?) has any safeguards for those who stay or go.

From what I know, Japan is really cutthroat when it comes to education, not really sure how that plays out when it comes to college, or getting a job (like if you go to a good high school are colleges more likely to accept you? If you go to a good college are jobs more likely to hire you?) and since misogyny is still very prevalent in the workforce, finding someone who'll a woman who doesn't have a formal/traditional education is gonna be tough.

Was there ever a chapter explaining how the Maiko's make money? Do they have their own bank accounts, or is all of their money handled by their manor? Are certain Maiko's "more expensive" than others? Do they get tips or commission? All that to say how is someone in their mid twenties, who hasn't worked a traditional job, supposed to rent a pace in the middle of Kyoto?? WHERE IS ALL THIS MONEY COMING FROM!?!?!!??!!? Being a Geiko sounds tough, do they even teach them how to pay taxes or are they supposed to figure that out on their own too????

Man, this story really is fluffy and warm and nice. But the reality of maiko is quite horrible. Real girls/women have spoken up about their experience, about the sexual harrassment and how they are stuck there due to the financial problem/nowhere to go without proper education like other comments have said. Basically glorified prostitution, so I dont know if the author just lives in a happy, lovely bubble or they know and intentionally tries to place a rose-tinted glass over it

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes it's like that in the arts. But it doesn't mean you won't use what you learned, or carry it with you.

Dex-chan lover
Was there ever a chapter explaining how the Maiko's make money? Do they have their own bank accounts, or is all of their money handled by their manor? Are certain Maiko's "more expensive" than others? Do they get tips or commission? All that to say how is someone in their mid twenties, who hasn't worked a traditional job, supposed to rent a pace in the middle of Kyoto?? WHERE IS ALL THIS MONEY COMING FROM!?!?!!??!!? Being a Geiko sounds tough, do they even teach them how to pay taxes or are they supposed to figure that out on their own too????
I don't think it's ever been covered but there's a direct answer here and I'm sure it's not going to be a surprise.

Maiko (apprentice geisha) don’t receive any salary, as they are in training. The okiya (maiko lodging house) pays for everything, starting with food, taxis, and accommodation, to kimono and classes. Maiko get some small stipend each month, so they can go shopping during their days off. Geiko (geisha) receive a full compensation for their job engagements, however, the monthly income depends on the amount of hours they work. Just like theater performers, there is a huge variation in the income of the geisha based on the skills and popularity. It can be anywhere between $3K a month to tens of thousands of dollars for a popular geisha as she can also get gifts from her clients including expensive silk kimono and gems that cost more than 5 figures etc.. Geisha’s salary is secret.

Since being a maiko is, essentially, an apprenticeship they're not making anything but they're also not paying for anything either as the okiya provides and pays for all of it.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think it's ever been covered but there's a direct answer here and I'm sure it's not going to be a surprise.
Man, I was really hoping they'd at least make something, didn't expect much but NOTHING is insane seeing how much work these CHILDREN put into becoming a MaIko.
I appreciate what this manga does for getting rid of the stigma/correcting misinfo on Maiko/Geiko culture (like how it's not prostitution). It's really cool! It's nice to see well kept traditions like this!
... But at the same time I wish it covered some of the bad stuff too! Taking girls as young as 14, having them dress up and dance to entertain old men is really weird! Even if not sexual! AND THEY DON'T GET PAID!?!?!?!?! No fucking wonder Momohana's mom doesn't support her. I would love to speak to someone Irl who's either currently or or was a maiko/geiko at one point to ask about what it's like

Dex-chan lover
Maiko are apprentices, not professionals. Geisha/Geiko (geiko is the Kyoto dialect term) are the opposite though and as said can earn quite a bit of money. Maiko also work a lot as again, it's apprenticeship and training so reps are important, while a geiko can set her own schedule and work as much or as little as she pleases and as far as I can tell keeps everything. It's hard work but seems to reward those who put in the effort.

And again, the okiya is at least paying for everything and providing a stipend. They work for free but are also provided free room and board, free training, free meals, all of their kimonos and hair appointments are free, etc.

Dex-chan lover
Man, I was really hoping they'd at least make something, didn't expect much but NOTHING is insane seeing how much work these CHILDREN put into becoming a MaIko.
I appreciate what this manga does for getting rid of the stigma/correcting misinfo on Maiko/Geiko culture (like how it's not prostitution). It's really cool! It's nice to see well kept traditions like this!
... But at the same time I wish it covered some of the bad stuff too! Taking girls as young as 14, having them dress up and dance to entertain old men is really weird! Even if not sexual! AND THEY DON'T GET PAID!?!?!?!?! No fucking wonder Momohana's mom doesn't support her. I would love to speak to someone Irl who's either currently or or was a maiko/geiko at one point to ask about what it's like
Sorry that I can't give you a direct link, but if you want to know about the Geisha's modern bad side... go on YT and search about an ex-maiko making "accusations" of misconduct of clients with her.

I saw that a few years back (maybe two) and the notice was already a little old, but the gist of it was... she revealed that some clients she was entertaining pressured her to drink alcohol, and if memory serves me... were too "handy" with her after it, it didn't seem to devolve in a more "serious" problem but she was 14-15 during the time, the alcohol is problem enough already.

She quit because she couldn't handle it, and her reveal of those acts was a few years later, which brings another problem... people accused her of lying about what she dealt, saying things like "Why didn't she say anything when it happened", like a teenager wouldn't be in shock with the situation or that she wouldn't know how to talk about it with the authorities or that even... the people of the training house wouldn't say that she should just "suck it up", so to not cause trouble with the clientele.

It is a long list of problems, that goes from misogyny to the own system that should protect them not giving a damn so that they can protect their business.]

Truth be told... if you dig a little on Yt or other places, I doubt you will have any difficulty finding stories like this.

The culture can say what they want about how Geisha were never prostitutes but entertainers, but the truth... only the best of the best of the best of them had any protection against being forcibly "used", and even then... I doubt they were much safer, now things certainly aren't like in the past, but the stigma is still there close to certain... expectations.

It can be a beautiful thing, but it does not absolve it of its ugliness.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread