Kono Kaisha ni Suki na Hito ga Imasu - Vol. 2 Ch. 11 - A Reason to Like Something

Group Leader
@comeonnow0 I can attest that you are definitely wrong if you think there isn't a single human being who doesn't like sweets. Assuredly rare, but they do exist. And like sleepyfoxscanlations says, some people are only good with a certain amount of sugar in their desserts. For example, more oft than not I will scrape off the icing on top of a piece of cake as that level of sweetness is just too much. Since the body turns carbs into sugars, it's not actually necessary to eat sweet things.

@sleepyfoxscanlations Thank you for using sankyou instead of some non-Japanese word.

Dex-chan lover
EagerSameAltiplanochinchillamouse-max-1mb.gif

>tfw no cute OL gf

I’ve been following your scans since the middle of Saeki but only just now got around to making a mangadex account- thank you so much for the work you do! Makes me want to purchase official releases should they ever actually get localized

Dex-chan lover
@FredFriendly I wasn't trying to suggest that there is no such thing as a human who doesn't like sweets. However, my issue is how "normal" of a question it seems in manga/anime as well as how "normal" of an answer it seems to say that you don't like sweets when asked that in a manga or anime. That's why I compared it to water. I'm sure there are people who don't like the taste of water or drinking water. Honestly, they may go the majority of their life drinking milk, tea, coffee, soda, or something else. It's maybe not the best comparison, but it kind of shows my point.

And ah, yes, a non-Japanese word, unlike sankyou. Honestly a catch-22. Either it's perceived as a completely normal thing to say in Japan, in which case my point prevails above. Otherwise, it's not a Japanese word, and your point is wrong. Heads I win, tails you lose.

Sorry, I'm not trying to come off as super antagonistic here.

@comeonnow0
maybe it's just me, and sure, it depends on the tranlsators (not specifically about @sleepyfoxscanlations, I'm talking in general) and how many liberties they take, but tbh if I read "sankyou" I understand how it was written in the raw. It's not "ありがとう(ございます)" (in which case I personally prefere it to be translated as "Thanks/Thank you") nor "Thanks/Thank you" written in english (in this cases, I like it to be translated in a non-english language), but rater "サンキュー", and to me it's an indication of the "tone" the character uses.

Dex-chan lover
@Ulgan That illustrates a difference of opinion in what translators should strive for. Is a translator supposed to try to make it so that the reader knows how it was written in the untranslated work/raws? If that's the case, then we can take it to the logical extreme and just tell people to look at the raws with no translations. Or is the translator supposed to convey the information and feelings that would be felt by a native reader looking at the raws?

Here, you even point out the "tone" the character uses as being an important thing to convey. That directly contradicts your preference. At this current time, on this current website, would an average Mangadex reader know that a character saying "sankyou" had a particular tone of informality and closeness? If you can honestly answer yes to that question, then fine, you're right. If you honestly think that an average English reader on Mangadex would see "sankyou" and understand the subtle differences between that and, for example, "danke" or "arigatou" or "thanks" or "thank you", then fine, you are right. Do you honestly think that is the case?

I, personally, don't. And my evidence is in the fact that other people even pointed it out. Again, I'm repeating myself, but having it as "sankyou" makes it noteworthy, makes it noticeable. I say that it does the complete opposite of the intended tone. I say that if you do care about tone, then this is not the route to take. Again, both you as well as the translator specifically cite tone as being something important. Writing "sankyou" does not accomplish the goal of conveying that tone. My position is that this action is self-defeating.

Again, not a major issue. It clearly isn't a major hurdle here. I'm just trying to show that your positions contradict what you actually want.

Dex-chan lover
@comeonnow0

And I honestly don't understand what I've really seen only in Japanese works, that some people just don't like sweet things at all. Not necessarily here, but in other works, a character might get asked whether they like sweets and then respond by saying that they don't. Oh, do you like water? It's very nearly as basic as that. Sweetness is a basic taste, and it's almost universally sought after by humans for the energy content. It always looks awkward as hell to see something like that said in a manga or anime.
I mean, there are literally studies out there showcasing the different tolerances for sweetness cravings amongst people, with some reasoning pointing to psychological reasons (why they don't prefer sweetness) to others showcasing genetic ones, but while yes, it is indeed more common to prefer sweet foods, it is not uncommon for people to not have an interest in sweet foods.

Plus, diet plays a big role in one's sugar cravings. And since Japan's diet is very rich in fibre and somewhat in fats, it's not really all too surprising if it's more common than not that there are those that just don't outright prefer the desire for sugary sweets. So I don't think it's really abnormal for those kinds of questions to be asked/answered lol

Dex-chan lover
@Short_Circut I clarified what I meant in another post. In short, it's about how common and not unusual the question is in anime/manga as well as how common and not unusual it is to answer with a statement of not liking sweets in anime and manga. Even with a typical Japanese diet/meal situation in general, I wouldn't expect the question to be so prevalent as portrayed in anime/manga.

I compared it to asking if a person likes water or not. Different cultures have different preferences for drinks. Coffee, tea, soda, fruit juices, etc. At one point in history, even beer was the common beverage of some cultures because it provided safe liquid since the alcohol kills pathogens (not that people knew this at the time). However, you wouldn't expect someone to ask something like "do you like water?". It's not a question that a person would expect.

Maybe it actually is a common question in Japan. I don't know. However, I would consider asking if you like sweets on basically the same level as asking if you like water.

Users who are viewing this thread