Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House

Fed-Kun's army
@roseofquartz
yeah, I agree that it is the norm in Japan, to have only one job till the rest of your life, or staying in one company till the end. It's not my generation culture, idk about my parents. Millenials in my country changes job fast too, we indeed need money, and changing companies are usually the fastest way to get promotion etc lol.
Me saying like sumire does not have backups is because of that, like she can't change jobs because what she is doing right now is what she will be doing for the rest of her life (almost all professional jobs are like that right?). Like she can't suddenly do office jobs or change jobs, it's kinda scary like to depend your livelihood on only one thing, but that's just my thought, sumire is passionate after all, I am a person with barely any passion, so I could not relate to that haha. Tho most manga characters are passionate, which made their story interesting to read.

@xxkyou
That really depends on how you look at it. With lower birth rates it means less prospective new employees to pick out, which means (save for using workers from overseas, which Japanese culture has other issues about) that Japanese employees and companies have to look at different hiring methods (the traditional method in Japan used to be hiring them while they were still in uni/college in their last year or just as they're leaving) including looking at older workers who are changing careers.

Also, the professionalism, public performing and the communication skills she needs as a maiko/geiko are actually pretty transferable and very desirable in a lot of careers. If Suu-chan can pick up on a few other skills (technical/computer skills or language for example), finding a 'backup' job isn't necessarily going to be hard, and that's assuming that one of your preferred clients isn't going to help pull some strings or outright hire you themselves for their own company as an assistant/OL/secretary, etc.

The One
Staff
Admin
@Winstonite we can lock the manga title if needed, but you'd have to message us/report it when a change needs to be made afterwards.

@roseofquartz @xxkyou

Actually, lifelong job careers have never quite been the norm in Japan, except among white collar workers who worked for bigger companies in the 3rd sector, and the number of japanese workers in lifetime employment has been on the decrease since the burst of the economic bubble of the early to mid 90s. There has also been an increase of dispatched employees. That's why you see more and more manga and anime with freeters as main characters, doing some part-time jobs, instead of white collar adult workers with superhuman endurance like a salaryman Kintarô. Maiko-san is a refreshing manga in that it portrays young characters who have chosen a job career early on instead of entering or continuing high school.

Dex-chan lover
@roseofquartz I agree with you, she already have the skill & experience in hosting a high ranking person after all.

Well at minimal she can open a restaurant or cafe with Kiyo & Kenta, Sumire can become the cashier, ad, and the manager, while Kiyo & Kenta work in the kitchen & as a waiter. To be honest, I think with how beautiful Sumire is, just let her sit in the counter is enough to draw costumer in.

This one probably has to be my favorite manga for its honest and laid-backed nature. It's impressive that this manga is the only one I can't read in one sitting. It has such a savor to that I can only be enjoyed by reading a a few chapters a day. Probably the best way to read this one is to do tons of work and then sit down with it during short breaks. It's absolutely refreshing and a great help for my studies.

Dex-chan lover
reading this manga makes me feel sad by the chapter for some reason lol. And I ended up dropping it, it made me feel uncomfortable somehow, welp.

I'm at around chapter 140 and im honestly really sad about kiyo's reaction to Kenta's injury, I know its supposed to show that she believes in him but damn, not even a tear or a question about it, F for my boy Kenta.

Group Leader
for anyone who doesn't know: maiko-san has an anime that is coming out on the 25th (this thursday) on nhk world japan! i think it's streamed globally but i'm not sure whether it would be subbed or not. still from the pv, it looks amazing and i can't wait to see more ppl get into this series from the anime :D

Fed-Kun's army
I feel like I’m going to drop this manga soon which makes me sad because i genuinely liked kiyo :,(

I just feel that in the recent chapters, Suu is now the main character which isn’t bad!! but kiyo has pushed so far to the sidelines when this manga is about her. It’s not called The maiko at the maiko manor for a reason. And I was really rooting for kenta and kiyo to get together but at this current development?? kiyo is a literal tiny cooking robot and it seems like it’s going to be Suu-Chan and Kenta.

Group Leader
@mootmar @Jose_Joestar2404 welp i can definitely see where you guys are coming from and it's a valid criticism for this manga! (sorry if this is too long 😅)

even with sumire and kenta being the mains, i feel like this has been a problem for quite some time? i love kiyo but she can feel is pretty one dimensional and predictable sometimes (she is happy all the time, loves her best friends, loves to cook, and super proud of her best friends) unlike kenta and sumire, like when kenta couldn't play baseball anymore, we could see more of their feelings about each other and the things they love.
i do really hope in the chapters to come the mangaka would develop her personality and explore her hopes and dreams more!!

Dex-chan lover
I see in Instagram ad that there will an anime out of this series, dont know the schedule though, because I just scrolled them out by mistake -_- Anyone who have more detailed information, please share it to me.

Dex-chan lover
Cute short hair with a cute lace, cute baggy sweater, cute short jeans, and that cute personality....
She's the embodiment of cuteness

@Nunally if I'm not mistaken, the first episode airs this Thursday

Users who are viewing this thread