Kono Kaisha ni Suki na Hito ga Imasu - Vol. 2 Ch. 11 - A Reason to Like Something

Group Leader
Alright, finally managed to make it obvious this was a joint.

@Barjosvio Thanks for leaving a comment, and yeah please do support any official releases!

@larboy Most, if not all, of the perceived tension was on my end, embarrassingly (*ノωノ).

@comeonnow0 Part of it is that I just find it odd to translate so many words into the same one— although I do it quite frequently. I mean look at how many times I used the word "more" this chapter, even though they used two or three different words in Japanese. I just couldn't come up with good alternatives that are frequently used at the time.

I think most of why I ended up going with sankyu though, is that if you were watching an anime or something, you would hear a character say sankyu(u) (which still tickles me after all these years of consuming Japanese media— there's something about the way that Japanese speak English that's just fun to hear for me). You kind of get the best of both worlds that way, which isn't possible here. But when I put sankyu, which I do think is intelligible to the average reader, or will be in short order, I feel it kind of brings that flavor you get watching subbed anime into the manga world. And I'm not necessarily going for inspiring the same feelings that a native reader would have reading the original. Most of our cultural lenses are rather different from Japanese and make us see it quite differently anyway. For most of us (assuming no Japanese (culturally) read this for some reason), we're exploring a culture that's foreign to ours, and I like that to be part of the experience of reading. You may notice that I leave honorifics much of the time, at least the common ones, and also certain Japanese words.

Well, keep in mind that I've never really consciously thought about it that much, but if I had to express my feelings on the matter, that's how I'd do so. Not sure how well I explained it though; I apologize for my likely inadequacy. And of course that's merely my own opinion, but if we all had the same opinions, the world would be a dull place. I, for one, am glad it isn't so dull (most of the time, 2020 is a bit too exciting though). Edit: has someone said this phrase to me on MangaDex? I'm starting to feel like maybe they have.

Side note about water: though I don't ask people whether they like water in general, I do sometimes ask if they like sparkling or flat. I absolutely hate sparkling myself without additional flavors. No point there, just felt related.

@waldo220 Hehe, I'm pretty attached to them myself at this point. Thanks for reading as always!

@comeonnow0
First of all, I'm not trying to make you change your mind about this, nor that I think I could (just wanted to clarify that, since often these kind of conversations looks like that and I don't like it).
I don't think understanding how something it's written in the raw is so important that you'd want to look at them directly (unless you actually can read japanese, if you can of course it's better to do it and you would probably be doing it without having to wait for a translation), it's just that given the peculiarity of the japanese writing system to me it can add a nuance, and I like that. To a japanese reader "サンキュー" feels completely normal but he also realizes that the character isn't really saying "Thanks" in english (or it would have been written as such), nor in formal(ish) japanese, it's kind of a mix, and you lose that by translating it with a "non english Thank you", so I don't really think there's a right answer (but then again, english is not my first language and I'm not all that much proficient in it to know if there is). On another note, I may not be the average reader but after 20 years reading manga and watching anime, reading "Sankyuu" in a translations feels completely normal to me, it doesn't stand out at all.
As for the average reader, I don't know the average level here on mangadex, what I do know from experience is that the average reader doesn't stay average for too long, so who knows after a first bad impression they could change their mind about liking it, or even if they don't they still understand what it means/understand why it was written like that, and if I was in that position (and I mean, in 20 years it happened quite some times) that'd still be more than good enough of a free translation to me.

Group Leader
[@comeonnow0
Sorry, I'm not trying to come off as super antagonistic here.

If you're really not trying, then it must come naturally.

Maybe it actually is a common question in Japan. I don't know.

Then maybe you shouldn't talk like you're an expert on the subject. Perhaps you should keep in mind this quote by Denis Thatcher, husband to Great Britain's late Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher:

"Better keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt."

Group Leader
@iRawrzKai Haha, I actually scrambled to pick up my phone and look for volume 5. I've only read a couple chapters of volume 4 so far, I'm trying to parcel it out in smaller doses ;3.

Dex-chan lover
@FredFriendly So instead of writing anything of substance to either support your own point or disprove my point, you write this. Class act on your part.

Maybe I shouldn't talk like an expert on the subject? Yes, the person who EXPLICITLY says that they don't know is talking like an expert. Oh no, comeonnow0 said NOTHING based in logic and reason. Oh no, comeonnow0 asked an explicit question. That's totally acting like an expert.

Honestly, you should look at what you wrote to see how much of a hypocrite you are.

Fed-Kun's army
SO GLAD everything went well with the joint, returned to mangadex not too long ago and was genuinely worried about you, since there was no activity... then I got worried with the last page =.='

What a chaotic year, no? Hopefully you're doing fine and as always, thanks for your work on the chapter!

The same goes for ace scans, too!

Thank you for the release. I'm glad everything worked out and hope you and Ace Scans would have more collaborations. 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread