Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 72 - The Fox And The Raccoon Dog Match Wits

Dex-chan lover
DO NOT SPOIL ME I WANT TO FIND OUT ON MY OWN WHEN THE CHAPTER COMES OUT! I cannot WAIT to find out that Maomao wasn't in any actual danger and was just too immersed in poisons after a bit, lol

Dex-chan lover
I think there's some kind of translation error or confusion, no?

It was supposed to be Shishou's men that were responsible for the interrogation of the suspects, since it happened on his estate. So Rakan is pressing him because it's awfully convenient for the true culprit, that the henchmen died under torture.

That's one element missing that he used to test and expose him to 'Jinshi'. The revolutionary gun from the West that could change how they do warfare, so most likely not only used for one assasination. And finally confirming that Shishou is colorblind, which might explain the old Empress favor.

Shishou not only has the means but also the motive to get rid of the Emperor's heir if his family has a true claim.

Dex-chan lover
It's nice to see Ahduo again!

It's a bittersweet moment to see Rakan so happy, boasting about the GO game with his wife, when poor Fengming is almost in the grave :(

Dex-chan lover
wasn't this tl before? but thanks!
I read it on Bato quite a while ago, but they never got the order of the pages right so it is nice to read it in a coherent order.

As for the chapter, I can't help but think it was too suspicious that the other maid was there to be "taken hostage". Was she not reported missing? Or did she return to her post and not tell anyone what happened?

Aggregator gang
This is my favourite arc of the light novels, I'm so excited!!!

Dex-chan lover
Bug girl has been sus from the first time we saw her. So I've got to suspect "fake hostage". So Maomao figures that out and uses it to her advantage at some point? Also, letting yourself get taken away == letting yourself get killed more easily. I hope Maomao has a plan and it's not just "I really, really want that formula!"

Of course bug-girl's suspiciousness could be a red herring from the author.

Dex-chan lover
It's kind of nice to hear that old fox is genuinely very happy with his wife. Cute trick with the juice, too. And he's very skilled in speaking backhand.

Oh wow funny such a militarily useful gun was used by an assassin, and also all the culprits got tortured to death so no useful info was gained isn't that funny. : )

Dex-chan lover
If you know, you know. Rakan my bestest mad genius. I think the manga (and especially the recent anime) display him way too villainous but maybe that's just bias of having read ahead.
I think his depiction makes sense. He is very much like Mao Mao, they are nice if you are on their good side but lets face it, if you are the target of their displeasure or suspicion, you will be fearing for your life.

Since we didn't know about his story yet and Rakan was suspicious of Jinshi, his depiction make sense until he meets with Mao Mao. someone who is on his good side.

Contributor
They really trusted the silver cups. Theres a lot of types of poison where them being silver does nothing.

Dex-chan lover
Glad to see Rakan and Ahduo again ( I'm gonna count this as the pre-wedding parents' meeting).

Jinshi is gonna find Maomao but I would pay to see Rakan's reaction if he found out that Maomao was kidnapped. He would go feral, mobilize the army to find her and would gut the kidnappers like fishes.

Dex-chan lover
Didn't the mangaka get arrested? How is this still coming out?
That was the other manga. This franchise has two manga adaptations.
The one who was arrested was the other manga's artist.
From what I know, the Mangaka of the other Kusuriya adaptation is on Maternity leave.

While the Mangaka of this adaptation had Tax Evasion issue, which was resolved. So the Mangaka wasn't arrested.

Dex-chan lover
so if the racoon can't tell the different between red and green it mean he could be an illegimate son of the prvious empress, half brother to current king
Yet he wed his daughter to the current king so our king is banging his niece ?
Not necessarily since color blindness's more common with people from the west, not just among the royal families but also among the common people. At the very least he's from the west but not a royalty. Yet, he know the color blindness common among royalty & try to use it to his advantage.

Double-page supporter
I think there's some kind of translation error or confusion, no?

It was supposed to be Shishou's men that were responsible for the interrogation of the suspects, since it happened on his estate. So Rakan is pressing him because it's awfully convenient for the true culprit, that the henchmen died under torture.

That's one element missing that he used to test and expose him to 'Jinshi'. The revolutionary gun from the West that could change how they do warfare, so most likely not only used for one assasination. And finally confirming that Shishou is colorblind, which might explain the old Empress favor.

Shishou not only has the means but also the motive to get rid of the Emperor's heir if his family has a true claim.

This is the excerpt from the novel for this scene:
「これによって火縄を使わずにすむわけだ。不発も少なく、構造も案外簡単ときた」

「それは、大層なものですな」

子昌が髭を撫でながら言った。その表情は読めない。

「ええ、大量に作り上げたら、今までとまったく違った編成ができるでしょうな。これなら、より密集した部隊を作っても問題なく、なおかつ移動しやすいのがいい。まるで、横移動ができる槍が増えたようだ」

『槍』とは将棋の駒、香 車のことを言っているのだろう。まっすぐ攻撃するだけの駒に、横の動きが加わればどれだけ脅威になるかわかる。

「それなのに、東宮の命を狙うような不届きな者が持つとは」

首を振りながら悲しんで見せているが、口は笑ったままだ。楽しんでいる、この男楽しんでいるぞといくら鈍い馬閃でも気付く。

「奇妙な話ですね。この武器はどこの経路からやってきたものでしょうか」

「さあ、どこでしょうか。それを調べるのが、そちらの役目でしょうに」

羅漢の問いかけに、子昌は言い返した。

「それはそうなんですがね、いやあ、困ったもので、担当部署の者がどうやら加減を間違えたみたいでして、その所在を知る者がなにも喋れなくなってしまいました」

なんの加減かといえば、察するべきだろう。罪人に、しかも皇族の暗殺を試みた者たちになにかしらの権利はない。

しかし、口を割らせるための拷問で加減を間違えたといえば、多大な過失だ。そんなに、そちらの者は仕事が下手なのだろうかと思ってしまう。

And here's the page from the manga
101.jpg

I'm not a translator, so I'm merely forwarding what I've gathered from talking with translators:
In the LN, as well as the manga, it is Shi Shou that is telling Rakan that Rakan is the one responsible for investigating, not the other way around.​

A possible interpretation as to why Rakan is in charge here is that the gun was given to Rakan to investigate everything, which would also explain how he was able to have the gun reverse engineered.

Also, I'm not sure if you're comparing this with the Official English translation because that version has Rakan telling Shi Shou to investigate, but this wouldn't be the first instance of the Official English translation (LN and Manga) getting things wrong (LN being the bigger problem).

Dex-chan lover
Uhm well, sorry to disappoint you but by the time Rakan finally bought Maomao's mother she already was beyond the point of being "well enough" to play Go (or do anything really) by normal standards. Her condition is described in chapter 40 (went back and checked) and some earlier chapter(s) iirc. But you're right about her being still alive.
Yeah, I assume (because it is just heavily implied) with the facial/skin lesion symptoms, that she is suffering from neurosyphilis. Which is late stage of the disease. Cemented by how they show her vision of what is around her and those flashes of conciousness. Ngl, it is a pretty well done example of it as well. I obviously don't know the extent, but from what is shown it is extrememly likely she doesn't know what is going on around her for the majority of her day to day.

Users who are viewing this thread