Koujo Denka no Kateikyoushi - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
Oh my fucking god, who translated this? ....
@Kiriyume -- listen here -- the sheer respect I have for you people, for NOT translating "Lightning" as "Thunder element" is immense. You can not even begin to imagine how personally butthurt I am about the propagation of Japanese stupidity upon the English language, with their synonymous usage of "Thunder" as "Lightning" and vice versa.
I hate it so much, and it appears all over the place. Shit started from JRPG games with "Thunder Resistance" or "Thunder magic", and crawled its way up to translated manga.
Some of them are especially confounding, because the TNs clearly know these two words are different, but completely fuck it up by thinking that Thunder and Lightning are synonymous like it is in Jap.

P.S: Oop, but you fucked it up with "The Divine Thunder". I was too naive.
P.P.S: Just so I don't sound too much of an asshole, cheers for the translation. I still hate thunder tho.

Fed-Kun's army
That's some hardcore case of:
6c3.jpg

@Solipsist so this is a theory but, maybe "the divine thunder" is a combination of wind magic and lightning magic. because maybe they used lightning magic to stimulate the air to make thunder and the lightning bolt is just a side effect. but the longer time passes the more distorted the knowledge became until they view "the divine thunder" as Lightning

@Solipsist Hi, sorry I know you’re talking about something else but I just wanted to bring attention to the word “Jap” - I think it’s considered a slur so I don’t really recommend using it. There’s other ways to shorten it!

Dex-chan lover
@lemon_berry i think that only depends on intent, like the word ''boy''

i was curious about being a slur, coz on my college we called it ''Jap'' coz that was the subject code, and i found this on a reddit thread:

''heres a bit from a conversation about
I'm Japanese-American (Nisei), having had grown in both countries for a good amount of time, here's my 2 cents.
I've grown to find "Jap" to be analogous to "Jew."
Let me explain in simple terms, "Jew" is one of the few words that can either take a descriptive meaning (Oh yeah, I'm a Jew) or an offensive meaning (You fucking Jew!).
Same as "Jap," it can be an abbreviation with a descriptive meaning (Yeah, I'm a Jap) or an offensive word (That fucking Jap!).
I think both terms are really similar, especially due to the rise in hateful intent in use of those words during WWII - if I am not mistaken.''

heres the whole thread if u want to read more about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/1qewa1/how_would_you_explain_to_someone_that_jap_is_a/

Dex-chan lover
@lemon_berry
Context, mate. I wasn't saying "I hate Japs", I said "I hate the Jap language".
Plz no P.C nonsense.

@PeanutDC2
That's *way* too much thought being put into what is much more commonly a language-gap. Japan literally has "thunder gods / demons". All I ever want is a lil' bit of localization.

Aggregator gang
@Solipsist It's me. And yes, it's Thunder and not Lightning. We can talk in length if that's what you wished for, but I'll cut it short.

unknown.png
天雷
Reads Tenrai
This explicitly means Thunder. A little bit of dissect, 天 (ten, ama) means heavens/sky/imperial and 雷 (kaminari/ikazuchi/rai) means thunder/lightning bolt. Together, they represent the idea of Divine Punishment by the god of Thunders, Raijin, in the past days. Nowadays, the term 天雷 is rarely used in day-to-day conversation, iirc.

Is there a difference between Thunder and Lightning in Japs? Yes. In general, people tend to use 雷 (kaminari) to denote thunder while 稲妻 (inazuma) to refer to lightning.

We can delve deeper to Japanese mythologies about thunders and its God, Raijin, if you'd like to. I'm not a Japanese literature student for nothing.

@Hollow7F Thanks for the info! I read through it but there's a lot of mixed comments about it so I'm just gonna stick w/ my original thought since I grew up in the US 😅

@Solipsist I just wanted to point out cause it seemed like you put a lot of importance on labels LMAO also I didn't mean to imply that you hate Japanese, I was just saying the use of the word might have been inappropriate since a slur will be a slur with or without context :'D

Dex-chan lover
@Mabbo
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm sure the source material was Thunder, and none of you made any mistakes about that. I was bitching about the "missing localization" that is simply ubiquitous when it comes to Japanese material, especially in JRPGs (what the fuck is "Thunder Magic" or "Thunder Resistance"? That's not how that works in English) .
That being said, I am willing to drop my argument in this particular context, because it does seem like the words used in the original text reference something, rather than be "normal spoken language", which makes it perfectly okay to just ignore and freely localize (i.e: if Japs have "thunder gods", localizing them to "Lightning Gods" isn't necessarily the right move here, I can agree with that.)
The only problem I have with that, is that it is 100% lost in translation. Look at this picture, for an instance.

ABnsDFE.png

Thunder Magic? I'm sure that too has a reference to Japanese Myth, but what the hell is Thunder Magic in English? Why are there no footnotes to give it more context? Because it looks stupid as all hell otherwise.

....Furthermore
雷 (kaminari/ikazuchi/rai) means thunder/lightning bolt.
This is pretty much why "Thunder" is a pet-peeve of mine at this point. Even if T and L are totally synonymous in Japanese, making out sentences which say "Thunder" instead of "Lightning" make no sense to me. It's synonymous in Japanese, not in English.

P.S:
@lemon_berry
Ye grew in the US? Yeah, that makes sense why you're hyper-aware about political-correctness...And I was perfectly aware that it can, and was, used as a slur. Gotta read between the lines, mate. I'm not going around the streets going: "WHERE THE DAMN JAPS AT".
You at least had your heart at the right place, I guess?

P.P.S:
@Hollow7F
Haha, man. That reminds me of that one skit from Louis CK.

How lewd can one loli get, begging for head pats like that. Next thing you know they'll be doing unproctected hand holding. 😨

Users who are viewing this thread