Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 70 - Festering Resentment (Part 1)

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, the most plausible thing she's talking about is the possible presence of someone orchestrated the dismissal of her father and the removal of notices thereafter the dismissal.

To remove policies put in place for safety reasons, they must have used argument that a criminal's work or words were no longer held credibility, thus setting into motion the repeated poisonings of children/heirs of the concubines/consorts.

Since her father has returned despite his criminal record, its likely the same person will try to orchestrate another reason for him to leave or be dealt with permanently while his credibility in the palace is still low.

Dex-chan lover
FYI Moxibustion is another example of the "good for circulation/qi" pseudo-science so common in traditional/alternative medicine. It was suspicious that all these heavy metals are lying around poisoning people left and right, and Ruo Men wasn't able to educate anyone in his time as a court physician.

While qi is pseudo-science, moxibustion actually works for its intended purpose of improving bloodflow and relaxing muscles. It's medically recommended treatment for people who don't want or can't deal with more invasive or painful physiotherapy methods. After all, electrified heating pads and vacuum suction cups used in modern physiotherapy basically do the same thing.

Dex-chan lover
Hmmm... then... this would mean that the face powder situation has been known for at the very LEAST 35 years, and a very respectable and knowledgeable medical official was trying to turn it around, and still... nothing was done.

Sure, it could be chalked to incompetence... but the timing may show that there is more to it, which could mean a long-standing power play from very smart people.

In a way, even the current emperor is nothing short of a miracle to have been born, with all the shit we know has happened, his father being such a weak man could have very well brought the collapse of the country which could have been the design of someone(s).

Maomao may have stumbled into some deep shit, even more than before (and she already has poked her nose in a lot), she better takes care... with all the things aligning now, if one thing goes the wrong way, things go sideways quickly.

Aggregator gang
The irony is, if he never got kick out, he won't be able to take care Maomao because he'll remain in the palace and well, Mao won't be able to reveal the hidden secret of the palace or gained knowledge about poison and medicine in the first place.
If he hadn't gotten kicked out, Lakan likely would've been able to buy Fengxian and Maomao's life would be completely different

Dex-chan lover
Remember when Mao Mao saved the princess because her mother was using face powder (mercury)? She wasn't the first to use it, and Grandfather tried to stop it, and later got fired due to politics. The information he was trying to spread would have saved lives. What if it wasn't a coincidence he got fired and the practice continued?
Not mercury, lead. Lead oxide is a very solid white, and it's really easy to make into a finely divided powder that will stick to the skin, so it's long been prized for exactly this kind of thing - shame about the toxicity, of course, but you simply /must/ be willing to sacrifice /something/ in the name of beauty . . .

I... actually don't remember this scene in either the WN or the LN.

The LN refines upon the WN pretty heavily, so I'm not surprised there. It's entirely possible I just don't remember this particular bit of novel, since the manga has been pretty faithful to the LN so far.

Edit: I checked, and there's a chapter in the LN with the same name so I probably just forgot about this scene.

What I think she's referring to:
If the older ladies in the palace who run the clinic have been here since Luomen's era... why didn't they say something about the face powder?
Do you recommend reading the WN or the LN? How much do they differ? I heard WN is more seinen and LN is more shounen.

Dex-chan lover
not enough stud horses? your mans is taking hormone blockers so he can pretend to be a twink

Double-page supporter
I am thinking the same. It's obvious her father got kicked out because he got in a way of some high status people.

The irony is, if he never got kick out, he won't be able to take care Maomao because he'll remain in the palace and well, Mao won't be able to reveal the hidden secret of the palace or gained knowledge about poison and medicine in the fire place.

This is some sort of strange karma or butterfly effect because now Maomao replaces his father and has stronger position due helping high position concubines and solved a lot of cases.
You are forgetting that Loumen being kicked out caused Lakan to be sent away. The butterfly effect extends way deeper.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Do you recommend reading the WN or the LN? How much do they differ? I heard WN is more seinen and LN is more shounen.
Last I checked the WN had a . . . . sketchy translation, particularly for the earlier parts - from memory it improved significantly over time, but it was still far from being the kind of near-professional-quality fan translation that's becoming common for the top tier WN. The initial translation also stopped when the LN were licensed by J-Novel Club, which was around the end of v9 (quite a while ago now) - I think someone picked up some further chapters, but it's not seeing a lot of updates as far as I can tell.

The WN and the LN are quite closely related. I wouldn't say they're targeted at different audiences or anything like that - my take is that the WN is pretty literally an early-ish draft, with the LN being the finished version after multiple revisions. The bulk of the story arcs are there, they have mostly the same shape, and the characters and settings are mostly the same, but the LN version just feels more polished and cleaner. If you want to be a completionist read both of them (and both the manga adaptations, and I guess buy the anime on blu-ray?), but if all you want is to read the LN that this version of the manga (and the anime) is based on, reading the WN isn't necessary.

That said, there /are/ significant differences in the details, with some elements from the WN omitted from the LN and some new elements added to the LN - reading both will give you More Maomao(tm) than just reading one or the other. Just be aware of the translation quality issues.

Also, the official LN translations are good, not particularly expensive, and readily available (even in dead tree format) - it's an easy way to support the author.

Dex-chan lover
so mao mao 's adopted father is a noble giver . he gives away his money for charity , for the sick and poor peoples .
and in the past , he even gave away / sacrificed his c0ck , so he could enter the inner palace and save some life-s , lol .

page 16 :
- old teacher : im an old ugly weak eunuch , so im jealous and i HATE the young handsome strong eunuchs .

the handsome eunuchs made the girls to be distracted , so the eunuchs were sent to other places .
distracted girls are very dangerous , for example : in the ice-cream chapter , the distracted shaoran broke the ice cube .

Dex-chan lover
I agree with what @himi-cat said.

The WN I read by mix of google page translate and the original Japanese (I get the gist with translate, then I figure out what it actually says with my not-quite N3 level Japanese) and not the fan translations. Google butchers this WN more than most so it's a slower process for KnH than, say, Dahlia in Bloom or The Wolf Won't Sleep (back before its fan translation completed).

The official LN translation is really good, and the story changes from the WN are almost all positive.

For context, this chapter of the manga corresponds to partway through LN vol 4, and the LN prepub from JNC is nearly done with vol 11.

Users who are viewing this thread