Kouchuugun Shikan Boukensha ni Naru - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - Gotania

@theldras The main reason why we don't have many examples of leather armor from ages past because they don't preserve well. But you will certainly see plenty of historically accurate reproductions of them in museums and (yes,) movies. Just a quick check at wikipedia should do the trick for 3rd party verification.

Dex-chan lover
medieval armor in reality isn't a bunch of heavy metals that have only a few joints of movement, it's actually quite flexible with many folds- though it is heavy, it isn't just an assembly of large tubes.

I wonder where the concept of restrictive armor originated, else we'd have battles with no losses in history because one can't properly thrust a pike or a lance.

Dex-chan lover
Confusing perspective eye
52978577975_0b58e25d1d_o_d.png

Dex-chan lover
The telepathy isn't the only inconsistent or nonsensical storybeat. Most recently, this wagon journey was supposed to be a 20-day trip by horse, so even longer by wagon, and even longer than that when having a train of restrained bandits walking behind you. Yet the journey is instantaneous and there is no sign of a time skip as the merchant still knows fuck all about them. Admittedly there is 20 days before the encounter, but still, wagons are significantly slower than unburdened horses. Another thing they've forgotten is that nanom can and will talk to him. It's like they didn't know how to write him alone so they gave him an ai companion til he met Ria and then decided it was unnecessary. Also ria makes no fucking sense. She has had to teach him very basic things of the setting, things that even a commoner would know like magic existing, you have to learn it from spellbooks, and that monsters have magic stones in them. Yet she still thinks he's some incredibly skilled noble rather than an amnesiac or madman.

I enjoy the series with my brain turned down. It's really not a narrative masterpiece.

Dex-chan lover
oh how i wish all these mangas, novels and so on would just stop it with this nonsense about how metal armor restricts movements... late medieval era plate armor could even move in ways the human body could never even hope to do without breaking bones and twisting limbs out of their socket, seriously, if you can do it without the armor then you can do it with the armor just as easy.
i also wish they would stop with all this leather armor this and leather armor that, leather armor is practically nonexistent thru out history.
Leather armour is absolutely not nonexistent in history. While outside of early history it was rarely used alone, it is used in tandem with metals for armour in many cultures throughout the medieval and renaissance periods. Leather underlayers, straps, and supports are key to the flexibility, cushioning, and insulation of most later metal armour sets.

Dex-chan lover
@WildGrizzlyBear
Both ugly, and wildly impractical, the worst of both worlds. When I read the webnovel, I had to force myself to ignore the illustrations and imagine a suit of armor that made sense.
You really cannot expect good armor from japanese fantasy.

Even icons like Guts have some questionable armor design. Cause in the end, is a design, artist dont think of them as practical stuff.

Dex-chan lover
Leather armour is absolutely not nonexistent in history. While outside of early history it was rarely used alone, it is used in tandem with metals for armour in many cultures throughout the medieval and renaissance periods. Leather underlayers, straps, and supports are key to the flexibility, cushioning, and insulation of most later metal armour sets.
Bringandines tho?

Basically the best you could use if you dont want to carry a heavy suit of armor.

Dex-chan lover
@SGR
I think they're just whispering to each other and the artist failed to use the correct visual indicators to notify the readers of it, making it seem like they're using telepathy with the thought bubbles. I may be wrong, but that's the only plausible idea I could come up with.
I'd agree if it weren't for the AI comment on page 15. That's not the sort of thing he would whisper out loud, and she wouldn't be confused by the term if it was just a visualisation of their non-verbal communication. That interaction only makes sense if she telepathically overheard his thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread