Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House

Dex-chan lover
Kiyo is the best, she reminds me of my aunt who loves cooking while the sun is still bright. Just the sight of someone gently cooking in the kitchen takes me back home real fast. Kiyo best girl, the only godsend character.

It's a nice take to see a guy using his female friends as goals. It's certainly not the first time I've seen it happen in a manga, but the vibe of it feels much more relaxed vs competitive as I've seen in portrayed in other series. Makes me want to root for Kenta as much as we root for kiyo and sumire'

I just finished chapter 70. Now, I like the manga, with how it shows the Japanese Geisha culture. It's new and interesting for me. It's a good slice of life. But till now in the story, I do not see any character development for Kiyo. I mean Suu chan went from a trainee to apprentice to a maiko. She is a deuteragonist and we get to follow her journey which is well and good, But at least do something for the protagonist. Now, I know Kiyo is not cut out for that maiko stuff but is she just going to cook a new dish every day till Suu chan becomes a geiko. I am hoping to see some change in her by the time I catch up to the latest chapter. This is just my personal opinion/rant. For those who are caught up to the manga, feel free to add your opinions.

I will give the anime a try but I feel like the animation style is not for me. After the nightmare of the CGI piano hands of piano no mori I do not trust NHK anime with 3D on it too much.

@roseofquartz agreed, Kiyo definitely wasn't sad about quitting being a Maiko. At the same time, she never even got the chance to go to high school and is going to be doing low wage/unpaid domestic labor her whole life. (I feel the same about Kenta). Maybe I'm projecting when I feel sad about that - the characters seem perfectly happy with their lot - but I can't help but feel a little sorry for them

I don't understand if they all live in the same city and like to see each other, why not make plans?? Go grocery shopping together? Take the train home together? Ask Kiyo to show you how to cook?

Also yeah I wish they were at least done high school and perhaps working while in college. At this rate their futures are a bit sad.

Fed-Kun's army
@Submarina
@Moxifer
I don't see why there is any reason to worry about Kiyo's future, it's not like she is wasting away her youth. She has been learning and improving her cookings. Plus, I don't think cooking for geishas is a low paing job. Not to mention she now has an entire house of maiko/ future geisha as her businesses network.

@submarina TBH though, Kiyo may simply not been cut out for high school either, and she’ll still have a chance to go to an equivalent education if she ever decides to go. (In that same vein, Kenta
obviously gave up high school as well when he had to give up baseball)
. Kiyo is obviously skilled at what she does, and she’ll have a HUGE following of good recommendations behind her afterwards. Like, yeah, she’ll probably never be rich, but she’ll be happy and comfortable.

@moxifer Maiko aren’t allowed to have cell phones, and Kiyo probably doesn’t have one either, so it’s VERY unlikely either of them knows Kenta’s number. Basically, NO ONE thinks anything through. They’re still kids, guys, it’s fine.

Also, THANK YOU MANGAKA for not only focusing back on Kiyo for one chapter, but for addressing who’s been helping Granny out! Seriously, I’ve had anxiety over that.

I think the story progresses more with suuchan. Also, i know they’re still kids, but i hope suuchan and kiyo do something about their co-dependency. I can see suuchan being a successful geisha like her nee-san (that pretty one with lots of men after her what was her name), but yeah i hope kiyo learns some independence because at this rate i can only see her working on the maiko house, so what will happen when suuchan has to leave the manor? Kiyo is only middle school graduate.
About kenta, his character feels flat... I still don’t see why he gave up on high school and suddenly gets all interested in cooking.

Fed-Kun's army
@kumachan_0201 for kenta, I think it's probably rivalry, he felt left out by two of his best friends (childhood)
They are all already working while he is in school, it felt like they have a headstart more than him and he is lagging behind (maybe kinda that feeling when your friends get jobs first after graduating, while you are still doing job hunting, there is that pressure). And since he can't go pro because of his injury, I think what @roseofquartz said is correct, he probably gave up on school because he gave up on baseball.

I feel like in japan, there are people who went into professional industry after middle school or high school, either they learn how to become sushi chefs, etc. In this story sumire went and became a maiko, and then when she reach adulthood she will become geiko. Tho it is a very different culture than I have in my life, like not having backups, only have 1 thing to pursue as a career for your whole life, that kinda felt like scary... But then the culture is different in Japan

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

It just seems like Kiyo has no free time if she were to do this forever. But yeah maybe one of them will hire her privately.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

@xxkyou
Lifelong careers are still mostly the norm in Japan. i.e. staying with ONE company or whatnot until you retire, and usually revolving your whole life around that company (i.e. your company wants you to move across the country, you just do it). They used to be the norm in Western society too (it's one of the reasons baby boomers get confused at younger generations for struggling to find or stay with work, compared to them, millennials and whatnot change jobs, companies, careers every 6+ years on average).

Kenta's whole life revolved around baseball (which, again, is pretty norm in Japan if you wanna go pro one day), it's unfortunate, but it's not surprising he quit high school as well (especially he went to a specific high school that put a lot of work and effort into their baseball teams). Him moving to Kyoto and deciding to try out a culinary job though? I 100% think it's because of Kiyo and Suu. I don't even know if he finds cooking enjoyable like Kiyo does, but he does know that both Kiyo and Suu are happy in Kyoto.

Code:

Users who are viewing this thread