Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House

Back on the love triangle stuff I see... and Kiyo continues to take a back burner... 😒

I’ll keep going for Kiyo, mangaka, it’s just disappointing to see. Seriously, I get Kiyo is a simple girl, but you’d think she’d have more reaction to some things, or maybe some inclination to her future beyond “I want to stay with Suu-chan”.

Or at least let’s go back to the slice of life about the caterer specifically and more on her specific thought process.

Dex-chan lover
@lmaook2

It sorta does, but don't expect it to be even remotely the central point. It's slice of life through and though.

There is something really pitiful about dropping out of school to move cross-country to follow your dreams of being a performer, and then getting told you have no chance, only to then willingly stay on at a dorm as an unpaid chef of some sort. The rosy tone and slice of life trappings really hide how pathetic it all is.

Dex-chan lover
Okay i dont read this. I only know about this series cause my mom read it.
To tell me, What is this love triangle? (Like who likes who.) Cause for all i know Kiyo is an airhead. Kenta is a softboi. And Suu. I have no idea.

@doomtc I agree. From what I have gathered, she is probably "paying back" her debt from the years of training that the manor gave her. (Most geiko pay it back through their geiko work). The other thing is that since she's from a very rural town and it is implied that she isn't very good at studying, it's possible that she would have ended up doing this kind of work even if she did graduate high school. It's just that she's doing it in Kyoto rather than Aomori. This doesn't make it much better, but that certainly is what I tell myself while I read this.

Dex-chan lover
@calmbreez

RIght now is quite in barebones, but seems things are starting to get on track in that regard. Still, expect to be a really slow developement, so if you want something centered around romance you should try elsewhere.

If you like cozy not overly moe slice of life geisha edition, by any means, give it a try. It's good.

Ughhhhh I love this manga but at the same time I'm so tired of Kenta. His character is so flat. Just let Kiyo and Sumire live their life in peace without the senseless hetero trope where the boy does the bare minimum and the girl who is literally the whole package ends up liking him for little to no reason. Cannot understand why Sumire even cares. He's expressionless and plays baseball. Showed basic human kindness once or twice. Woop-dee-doo. Do not care. Meanwhile Kiyo and Suu are already living like a married couple, other characters have even admitted that they act like a couple in love, and the manga revolves around their relationship, but of course they're not going to be canon because that would be gay and we can't have that. BT So let's give the romance to the boring guy who doesn't do shit. Ugh.

Also, is Kiyo ever gonna be the main character again??

Like I said, I love this manga but I just want this Kenta love triangle to be over.

@doomtc @Submarina Kiyo’s dream was never explicitly stated to be a maiko, that was Suu’s dream, Kiyo just kind of followed. At no point in the manga does Kiyo ever actually seemed upset or remorseful over not being a maiko. Like, it’s still kind of sad, don’t get me wrong, but Kiyo’s 16 and earnestly seems happier as a caterer, so I think she’s allowed to do what she pleases and if she earnestly wants to keep doing that forever, by all means.

So... I get that Kenta
had to quit baseball due to injury (super sad by the way), but why quit high school? Why move to Kyoto? Why become a chef?

This kind of sounds like what Kiyo did, but somehow more strange because
Kenta has shown no interest in cooking before.
Like, with Kiyo, we at least knew she very much enjoyed cooking and housework and taking care of others.
What’s Kenta’s excuse?

Also, mangaka, I would kill for some actual focus on Kiyo again, even if it’s just her being sad that her eggs got cracked again or something.

Dex-chan lover
Dude how bad is the love triangle, i wanted to read this but all i see is people complaining about how there's a canon hetero ship and how it sucks why the fmc cant date another girl, can someone tell me from a normal pov if this is worth the time for reading?

@revcopper that wasn’t the manor. Suu-chan went to her sister Geiko/Geisha’s apartment to look after her cat while she was on holiday, and they don’t live in manors, and are not adherent to the same rules as Maiko, so they can invite whatever men they want over and/or give them keys to their residence.

@lonelypotatoonabench TBH it’s not that bad (definitely seen worse love triangles), it’s more just annoying then anything because it very suddenly gets shoe horned in chapter 94. No big spoilers, but put this in spoilers just in case,
it’s established pretty early on that Kenta has always been a bit weird regarding Kiyo (chapter 20 or so, his second or third appearance). In comparison, despite having numerous interactions with him at that point, Suu’s crush on Kenta is not so much as even implied at until nearly 100 chapters in, when it is very suddenly shoehorned in, and not even as a recent development, but as something that has apparently been going on since they were small children.

And then it becomes a major focus in the recent chapters, taking away from pretty much everything else, especially Kiyo, who feels more like a sudden obstacle/stage prop in the relationship dynamic.

Like; I would still 100% recommend this manga, it’s cute and sweet and adorable and mostly feel good, but my god, the sudden forced love triangle and focus on it is annoying as fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread