Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu. - Vol. 17 Ch. 227 - Of Course

Fed-Kun's army
Wow, Komi just keeps on talking like she's getting paid by the word.
And the two of them exchanging notes on Tadano was so cute.
Apart from that, Tadano as a girl looked mighty fine again. :)

@oki - nice job. :)

Fed-Kun's army
Manbagi talking badly about Tadano (not just downplaying him but saying he isn't special at all, even in a tsundere way, even if she lowered her guard later) convinced me she would not be a good fit for him. There is a point when self-preservation hurts others in the process, and she crossed it. Had Tadano heard that part, that would've triggered a misunderstanding arc.

Dex-chan lover
Fuckkkk i feel so bad about Manbagi but watching Komi finally straight up admit her feelings without the chibbi drawings AND while talking ? It was a chapter bad for the heart i tell you the feels were all over the place.

And while all this is going down Tadanos ass is in real danger with Katai probably going from "but hes a man" to "ah fuck it just look how good he looks in that get up".

Double-page supporter
I feel like this is the first time Komi-san has ever held such a long conversation in her life xD I'm glad the story is finally moving along.

@Tactless I don't think she was talking bad about him. It's actually a good thing that she can see that he isn't perfect; that means she really likes him and sees him for who he is, and not what she thinks he is (plus it's a running gag in the manga that he is average). So despite him not being 'cool' in the general sense, both Komi and Manbagi can see that he's cool in a different way. Having said that, I think Manbagi wouldn't be a good match for him for different reasons.

Dex-chan lover
Tadano is a actual god tier gentleman...

He charmed two girls and 1 buff guy with little smooth day to day actions...

I like how we get to see all the love interests in this chapter (Komi san, ManBagi, and of course best girl Katai)

at this time, I can barely say... Katai best girl!

mate, I just don't wanna talk about Komi and Mandagi -,-

"He's like the polar opposite of cool!"

Ch. 264:
"Tadano, you we're so cool today.."

Ironic.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Dex-chan lover
So basically they're saying they love him mostly because he is kind. Does Japan have kindness deficit or something? It's like in 90% of traditional rom\romcom manga characters call "kindness" as the 1st reason for their feelings. Or this is just another manga trope with a message: "you should be kind"? Meanwhile IRL kindness would be the last reason for two highschoolers to fall in love with each other.

@CookieMonster I mean everyone is like kind in different ways, I can say Tadano's case is pretty unique. While is it true that in real life, kindness is one of the last thing to fall in love in highschool, it's different if the two characters are fit with each other.

In Tadano's case, let's say that he reads people well and help people without restraint. Coincidentally, Komi-san has communication disorder and her demeanor makes her unapproachable. Of course, knowing Tadano can read people well, he managed to not only truly understand Komi-san's case but to break down her barriers too as well.

It's not really the kindness truly what made the girls fall in love with him. Is it how they were like "puzzle pieces" which both of them perfectly fits each other. Someone who has troubles at communicating with someone who has insane understanding in body language and also willing to help with other people is a perfect combination. It's chemistry my friend.

Dex-chan lover
@Ultra31
Well, I didn't talk exclusively about this manga. It's just when I read your average rom\romcom, they really often say about kindness as the reason for love, and further explanations remind these we read in this chapter. Meanwhile I've almost never seen such reasoning in western media or IRL. These character traits are usually come just as bonus. Well, even in Japanese movies and serious literature they don't use "kindness-to-love" trope, though I didn't watch\read much of them, so can't really be sure. But it seems like only manga\anime\LN use this cliche for some reason. So I guess it's some kind of forced message to youth.

Part of this cliche is this awful trope when the plain MC just says few absolute banal and boring, but kind words and beautiful girl\boy falls in love with him\her. Btw something like this happened with Manbagi. I understand why it could work with Komi, there is indeed chemistry between them, but Rumiko... just no. It's not like Tadano played any significant role in her makeup disaster or something. After-makeup version of her while being pretty and popular girl doesn't have any reasons to fall in love with him, just bunch of tropes. I understand it's just a gag comedy manga and there is nothing realistic about it, but such cliche are really a big problem of rom\romcoms in general. Funny thing that Tadano IRL would be the best candidate for friendzone rather than boyfriend.

Users who are viewing this thread