Kuroneko Nyango no Bouken ~ Rare Zokusei o Hikiatetanode, Kimamana Bouken-sha o Mezashimasu ~ - Ch. 9

I'm no TL or even know almost any Japanese, but gotta say .. Good call on the Sky Magic change. Empty Attribute sounds cool, but it's confusing. I mean, outside of translation, magic 'Empty' of any attributes is a fairly complex concept to communicate on it's own. Calling it 'Sky' attribute can make more sense since 'Empty' implies a lack of attribute whereas like in Ch8 you show that MC discovers that it's actually anything but 'Empty'.

Dex-chan lover
I'm no TL or even know almost any Japanese, but gotta say .. Good call on the Sky Magic change. Empty Attribute sounds cool, but it's confusing. I mean, outside of translation, magic 'Empty' of any attributes is a fairly complex concept to communicate on it's own. Calling it 'Sky' attribute can make more sense since 'Empty' implies a lack of attribute whereas like in Ch8 you show that MC discovers that it's actually anything but 'Empty'.
Maybe I'm too used to the concept of null but 'empty' seems appropriate for me. Whereas 'sky magic" sounds something more akin to 'power of the gods', which - on some level - might actually be how his power 'works', but the change does feel out of place, at least in my opinion.

Group Leader
Maybe I'm too used to the concept of null but 'empty' seems appropriate for me. Whereas 'sky magic" sounds something more akin to 'power of the gods', which - on some level - might actually be how his power 'works', but the change does feel out of place, at least in my opinion.
I changed it to "Sky Magic", based on the description of the manga and according to the novel, it should have been called "Sky"/"Void" since the start, but seen as "empty".

Double-page supporter
Regarding page 14 and his use of wind magic, if I recall correctly last chapter they were talking about magic tools. So his comment that he doesn't use wind could be in regards to said magic tools, that he doesn't use wind magic tools since he can use wind magic directly. Just a guess tho.

Group Leader
Regarding page 14 and his use of wind magic, if I recall correctly last chapter they were talking about magic tools. So his comment that he doesn't use wind could be in regards to said magic tools, that he doesn't use wind magic tools since he can use wind magic directly. Just a guess tho.
Yeah, could be. That makes sense.

Dex-chan lover
I agree that sky attribute sounds better, air could work as well but could get confusing with wind.
In many manga the so called "empty" attribute is called NULL attribute (or something similar, void is another one sometimes used) basicly as in the meaning "not an elemental attribute" or "not a defined attribute" (defined attribute as in earth, wind, water, fire, dark, light, healing, holy etc), I believe it's due to english lacking a word with the same definitive meaning.

Dex-chan lover
I agree that sky attribute sounds better, air could work as well but could get confusing with wind.
In many manga the so called "empty" attribute is called NULL attribute (or something similar, void is another one sometimes used) basicly as in the meaning "not an elemental attribute" or "not a defined attribute" (defined attribute as in earth, wind, water, fire, dark, light, healing, holy etc), I believe it's due to english lacking a word with the same definitive meaning.
Well, we do have "attributeless", which...does not exactly roll off the tongue. It was mentioned in another post that there is "void", which, I believe fills that slot well: void magic can be viewed as magic that is void of attribute.

Of course, people have notions about what "void magic" pertains, so it's a mixed bag. Translation is a difficult task.

Dex-chan lover
Is there any place that is selling or even translating the novel that hasn't been abandoned?

Dex-chan lover
I actually disagree, because his magic IS the "empty" or "none" attribute, and in the very last chapter it was demonstrated why it's called that: he can utilize it to produce any element, which other people cannot do, because he has no elemental bias one way or another, and he can form the physical structures for the magic tools out of his magic, and the circuit produced then can produce that element's magic effect. It is also functionally weightless and has no structure unless he actively concentrates, dissolving easily- like a soap bubble (or super lightweight foam), it is empty. There was a whole arc where he spent time and effort training to use it as a shield and it required serious thickness and concentration to withstand any force, and even then it still crumbles fairly easily.

I believe Null or Void magic is a more appropriate name for the magic than calling it sky magic; since sky bring connotations with wind.
I agree that both "null" and "void" are more appropriate than "sky", with my preference leaning towards "null" since "void" carries connotations of the space beyond the sky and gravity magics and the like, while "null" implies that it cancels elements, which is at least closer to his actual abilities. I still think it should remain as "empty", however.

100% this. Old man was referring to the magic tools, not his own personal magic.

@Demoniic Couple things unrelated to the above discussions:

Page 3, see that banner ad space left untranslated on the right? That's a good space to erase and add in a quick Cliff's Notes version of the larger translator's note you added at the end page. Same with upper/lower page margins, if near the noted TL.

Page 4, upper left bubble: "It depends... Fair enough" reads weirdly because it doesn't logically follow after Nyango saying "Count me in". What was the original?

Page 18, the TL of "Buhgi sound made by orcs" isn't really useful on its own; the speech bubble is right beside the orc, after all, and it's right after Nyango used shield in the previous panel, so contextually it's easy to understand that it's a sound made by orcs. A better note would be something like, "Buhgi is a pig-like snort sound that orcs make" if you want to help people that have not heard orcs in anime before. Either way, no need to repeat the TL note three pages later, on page 21.

Lastly, "Zeoll" vs "Zeol", was there a choonpu in the original or not? If there is, I'd go with the former (since it better conveys an elongated "o" sound), and if there isn't, then "Zeol" should be fine.

Group Leader
I actually disagree, because his magic IS the "empty" or "none" attribute, and in the very last chapter it was demonstrated why it's called that: he can utilize it to produce any element, which other people cannot do, because he has no elemental bias one way or another, and he can form the physical structures for the magic tools out of his magic, and the circuit produced then can produce that element's magic effect. It is also functionally weightless and has no structure unless he actively concentrates, dissolving easily- like a soap bubble (or super lightweight foam), it is empty. There was a whole arc where he spent time and effort training to use it as a shield and it required serious thickness and concentration to withstand any force, and even then it still crumbles fairly easily.

I agree that both "null" and "void" are more appropriate than "sky", with my preference leaning towards "null" since "void" carries connotations of the space beyond the sky and gravity magics and the like, while "null" implies that it cancels elements, which is at least closer to his actual abilities. I still think it should remain as "empty", however.

100% this. Old man was referring to the magic tools, not his own personal magic.

@Demoniic Couple things unrelated to the above discussions:

Page 3, see that banner ad space left untranslated on the right? That's a good space to erase and add in a quick Cliff's Notes version of the larger translator's note you added at the end page. Same with upper/lower page margins, if near the noted TL.

Page 4, upper left bubble: "It depends... Fair enough" reads weirdly because it doesn't logically follow after Nyango saying "Count me in". What was the original?

Page 18, the TL of "Buhgi sound made by orcs" isn't really useful on its own; the speech bubble is right beside the orc, after all, and it's right after Nyango used shield in the previous panel, so contextually it's easy to understand that it's a sound made by orcs. A better note would be something like, "Buhgi is a pig-like snort sound that orcs make" if you want to help people that have not heard orcs in anime before. Either way, no need to repeat the TL note three pages later, on page 21.

Lastly, "Zeoll" vs "Zeol", was there a choonpu in the original or not? If there is, I'd go with the former (since it better conveys an elongated "o" sound), and if there isn't, then "Zeol" should be fine.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to change some of the things you mentioned.
Page 4: I agree, it sounds weird... it should probably be more like "Hmm... All right, fine".

Regarding the attribute/magic:
The word is "空" or "sora" and it means "Sky".
If the author wanted the attribute to be "Empty" he should had said "空っぽ" or "Karappo", which is "Empty"
The priest in the first chapter calls his attribute for "空"/"sora" and therefor "Sky" Attribute, but i can understand that it does not roll as good off the tongue as "Empty"

Other people will still call it "Empty", because they can't see it but Nyango who can will call it "Sky".

Users who are viewing this thread