Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 7 Ch. 34 - Gao Shun

@frenchfry
Empress Dowager’s (ED) second child did not have previous emperor’s blood. It’s the result of her affair. When ED was pregnant of her second child, she should be in her 20s already, or at least in her teens. If you think of previous emperor’s pedophile’s nature, it’s very unlikely he still lusting on ED when she’s already an adult. That’s why she doesn’t want to give birth but her first childbirth was really hard so the kingdom really take care of her and neglect Lady Aaduo’s. And because of that, ED couldn’t have chance to make an accident for miscarriage. So, she swapped her child with Lady Aaduo’s. At least Lady Aaduo’s son still has previous emperor’s blood.

Dex-chan lover
page 4 : according to the doctor who knew the criminal sui rei , his teacher was her "guardian" , in other words , his teacher was her $ex friend . his teacher noticed sui rei 's talent for $ex , so he "adopted" her . in other words , she used $ex to get close to the teacher for her schemes .

jinshi keeps drinking the impotent medicine probably because it is very hard to walk around the harem with a big , uncomfortable b0ner in his pants , lol . and this medicine turns him into a pretty trap man ?

the biggest plot twist : gao shun is actually not an eunuch , but he still has his d!ck , he even has a grand-son . and the bratty , loud basen is not his brother , but is his son instead .

summary of the events :

- page 16 : the eunuch doctor who treated the dowager is the adoptive father of mao mao .

- the current emperor 's son and brother were born at nearly the same time , then lady aaduo switched the 2 of them , because no one gave a sh!t about her and her son . later , aaduo 's servant accidentally killed the emperor 's brother with honey .

- jinshi is the emperor 's son with aaduo , but he doesnt want to be the next emperor , so the emperor gave him the job of managing his harem . jinshi adds more consorts to the harem so the emperor will have more sons soon for the throne . they talked about this at the start of chapter 24 : https://mangadex.org/chapter/591234/1

page 15 : we have indian clothes , mongolian clothes , and 1 clothes is probably from this manga : https://mangadex.org/chapter/19728/1

7.png

Double-page supporter
Yes finally back to inner palace.
The outer palace has too many mysteries and lacking in characters, it becomes detective manga all of a sudden. I'd rather see the consorts and their maids.

Dex-chan lover
37-19=18 for brainlets but something still doesn't add up. Gao Shun married at 16 and had his first kid the next year. When he was 18 he'd already had his second kid and his wife was nursing Jinshi. How could he have had his third child from the same woman that year if she's nursing? What's confusing is that when you add in at least 6 months of breastfeeding to a 9 month pregnancy it becomes impossible to have 3 pregnancies in 2 years. If you say Jinshi was nursed with their third child then it gets even more time constrained.

Dex-chan lover
@Yadokari Maybe but we saw the family tree in one panel.

@daywithoutgames Anyone able to date this series? China wasn't unified for much of its history either so there was regional dress differences.
EbThTZW.jpg

@Ironclad
My partner and his younger brother are only eleven months old, so it is very possible that after giving birth and still breastfeeding a woman may become pregnant (especially if the birth was natural).

Contributor
@Ironclad I was torn between Northern/Southern dynasties (~Middle ages) or Ming dynasty (~renaissance), but in the end, I would hazard a guess and say that this was set in the early Ming dynasty, based on the fashion of not only the women, but also of the eunuchs, the soldiers, the mandarin square worn by officials in court (https://mangadex.org/chapter/820929/28), which really only started in the Ming dynasty, and the western dress that the consort wears looking more renaissance than medieval (https://mangadex.org/chapter/877596/15). Also, footbinding was mentioned in previous chapters, and that didn't exist yet in the Northern/Southern period.

So Jinshi still has a d*ck? Wouldn't it be a LOT of trouble if by some accident he got found out?

Dex-chan lover
Surprised that him not being a real eunuch was revealed this early, though it was foreshadowed enough.

Fed-Kun's army
@Perlavoine I think it was left heavily implied that he belongs to the royal family in this chapter though. If so then it wouldn't really amount to anything. Actually he might have been sent there by the emperor himself. According to his dialogue with Gao Shun, he seems to be in a secret mission, which is the reason why he's acting like an Eunuch.

@Midoriha @nyanpass @breizh @Harvester @musicfreak12 @2hot4you
the root is most likely pueraria mirifica, a tuberous root with leaves similar to those drawn in the chapter used in Thailand for several centuries. it may have antiandrogenic properties and is often taken by post-menopausal women there, IIRC. I find this more likely than TJ-68 since there's no mention of blending a root with a flower, and this series has been very accurate about its herbs. I have no idea if it actually works or not, and am personally doubtful, but I've spent a few years reading about this kind of thing so I'm reasonably confident about my identification.

@4V29LN0n
we have better alternatives nowadays. if you're trans then get on HRT. if you just want to look youthful, do skincare and wear sunscreen. (well, wear sunscreen regardless.)

@daywithoutgames
Amir is likely Kazakh or somewhere around there. The ethnicities were much more fluid before modern censuses.

@sukaley
a square neckline and high waist like the western dress shown is mostly associated with neoclassicism. we call it an empire silhouette nowadays but it's based on the chiton/peplos and dates to around the 17th or 18th centuries. but we haven't seen any men wearing queues, so we can't accurately call this manga Qing-period either. it's a fictional setting and should be left at that IMO

Dex-chan lover
Does Gao know Jinshi is the crown prince or nobody knows?

When Gao refers to Jinshi as your highness is it a generic term that also applies to emperor's brother?

Contributor
@cezyou the dress looks similar to, but imo not exactly the same as the regency era fashion (the fabric looks thicker/more shapely, with more focus on the puffy sleeves, whereas neoclassicist fashion often didn't have long sleeves at all). That, combined with the hairstyle, feels a lot more Italy circa 15th century (it really reminds me of Romeo and Juliet lol). The Chinese fashion (and Han-esque culture) also doesn't match with Qing at all. The artist has definitely taken some stylistic liberties (there's a lot of Tang dresses mixed in, but who can blame them, they're so pretty), but with the level of research that they've done for everything else, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that they're keeping the historical setting relatively accurate as well.

actually the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced this is set in the 16th century. Columbus brought syphilis to Europe near the end of the 15th century, so it probably would have spread to China by the 1500s.

Users who are viewing this thread