Kredim

Fed-Kun's army
Greetings and thank you for your hard work on Dark Gathering!

I only recently got into the series and am a fan of how the Graduates are executed and presented. Is it alright if I submit my ideas for smoother and more eloquent names for the 7 employed in this Kyoto campaign?

My trick with these fancy Japanese titles is figuring out where to slice it up before deciphering the writer's intent. Then after piecing up a basic translation, pretty it up or localise it into something that the natives would've found cool. The Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG to TCG approach basically.

1. High Priest of the Evil Sutra - 邪経文大僧正

Nothing else to suggest here. This first one I liked a lot, and set high expectations for the other Graduate-equivalents to follow.

--

2. The Imprisoned Demon Sergeant Who Died For his Country - 殉国禁獄鬼軍曹

Suggestion: Demon Sergeant, the Imprisoned Martyr

"Demon Sergeant" totally needs to be kept for the 鬼軍曹 title, no questions there. While I didn't like how Muse Asia simply truncated it to "the Imprisoned Martyr", it is still an accurate translation for the 殉国禁獄 subtitle.

--

3. Otogiri the Soul Sucking Oiran - 魄啜繚乱弟切花魁

Suggestion: Otogiri Oiran, the Soul-Sucking Bouquet

Reading everything again, since "Otogiri Oiran" is her title when she was alive (typical for courtesans at the time to have flowers as their namesakes) that Yayoi continues to find fitting, I suggest keeping it as-is.

That said, I wrote a bunch of stuff regarding the 弟切 bit, would be a shame to throw it all away. It's a reference to 弟切草 (otogiri-sou / St John's Wort). As far as her theming as a ghost goes, rather than the etymology of the flower, I believe its relevance lies in:

1. Its golden colour (ie same shade as her butterflies)
2. Its poisonous nature in sufficient quantities
3. Its meaning in the Japanese language of flowers: these include "superstition", "animosity" and "grudge/resent/malice". Of these, "Grudge" (恨み) was directly referenced at the start of Ch 28.

For the subtitle, 魄啜 you've also seen in Ch 28, which you've translated as "soul-sucking" and "spirit-drain". You can decide.

For 繚乱, it refers to the concept of "flowers blooming in great profusion". There's also a similar term called 百花繚乱 (hyakka-ryouran), "a gathering of many talented ('flourishing') people". Though gender-neutral, one can liken a courtesan's brothel to that idea. Hence "Bouquet" - it's a gathering of flowers and has connotations with "collection" too, just like her attacking style.

Altogether, "Soul-Sucking Bouquet" depicts an arrangement whose beauty and vitality is maintained by stealing them straight from her victims.

--

4. Child of a Thousand Souls who cut their Necks - 千魂華厳自刃童子

Suggestion: Self-Slitting Maiden, the Thousand-Soul Wreath

This one is actually a heavy influence on why I'm opting for the [Title],[Subtitle] format for a lot of these. This probably isn't a surprise, but Jijin-Douji is darn popular among the Japanese and Chinese readers who've caught up, between her looks, loyalty and sheer usefulness. She's fondly addressed as just 自刃童子

Firstly, "Self-Slitting" for 自刃, that's straightforward. While 童子 can easily translate to "child", it's essentially a moniker for beings with a certain degree of youthfulness. Sure she's young but I want something more fitting than "child". "Youth, youngling, sprite" don't sound right either. Ultimately I got a bit liberal and went for "Maiden"; I don't strictly have to stick to a gender-neutral term. I heavily doubt future titles will include 乙女 or 少女, so shouldn't have to worry about saving "Maiden" for later.

Next the subtitle. "Thousand-Soul" for 千魂 goes without saying. For 華厳, while it may bring to mind 華厳滝 / the Kegon Falls (an infamous suicide hotspot), I don't believe that's what Yayoi is going for here.

The term originated from the Chinese 華嚴 (huayan), meaning "Flower Garland", and is a Buddhist school rooted in the Avatamsaka Sutra. Beyond "garland", it can also mean "wreath" or circular ornaments such as earrings, so long as flowers are linked. There's too much for me to even try and digest, but it would appear that one of the doctrines is "one is many, many is one".

So I thought "Wreath" would be apt. Not only does it embody said doctrine, but there's also the connotation of a funeral wreath, which fits with the Maiden's personal charge of preserving memories of the tragedy that befell her people. As a subtitle, "Thousand-Soul Wreath" then describes the Maiden as "a collective of a thousand" (alluding to her splitting powers) and "commemorating a thousand souls".

--

5. The Rapacious Bleached Head - 斎弄晒レ頭

Suggestion: Sentenced Sinner of Restrained Rampage

This may seem like a drastic change to something unrelated, but hear me out.

While 晒し can mean "bleach (via sunshine)", it also has derivative terms like 晒し者 and 晒し首, both referring to the old practice of exposing a criminal out in the sun to be shamed and humiliated in the public as an example. The latter 晒し首 is noteworthy here, since the public display happens with just the dead criminal's head.

晒レ頭 then hearkens back to this idea, and seems to express Yayoi's disdain towards him to the extent she really wants to humiliate him even further after already reducing him to his head. (Incidentally, 頭 is used instead of the usual 首 is likely because no actual decapitation has been done to him; it's still attached)

That said, "humiliate" could be a mouthful, so "Sentenced Sinner" to maintain conveyance of Yayoi's intent here. "Condemned" or "Punished" may also work, though the latter isn't strong enough I feel.

斎弄 (sairou) here is tough. 弄する (rousuru) means "to ridicule, mock, toy", likely in reference to what the Sinner had been doing to his victims at the Old F Tunnel. 斎 (sai) is a Buddhist term that typically denotes behaving in ways that conform to beliefs and doctrine. So perhaps "Restrained Rampage", which again hearkens back to Yayoi imposing her rule over him; he gets to mess around only when she decrees it.

--

6. Black Asura of the Eclipse - 月蝕尽絶黒阿修羅

Suggestion: Black Asura, the Consuming Eclipse

What you already got is good, just want to refine it some more. The title 黒阿修羅 is straightforward. 月蝕 in the subtitle's first half is straightforward. All that's left is 尽絶 (jinzetsu)

絶 typically alludes to "extermination" or "terminal", while 尽 ("exhaust", "use up" to the limit) in this instance could be alluding to 尽日, the last day of the month, when placed next to 月蝕. So together 尽絶 would emphasise limit and termination, in a "your time is up" manner, together with the preceding Eclipse. While "Annihilating Eclipse" can convey this meaning, that's a bit too tryhard for my taste.

Tangentially speaking, 尽きる (tsukiru) can also mean "to be consumed", and that clicked for me. There are cultures that liken an eclipse to the moon devouring the sun or vice versa, and "consume" echoes back to Asura's gimmick with the meatballs. So "Consuming Eclipse" (or Devouring?).

--

7. Spirit in a Transitional Period - 過渡期の御霊

Suggestion: Venerated Spirit in Transition

"Spirit" by itself is too empty, needs more accompaniment.

御霊 (mitama) means "honourable spirit", in the sense that the being comes with some degree of reverence due to their deeds when they were alive. Which given the heavy speculation he's Taira no Masakado would also point to Yayoi's esteem towards it.

So "Venerated Spirit", which gets the idea across more clearly than "honourable"

For 過渡期, while I thought "metamorphosis" wouldn't be out of place, better to play it safe and stick with "Transition"

--

These are all my suggestions for them, hope you'll find these useful! I won't bid you to necessarily follow them word for word, can adjust parts here and there since there could still be room for improvement.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
Greetings and thank you for your hard work on Dark Gathering!

I only recently got into the series and am a fan of how the Graduates are executed and presented. Is it alright if I submit my ideas for smoother and more eloquent names for the 7 employed in this Kyoto campaign?

My trick with these fancy Japanese titles is figuring out where to slice it up before deciphering the writer's intent. Then after piecing up a basic translation, pretty it up or localise it into something that the natives would've found cool. The Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG to TCG approach basically.

1. High Priest of the Evil Sutra - 邪経文大僧正

Nothing else to suggest here. This first one I liked a lot, and set high expectations for the other Graduate-equivalents to follow.

--

2. The Imprisoned Demon Sergeant Who Died For his Country - 殉国禁獄鬼軍曹

Suggestion: Demon Sergeant, the Imprisoned Martyr

"Demon Sergeant" totally needs to be kept for the 鬼軍曹 title, no questions there. While I didn't like how Muse Asia simply truncated it to "the Imprisoned Martyr", it is still an accurate translation for the 殉国禁獄 subtitle.

--

3. Otogiri the Soul Sucking Oiran - 魄啜繚乱弟切花魁

Suggestion: Otogiri Oiran, the Soul-Sucking Bouquet

Reading everything again, since "Otogiri Oiran" is her title when she was alive (typical for courtesans at the time to have flowers as their namesakes) that Yayoi continues to find fitting, I suggest keeping it as-is.

That said, I wrote a bunch of stuff regarding the 弟切 bit, would be a shame to throw it all away. It's a reference to 弟切草 (otogiri-sou / St John's Wort). As far as her theming as a ghost goes, rather than the etymology of the flower, I believe its relevance lies in:

1. Its golden colour (ie same shade as her butterflies)
2. Its poisonous nature in sufficient quantities
3. Its meaning in the Japanese language of flowers: these include "superstition", "animosity" and "grudge/resent/malice". Of these, "Grudge" (恨み) was directly referenced at the start of Ch 28.

For the subtitle, 魄啜 you've also seen in Ch 28, which you've translated as "soul-sucking" and "spirit-drain". You can decide.

For 繚乱, it refers to the concept of "flowers blooming in great profusion". There's also a similar term called 百花繚乱 (hyakka-ryouran), "a gathering of many talented ('flourishing') people". Though gender-neutral, one can liken a courtesan's brothel to that idea. Hence "Bouquet" - it's a gathering of flowers and has connotations with "collection" too, just like her attacking style.

Altogether, "Soul-Sucking Bouquet" depicts an arrangement whose beauty and vitality is maintained by stealing them straight from her victims.

--

4. Child of a Thousand Souls who cut their Necks - 千魂華厳自刃童子

Suggestion: Self-Slitting Maiden, the Thousand-Soul Wreath

This one is actually a heavy influence on why I'm opting for the [Title],[Subtitle] format for a lot of these. This probably isn't a surprise, but Jijin-Douji is darn popular among the Japanese and Chinese readers who've caught up, between her looks, loyalty and sheer usefulness. She's fondly addressed as just 自刃童子

Firstly, "Self-Slitting" for 自刃, that's straightforward. While 童子 can easily translate to "child", it's essentially a moniker for beings with a certain degree of youthfulness. Sure she's young but I want something more fitting than "child". "Youth, youngling, sprite" don't sound right either. Ultimately I got a bit liberal and went for "Maiden"; I don't strictly have to stick to a gender-neutral term. I heavily doubt future titles will include 乙女 or 少女, so shouldn't have to worry about saving "Maiden" for later.

Next the subtitle. "Thousand-Soul" for 千魂 goes without saying. For 華厳, while it may bring to mind 華厳滝 / the Kegon Falls (an infamous suicide hotspot), I don't believe that's what Yayoi is going for here.

The term originated from the Chinese 華嚴 (huayan), meaning "Flower Garland", and is a Buddhist school rooted in the Avatamsaka Sutra. Beyond "garland", it can also mean "wreath" or circular ornaments such as earrings, so long as flowers are linked. There's too much for me to even try and digest, but it would appear that one of the doctrines is "one is many, many is one".

So I thought "Wreath" would be apt. Not only does it embody said doctrine, but there's also the connotation of a funeral wreath, which fits with the Maiden's personal charge of preserving memories of the tragedy that befell her people. As a subtitle, "Thousand-Soul Wreath" then describes the Maiden as "a collective of a thousand" (alluding to her splitting powers) and "commemorating a thousand souls".

--

5. The Rapacious Bleached Head - 斎弄晒レ頭

Suggestion: Sentenced Sinner of Restrained Rampage

This may seem like a drastic change to something unrelated, but hear me out.

While 晒し can mean "bleach (via sunshine)", it also has derivative terms like 晒し者 and 晒し首, both referring to the old practice of exposing a criminal out in the sun to be shamed and humiliated in the public as an example. The latter 晒し首 is noteworthy here, since the public display happens with just the dead criminal's head.

晒レ頭 then hearkens back to this idea, and seems to express Yayoi's disdain towards him to the extent she really wants to humiliate him even further after already reducing him to his head. (Incidentally, 頭 is used instead of the usual 首 is likely because no actual decapitation has been done to him; it's still attached)

That said, "humiliate" could be a mouthful, so "Sentenced Sinner" to maintain conveyance of Yayoi's intent here. "Condemned" or "Punished" may also work, though the latter isn't strong enough I feel.

斎弄 (sairou) here is tough. 弄する (rousuru) means "to ridicule, mock, toy", likely in reference to what the Sinner had been doing to his victims at the Old F Tunnel. 斎 (sai) is a Buddhist term that typically denotes behaving in ways that conform to beliefs and doctrine. So perhaps "Restrained Rampage", which again hearkens back to Yayoi imposing her rule over him; he gets to mess around only when she decrees it.

--

6. Black Asura of the Eclipse - 月蝕尽絶黒阿修羅

Suggestion: Black Asura, the Consuming Eclipse

What you already got is good, just want to refine it some more. The title 黒阿修羅 is straightforward. 月蝕 in the subtitle's first half is straightforward. All that's left is 尽絶 (jinzetsu)

絶 typically alludes to "extermination" or "terminal", while 尽 ("exhaust", "use up" to the limit) in this instance could be alluding to 尽日, the last day of the month, when placed next to 月蝕. So together 尽絶 would emphasise limit and termination, in a "your time is up" manner, together with the preceding Eclipse. While "Annihilating Eclipse" can convey this meaning, that's a bit too tryhard for my taste.

Tangentially speaking, 尽きる (tsukiru) can also mean "to be consumed", and that clicked for me. There are cultures that liken an eclipse to the moon devouring the sun or vice versa, and "consume" echoes back to Asura's gimmick with the meatballs. So "Consuming Eclipse" (or Devouring?).

--

7. Spirit in a Transitional Period - 過渡期の御霊

Suggestion: Venerated Spirit in Transition

"Spirit" by itself is too empty, needs more accompaniment.

御霊 (mitama) means "honourable spirit", in the sense that the being comes with some degree of reverence due to their deeds when they were alive. Which given the heavy speculation he's Taira no Masakado would also point to Yayoi's esteem towards it.

So "Venerated Spirit", which gets the idea across more clearly than "honourable"

For 過渡期, while I thought "metamorphosis" wouldn't be out of place, better to play it safe and stick with "Transition"

--

These are all my suggestions for them, hope you'll find these useful! I won't bid you to necessarily follow them word for word, can adjust parts here and there since there could still be room for improvement.

I got no naming sense so i appreciate the feedback, especially for the F and H ghosts

Fed-Kun's army
I got no naming sense so i appreciate the feedback, especially for the F and H ghosts
Glad to be of help! If you do decide to use some of these, make sure to give readers a heads-up so they don't get too confused about the change. Explaining some of the rationale ought to help with the transition.

Also, not sure if I'm overstepping my bounds, but since this Kyoto arc is dealing with plenty of Taoism and Onmyoudo-related folklore, this info might help.

"Vision Food" - 視肉

From Ch 23, these lumps of flesh are in fact mythical creatures of Chinese legend called Feng (封), and have been known by many names, Shirou/Shiniku (視肉) being one of them.

Another of these is in fact Tàisuì (太歲), referencing the same planet that serves as the namesake of the arc boss Taisui Xingjun. Honestly, with how much mythology is being referenced this arc, I'd prioritise recognition/referencing the terms over a complete English translation, making "Feng" the best choice here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feng_(mythology)

---

The Twelve Shikigami

From Ch 23, the 12 Shikigami that surrounded Taisui Xingjun are very likely the 十二天将, Shikigami said to be subordinate to Abe no Seimei. Over next door within Jump SQ, the official Viz translations of Twin Star Exorcists referred to them as The Twelve Guardians, while more literal translations of the term in folklore are "The Twelve Heavenly Commanders". You can choose.

(What makes this REAL annoying is not only do the Japanese interchange between 天将 and 神将, but there's an unrelated Buddhist group of 12 entities that also uses the 十二神将 moniker)

Incidentally, Viz opted to translate the titles of the individual Guardians to mixed results. To explain, whilst translating simple ones like 白虎/"Byakko" as "White Tiger" is alright, you also get stuff like 贵人/"Kijin" as "God of the In-Between", and it's honestly clunky. If they pop up, I say it's better to just keep to the Japanese title.

太裳 - Taijou
白虎 - Byakko
天空 - Tenkuu
青龙 - Seiryu
勾陈 - Kouchin
六合 - Rikugou
朱雀 - Suzaku
螣蛇 - Touda
天一 - Kijin
天后 - Tenkou
太陰 - Taiin/Taion
玄武 - Genbu

https://twin-star-exorcists.fandom.com/wiki/Twelve_Guardians

---

Rikujin Shinka - 六壬神課

Known in Chinese astrology as Da Liu Ren (大六壬), it's one of the Three Rites of Divination. In relation to Taisui Xingjun, looks like a school of astrologian magic to me.

I noticed in Ch 23 your attempt at this was "Royal Sixth Division God". Should it pop up again, either Rikujin Shinka or Da Liu Ren would be ideal for recognition's sake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daliuren

The Facebook post below also has some explanation on this term

---

The Summary to Judgments of Divinations - 占事略決

While there's nothing wrong with using the common English term for the book, I believe just Senji Ryakketsu is much more recognisable, especially when in close proximity to Seimei/Onmyoudo stuff.

No objections to "Apocrypha" for 外典 from me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senji_Ryakketsu

---

"Murder of the Lord" Plan - 『弑逆桔梗』作戦

For this one, mind if I give a suggestion?

Suggestion: Operation Bellflower of Dethronement

To explain my reasoning as though I'm Yayoi in Ch 34:

Correct..."Bellflower", as per Abe no Seimei's pentagram crest... and "Dethronement", when inferiors overthrow their lords and superiors, or a deity in our case.

From these two ideas, Operation Bellflower of Dethronement ...is what I call this plan to complete and utterly slaughter a god.

Admittedly, "dethrone" and "overthrow" in my explanation lacks the lethality intrinsic to 弑逆, but it's a compromise I'll take to get the more important "inferiors defeat superiors" meaning across.

"Dethronement" is also the best single concise word I can pick, and similar choices like "overthrow", "depose" or "vanquish" needs extra words to spell out the meaning.

---

Lastly, perhaps this Wikipedia entry on Taisui Xingjun itself may prove useful. Do note that while the original Chinese myth speaks of them as a collective of 60 deities headed by their leader Yin Jiao, Japan considers them a single entity as in the story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_Jiao_(deity)

This should about cover the most critical folklore bits. I pray these will aid your future endeavours.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Ahoy there, hope you've been well. I was visiting the Dark Gathering board on the Baidu boards and I stumbled upon an interesting post about a correction made in Volume 14. Specifically in Ch 55, on Page 16 panel 7.

Here in the original magazine chapter, the Divine Generals claimed the following:

"We have been bestowed/granted two eyes of Shiniku. Even subtracting the influence from the curse, we are three time as strong as usual..."​

But in Volume 14, this has been changed to:

"We have been bestowed/granted three eyes of Shiniku. Even subtracting the influence from the curse, we are two time as strong as usual..."​

This correction on the numbers has huge implications on the balance of power between Yayoi and Tai Sui's forces, so I felt it was worth relaying to you.
I noticed in your translation you had written "three eyes/three time", so now it just needs to be adjusted to "three eyes/two time".

Fed-Kun's army
Hey there, how's it been? Thanks for your hard work again this month.

If you don't mind, got some parts to bring to your attention.

Ch 56, Page 21, panel 1

The technique that Seimei used was 招来の術, not 将来. While both are pronounced "shourai", the latter is the one that means "future", while the former means "invite/beckon/summon". Seimei's trick that he ripped off of Ashiya Doman is certainly an aggressive form of "inviting" someone to somewhere.

Ch 57, Page 23, panel 4

In Japanese usage, 五体 is an expression for the head, two hands and two feet; or head, neck, chest, hands and feet. The original Chinese usage is for a still different set of five components of the body.

Either way, it's mainly used in expressions about the state of one's body; for instance, 五体満足 ("satisfaction of the five appendages") is used to express how someone is in good, "whole", "complete" physical health and condition.

Inversely, Masakado's memory was about how his body's been severed and divided, and where the once-complete whole could've gone off to. Doesn't necessarily have to be in five parts.

Users who are viewing this thread