Kusunoki-san wa Koukou Debut ni Shippai shite Iru - Vol. 3 Ch. 18 - My lady's already on a different stage than me

Dex-chan lover
I really hate dumb plot points like these and the mc for not calling her out for being dumb as fuck

yes she would totally be much more disappointed and sad at how you've become less social than she is about how you are completely avoiding her

Double-page supporter
I don't have access to the Japanese raw--is Moe-chan calling her "ojousama"? I'm curious what the original Japanese term is that is on screen as "my lady".

Dex-chan lover
Sorry to say, but I personally think the story direction from here on out is just going to be an endless dragging of unnecessary drama that could have be resolved in a single chapter.
Still gonna continue reading it for the sake of wanting to know what is next but I'm not expecting anything much anymore.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!

Can't help but protect such precious smol girl. Please MC, help her.

Dex-chan lover
I think all of this to show that something happened between primary school and middle school. Pretty convoluted way to go about it but eh. Manga things i guess.

Dex-chan lover
Silly MC, you thought you were on the same level as Kusunoki, but she already experienced it all - rise and fall :dogkek:

Supporter
Don't forget to put yourself in Kusunoki's shoes. Yes, she  could tell Moe that she's different now, but how is that gonna feel? Kusunoki's obviously concerned about her social anxiety, probably even self conscious about it. Remember the manga started with her trying to hide the fact that she's a huge introverted otaku. Now combine that with a former friend who knew Kusunoki when she was bright and cheerful... Kusunoki is probably absolutely terrified of how Moe would react. Will Moe be put off, shocked, judgemental? Will Moe instead be overly careful and positive towards Kusunoki? It's very unlikely their friendship will be like it once was, and will instead just be awkward. Plus even if it somehow manages to not be awkward, will Moe even understand? Will she have expectations for Kusunoki to try and behave like her old self?

That all seems like a massive pile of stress and anxiety that Kusunoki wants to avoid. I'm not saying that just straight up avoiding Moe is a good option, but what IS a good option? Idk if they can just talk this out. Kusunoki almost certainly doesn't want to reveal her current self to Moe.

Dex-chan lover
I really hate dumb plot points like these and the mc for not calling her out for being dumb as fuck

yes she would totally be much more disappointed and sad at how you've become less social than she is about how you are completely avoiding her
I'm actually willing to give this the benefit of the doubt because they are teenagers and they're allowed to be selfish. It makes sense if you consider it not as wanting to protect Moe's feeling, but the female lead wanting to protect her own. There is something very scary about not living up to others expectations (and worse straight up regressing) especially for teens.

Of course benefit of the doubt means if this whole thing doesn't last more than 2 more chapters max and isn't resolved in an idiotic way. Like the female lead needs to confront herself and the fact that she was more scared of failing Moe's expectations than facing an old friend.

so basically every slice of life manga?
*every bad slice of life Manga.

Personally I enjoy slice of life more for chill character focused stories. If I wanted to read contrived forced drama plots I'd watch a K-drama, or reality TV, or Soap Opera (all of which I avoid).

I really hope this arc is resolved well and quickly. But so far this manga has been pretty bad in terms of progressing story period. it started with a clear goal and benchmark to follow along as it's premise. And that benchmark has gone nowhere. We've barely gotten character or plot development. We keep getting things teased our but nothing ever happens. Compare it to Komi which has a very similar premise. We consistently saw her make more friends many of which became recurring characters. The plot moved along nicely and beside that there was (much much slower) character development and relationship development. And the story still continues without forcing drama and giving us little glimpses in their lives and a very VERY different status quo than we started with (in terms of Komi's social life)

Here we're on Chapter 18 and the female lead's only actual female friend is a super suss girl that the MC has history with.... and she's running away from what would be her first genuine not terrible female friend because she doesn't want to feel bad about not being a social butterfly anymore...

That's all to say, don't insult slice of life. This is just a (probably) bad manga.

Users who are viewing this thread