Koko wa Ore ni Makasete Saki ni Ike to Itte kara 10-nen ga Tattara Densetsu ni Natte Ita. - Vol. 2 Ch. 5.4

Dex-chan lover
Has Japan completely forgotten that vampires are NOT supposed to be able to come out in the sunlight?
Well, okay, fantasy series vampires. They're ALWAYS daywalkers somehow.
I know there are a few anime / manga series specifically about vampires where being able to go out in daylight is a bit more special (e.g. Shiki, Tsukuyomi Moon Phase), but every single fantasy vampire monster has just pratted about in direct sunlight like it is nothing.

@The5thSeraph theres so many diff kinds of vampires and its not a japan thing to have daywalkers, thinking vampire = night only is like 20-30y ago

Dex-chan lover
@Ghekor
Not all that many. I think White Wolf covered most of the variations in VtM, and all of those were fatally weak to sunlight.
Daywalkers are not common outside Japan, or at least outside Asia as I'd expect China and Korea to do the same things Japan does. But still, vampires being damaged by sunlight is almost as much a core part of their being as drinking blood. To find a vampire that misses one or other of those two factors in the west is ridiculous rare, and usually only reserved for dhampirs and the like. Yet for Japanese fiction, being impervious to sunlight seems to not only be common but actually MORE common than being harmed by it. Heck, some Japanese vampires don't even have to drink blood either, so there is literally nothing vampiric about them besides the poorly applied name.

You might be fine with Japanese writers taking the Humpty Dumpty naming convention and running wild with it, but it isn't achieving anything besides confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread