Kusuriya no Hitorigoto

For those who have read the LN, I have question

Does Shisui (Rouran's disguise), the insect loving maid, ever appear in this manga? I have trouble to understand whether Sui Rei = Shisui = Rouran, but it seems Rouran disguised herself as "Shisui" borrowing Sui Rei's real name? I've read the novel but I don't know what happens to Rouran/Shisui after the incident them kidnapping Maomao

Dex-chan lover
Woooah what did I just stumble across? Award winning? 9+ rating with 70k saves? 59 chapters? It feels like I won the lottery. Imma wait for the weekend to properly binge this 😤

Dex-chan lover
This version may be further than the other one, but this one has very much inferior art. The artstyle here is so undetailed and generic it really makes me wonder how this was green lit by the original author of the lightnovel.
Also why the fuck does this mangaka draw the protagonist like a loli?????
She clearly is not. She may be flat in the lightnovel but rather large for a woman. In this manga adaptation the mangaka went full retard mode and drew her like a fucking loli, which makes all the romance rather weird.

Dex-chan lover
Quite a pleasant manga with an interesting context, endearing characters and captivating mysteries. It's not entirely believable that people should be so nice and understanding for Mao in a real similar context, but that's fiction, it does not always have to be realistic.
Contrary to the previous poster, I like the art, which I find pretty dynamic and lively. I'm fine with moving away from the source material when it serves the story and I find interesting that she's rather short here, it reminds visually how powerless she actually is (or should be).
Thanks a lot to the translator, I'm probably going to buy this series now that I could discover it.

I have questions first can they not put poison in the food like inside the food? Hidden somewhere? Or does the poison tester taste everything also since I think this story takes place in china didn’t they invent guns first or more sofisticaded

Dex-chan lover
This has been the top spot on my "Why the hell doesn't this have an anime?" list for years. I'm so happy it finally has an adaptation, and they nailed everything from the look, to the tone to the voice actors (imo of course).

Last edited:
The manga chapters are named almost 1 to 1 with the light novel ones, which makes it very easy to pick up one where the other left off. Credit to the manga for it, it's very organized and easy to go through.
Chapter 66 of the manga is volume 4 chapter 2 of the LN. Both chapters are titled Sekiu (the LN has the name spelled slightly different, as Seki-u, but still.)

Dex-chan lover
i just made up this pun in japanese language :

this manga 's name is 薬屋のひとりごと = Kusuriya no Hitorigoto = drug house 's monologue .

monologue also has other readings : 独白 dokuhaku , or 独話 dokuwa .

good medicine , good drug = 薬 kusuri / yaku .

poisonous drug = 毒薬 dokuyaku .

so we have the name : poisonous drug house 's monologue = dokuyakuya no dokuwa .

Last edited:
TLDR: the romance makes me uncomfy but other than that everything else is good so I'll still read it.

To be honest this feels more like a case of stockholm syndrome rather than romance, he was basically about to r#pe her in the cave, I just can't understand how this can be called a romance?? Also, whilst this is my own preference tbh all the romance scenes in this manga are below lukewarm. (except for the cave scene, that.. was just. Like??? Wtf??) But other than the "romance" the plot is pretty cool, even though she should be a maid (since she can't be an apothecary yet) she's basically a detective! Still gonna read even though the "romance" gives me the heebie jeebies since it's interesting.

TLDR: the romance makes me uncomfy but other than that everything else is good so I'll still read it.

To be honest this feels more like a case of stockholm syndrome rather than romance, he was basically about to r#pe her in the cave, I just can't understand how this can be called a romance?? Also, whilst this is my own preference tbh all the romance scenes in this manga are below lukewarm. (except for the cave scene, that.. was just. Like??? Wtf??) But other than the "romance" the plot is pretty cool, even though she should be a maid (since she can't be an apothecary yet) she's basically a detective! Still gonna read even though the "romance" gives me the heebie jeebies since it's interesting.

rape?
are you reading the same manga as everyone?

Users who are viewing this thread