Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? - Vol. 7 Ch. 35.2

Group Leader
@Kirime not everyone is this strong though. I'm going to need specific chapter numbers stating that, because I'm pretty sure humans used to be still pretty weak. They relied on magical technology.

@LotusLily

It's Oshiete D-sensei! — Lesson 4.

D「Rather than it being the reincarnators were particularly superior, it is the natives who are inferior.

D「If we imagine things in the distant past immediately following the activation of the System, then there would have been natives who could compete with the reincarnators all over the place I am sure, but now that things have declined, the reincarnators have become stronger only in relative terms. If you recall the status values of the Demon King Ariel who has lived since that distant past, I am sure you can guess just how brutal the world was in the past. Well, she has become like that after many years of diligent training, so obviously such extreme examples were not found all over the place. At most, status values in the thousands were found all over the place.」
M「But even so, there were people with status values in the thousands all over the place huh. That is rather scary in itself. 」

Kumoko is Ede Saine at that point of the story and has only a few thousand points in stats at the time, so ancient humans would be pretty similar in power.

hold up next chapter is on my birthday lol. I expect the happiest of wishes or I will summon the demon lord to use his cursed flame "dark and dark."
yeahh but no cap it actually is that's nice like a lil birthday present

Dex-chan lover
I hope she becomes semi human looking soon, I'm not a huge fan of looking at spiders tbh

This chapter really sells it for me - I think it provides a much more insightful perspective on the series of events that occurred over the past chapters.

The whole massacre really came about due to an unfortunate series of events + misunderstandings - first the burning of the web, then Kumoko appearing at the wrong moment, misjudging their strength + intentions, and things just went downhill from there due to the inability for both sides to communicate with each other.

Had Kumoko been in her nest slightly earlier, she might've noticed and freed the trapped soldier herself with thread manipulation; if the group had left earlier, the soldiers might have not immediately attacked her, and she wouldn't have retaliated, nor realise that humans gave a lot of XP. Without communication, the humans also couldn't tell Kumoko that her thread was so strong they had to use a massive fire spell, nor that people actually wanted to establish friendly(-ish?) relations with her.

The situation's a bit like trying to appease a dragon, where the slightest misstep could cost lives - while I think Kumoko definitely acted ruthlessly (from a human perspective), the tense situation and bad coincidences really didn't help either - and given what she had to go through previously in her 'eat or be eaten' world, her actions definitely make sense to me. Things done in the heat of the moment are generally not representative of one's entire mentality.

Fed-Kun's army
I enjoyed the human story. Though, it gotta suck having the auto fear constantly on. Seems the Knights' fear reaction of flight or fight was to fight first. Misunderstandings all around. Would like to see if the future Kumoko saw will come true.

Aggregator gang
Really refreshing after reading chapters of repetitious monster fights. They got boring after a while.

Setting fire someone's home. Attacking on the spot as soon as caught in sight. Owner of the nest is someone above than S rank spider monster. Those humans are crazy for doing all this stuff.

Both in this and the webnovel, I really liked this encounter. It shows from an outsider's view exactly the kind of monster Kumoko is. Since she constantly fights stronger opponents, it's easy to forget that she's an endgame boss to any adventuring party. Multiple skills active constantly, borderline broken resistances to elements, the thinking power of a supercomputer...yeah no she's scary as fuck even without the intimidation aura and/or fearbringer.

No one's really in the wrong here. Kumoko never meant to drive monsters out of the cave and the only things the humans could do is confront the problem. Burning someone's house is a bad thing to do but in order to "solve" the problem they had to. Attacking it off the bat was stupid but understandable cause of Kumoko's fear thingy.

Users who are viewing this thread