Koibito wa Oni no Hime - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
Either the tl became way worse, or the mangaka is having way too many typos in the onis bubbles

Dex-chan lover
@feha you know that the TL is trying to imitate a dialect/style of vocabulary right? It's not a typo

Dex-chan lover
@feha

don't blame the translator for your lacking dictionary

Or in this case, their weird dialect.

Dex-chan lover
@Pandawanka yes, thought that was pretty obvious :D

@Abedeus
By that logic, there would be no reason to report translations tagged with the wrong language.
That said, even by "archaic english" standards, I am fairly sure there were plenty of errors. Though as you said, I am clearly lacking vocabulary for that language, so I might just be incorrect when I also feel like the grammar is wonky, too.

Then there are words I couldn't even look up, like orspringly, which the 'best' result (airquotes, as I wouldn't consider it good considering it was from some entirely different language than english) was something called 'anglesaxish', which is a derivate from some language called 'anglish' (which I suppose makes the analogy of incorrectly tagged language even more apt :p). Though with some imagination you could pretend its a conjugation of "orspring", a word from said 'anglish' that translates to 'origin', making it 'originally'.
Following that, 'forestop' is even worse, with no proper results at all (though one can (wildly) guess it would simply mean "prevent" in this case).
Then agive would probably be from Anglish too, making it translate to "offer". But then suddenly the whole exchange makes absolutely no sense ("We were originally on the side of preventing her from coming here alone. Our offer this time is to bring our princess home" context suggests it should have been "our task").
Wardly is another word similar to forestop (doenst seem to be anglish), where I only find an urban dictionary entry about it where its something about gender. One could assume its meant to be ward, but that would make absolutely no sense as the word "spell" follows ("a ward spell" is like saying "a spell for warding off bad stuff spell" or "a doghouse house")
The list goes on, but you can probably see a pattern by now

All that stuff is however nothing but a huge aside, as I also find it rather annoying when translators decide to use proper archaic english instead (or ye-olde-english. Though that is at least preferable, being a more modern invention and all). This is purely my opinion, but I feel like a translation misses the point when it translates half the dialog into a language I read about as poorly (or should I say about as well, at this point?) as if the original language had simply been converted to glyphs I can read (in this case "japanese written in romanji with proper whitespaces").

Dex-chan lover
@feha

what the fuck are you even talking about

Have you even considered that maybe the original was also spoken in a way that made it hard to understand to regular Japanese people, or that they were using archaic words not used in common Japanese conversations?

Or are you going to also argue that writing "Offer thine head" or "I bid thee farewell" is incorrect, even if the person speaking uses old styled English?

Dex-chan lover
@Abedeus I am talking about how there is a difference with giving some speech an archaic flair, vs making it hard to read (or worse, unintelligible) by writing in an entirely different dialect or (as in this case) language.
(or do you mean the part where I give a few examples of words in this chapter I couldn't look up? Cause in that portion I am talking about words in this chapter I couldn't look up, by providing a few examples)

Your examples work well to clarify the difference. A short phrase (like those) which is evident to still be understood can be used well to give said archaic flair. While something like this chapter leaves me slowly deciphering using contextual clues, and sometimes downright ignoring a sentence I couldn't parse or felt wasn't worth the effort. So no, I wouldn't argue that.

Dex-chan lover
I mean, I wouldn't think so hard about it @feha

Japanese speakers also have a thing where they like to conjugate words together to make something completely new which doesn't fit any preexisting meaning "like Yahallo" made famous in Yahari Ore no Seishun as well, so my very loose way of looking at it is that she's speaking some weird amalgamation of orcish and olde english which the translators tried to make understandable yet conveying that feeling of foreign-ness they were going for in the original Japanese context.

Aggregator gang
A tengu huh, not too familiar with japanese folklore but this seems interesting.

Thanks for the chapter translators~

Group Leader
This is some April fool's shit right?
You did a bogan ass translation as a joke, right?

Group Leader
Thanks for your translation,
though i didn't know some of the words

Dex-chan lover
What's with the Oni's translation? Is it supposed to be like archaic english or something?
I'm having trouble understanding whatever the Oni are saying.

Fed-Kun's army
@AncientWatcher
oVQ6X8F.gif

Dex-chan lover
A Tengu? Nice.
Thanks for the translation and the introduction to new (old) words. And people say manga teaches you nothing.

Double-page supporter
Some unaware commenters are criticizing feha, but feha was right. The words being used are from an invented language called Anglish. The aims of the Anglish proponents seem to be to make (as in create) a version of English free from borrowed words (borrowed from non-English/non-Germanic origins). To this end, they even invent words, such as orspringly, because it's supposed to be derived from the German word ursprünglich as a replacement for the French/Latin-derived word, originally.

Anglish is not Old English, like from Beowulf. No, instead, the translator is using bullshit, made-up words from an invented language with a small but fervent, delusional, and vocal community. There may also be some element of racism or white nationalism involved. This potentially makes Anglish, and its supporters, far more sinister than other invented languages, like Esperanto.

https://anglish.fandom.com/wiki/English_Wordbook/O

I'll say it again, because it needs to be said. Orspringly is not a real English word, it's an invented word based upon the German word ursprünglich. Same with the other made-up bullshit at the bottom of the last page.

@feha @Pandawanka @Abedeus

Y'all should have done your research before criticizing feha.

The translator is the one in the wrong here for using make-believe words.

Users who are viewing this thread