KyoAni Gofundme/Donation Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
Sentai would be finished if they're scamming.

Also 😢 as we (Doki Fansubs) have worked on a lot of early Kyoani shows (Air, Clannad, Kanon, Haruhi...)

Deeply saddened at such horrific event.

Have flights booked to Tokyo for September, wonder how this will affect the streets of Akihabara and the likes... very sad day for anime...

Double-page supporter
@Steamedbuninvasion
You'd have to be a moron to think Sentai would scam or pull some shady shit in response to a tragedy like this. They're not some shaddy ass pharma company. Not only would they get crucified on a global social scale, lawyers would tear their asses apart. At the absolute worst, they'd be incompetent, as there are no clear plans for the money but even then, there's literally zero room for them to fuck up. Not to mention, I sure as hell bet there are going to be eyes on this from all ends, because GoFundMe really doesn't want another scandal and Sentai doesn't wanna be know as the company who stole money from a group of victims of arson and mass murder. We've already seen past instances of people pulling scams on GoFundMe with fake or misleading donations for people, and they always get caught and fucked by whatever lawyer can get its hands onto the case. That homeless man scam comes to mind.

Anyways, you're literally saying the equivalent of "If Bob's brother starts a gofundme for Bob after he has gotten into a car crash and has broken both his legs, arms, spine and is in a coma, that's sketchy, but if Bob does it, it's cool". They're partners, so not only is this good optics for Sentai, it prevents KyoAni from having to go around asking for coin. It's literally a conspiracy level dumb idea. The most level headed concern would be who the money goes to, the victim's families, company, etc, and how it will be spent by those it goes to. Not whether or not Sentai is pulling a scam.

Dex-chan lover
Oh I know EXACTLY who Sentai is ... that being A.D. Vision. or ADV, remember ADV Films?
And also dont trust that since its not exactly going much beyond "we will raise money and then give then to who needs it" ... as who? This aint Red Cross on some kind of natural disaster were you know 5-10% goes to their pockets and the rest to the relief efforts, I rather someone actually does something properly instead of "give us money and we will work out the details later".

Also on the subject there is misinformation going on, just use this instead of relying on 4Chan since some people decided it was hilarious to pin this on /n/ are trying to meme what is something that come from 5chan ...

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190719_04/

Just for one's thought,

This tragedy on this scale rarely happened in Japan ( excluding natural disaster ). But still shocking. One of the most employee friendly studio that cares for their workers in flames...to top it off brought life to some LNs / made works that touches humane aspect of life eg. Silent Voice, Evergarden, Kyoukai No Kanata and heck Suzumiya Haruhi.

To be honest, I shudder at the thought of whether KyoAni could recover from this disaster. 30+ workers...that's at least half of their workforce....gone. Half! No amount of donation could recover the lost of talented individuals in KyoAni without spending a lot of time and experience/training. Man....thinking about this really made me depress.

Anyway, I just hope KyoAni could maintain their standard or be even better than before while still caring their workers. And my condolences goes to them.

Double-page supporter
@SteamedBunInvasion
It's not about being trusting, it's called being not an idiot and assuming companies have their own best interest in mind. Now, let's think what Sentai values more, a couple million, or risk being known as the company that stole a couple million from the victims of arson and mass murder. It's not a difficult problem for anyone with a working mind. And since Sentai is working DIRECTLY with GoFundMe who is holding the money until the plans go through on how to distribute, you can get doubled fucked with that dumb idea. You really wanna bet that GoFundMe would let them lie about all that, or present the idea that GoFundMe is in on the scam? Fat chance. It's a stupid idea that's got almost no room to work. This is hardly the time or place to be spouting conspiracy theory level ideas.

@Exile
Refer to the above, specifically the links and please do ignore the minor contempt.

@Admiral_Stukov
Iirc its more like a quarter. The fire happened at studio 1 aka main office which is why so many directors got involved. I think most of the animation staff was at the other site so there's that. Their archives are also in another building as well.

Fed-Kun's army
@AbyssalMonkey

GoFundMe has a 0% platform fee for organizers and relies on the generosity of donors like you to operate our service.
Thank you for including a tip of: % you select including 0

and that isn't skimmed off the top that is added to what you are charged

Double-page supporter
@SteamedBunInvasion
REEEEpeat yourself some more and ignore inconvenient facts. I've made my point, and you've helped me do so.

@AbyssalMonkey
First off, this about Sentai. Full stop. Beginning to end. Not about GFM, not about whether or not you should donate, not about how much of the donations KyoAni will get, nor about the best way to help KyoAni, but Sentai. Is Sentai going to pull a scam or shady shit? No. That's an obvious no. Anyways, managing such large amounts of money isn't free or easy, so I don't particularly see why a percent wouldn't be taken. It'd be nice if no one did, but it's not unreasonable. And GFM doesn't take cuts, so that's null. You're dragging this into areas unrelated. Point being, the odds of Sentai taking any money, that'd it'd be worth the risk or effort, is incredibly low and assumption made by some past cynical. There is no way Sentai would risk being on the end of this scandal for 5% of a million dollars, or the full million, nor would GFM.

Anyways, you do realize that web tracking, of all facets, are almost always inaccurate until after the fact? Especially when money and the necessary verifications are involved. So treating it as a silver bullet or big clue is naive. And this event is less than 24 hours old, expecting such degrees of proof or whatever you want so quickly is unreasonable. Right now the biggest concern is getting attention to the issue.

Considering sentai publishes many of Kyoto animations works, it's probably in their best interest to provide as much relief funds as possible over trying to skimp out on a little and risk getting exposed for it especially since they have a bigger long term gain from Kyoto animations recovery

Group Leader
i have some serious issues with this go fund me.

where are their cost breakdowns? why is there only a statement of intent? why is sentai filmworks asking for money and not kyoani?

Group Leader
@datsundacar
they RUSHED to make this unofficial gofundme page while the fire was still burning.
it's extremely fishy and there's definitely some ulterior move here.
capitalizing tragedies is the easiest way to get money after all since there'll be way too many emotional people without rational thinking.

How can we even trust this Gofundme or Sentai Filmworks? As far as KyoAni probably needs financial help, they didn't officially ask for this and the fundraising is done by 3rd party that isn't even one of the victim and the Gofundme was even started while the fire is still ongoing.

This is legit consideration considering lots of fundraising are total scams and/or have some of its donations siphoned. I would also like to mention that Japanese company are hesitant to receive financial aid, so where will the money goes if KyoAni won't accept the aid?

I think buying their original DVDs and merch would make the most sense here, well as long as they still those stuff aren't caught in the fire as well.

Group Leader
lol don't give money to that gofundme. if you think kyoani is worth the charity just buy their stuff from their online store. kyoani.shop-pro.jp , the money goes directly to them, cutting shady middlemen.

Dex-chan lover
Just a truly awful thing to have happened. And all these talented people are unlikely to work in the industry again cuz trauma is a very real possibility and that’s a shame and a loss for us all.

buy their stuff from their online store
It will only run into the company's income.

The purpose of this fund, if I see it, can run for various needs whether it will be used for what is ultimately. Fact: money cannot replace people's lives. But at least this can help. If I remember, studio one was the main headquarters, right? Many important technologies. Judging from the long-term planning, if donations cannot be used because there is already insurance, take this for those who are still alive and consideration of their future projects as well. Because we know that making anime requires capital. Regardless, I just hope they finally respond positively to this help.

Anyway, donating or not is a choice. Stop thinking of people who ---in your mind, look stupid for not knowing anything --- sincere to help. I see this condition can come with various possibilities. The logic is that if the company tries to try to make a profit, the impact must be questioned. But on the one hand, if no one is looking for interests, it also sounds strange. Maybe to answer the anxiety of many people, there is direct contact expected from Sentai. If it's not? You can free send a threat letter to them.

...I really don't know either. Anyway, just wait.

Just bought 2 KyoAni series recently at mass discounted price, so I’m sure that KyoAni and everyone involved got practically nothing for them. So I’m going to donate because everyone involved needs it. Now is when the biggest impact can be made, no matter how small the push. I care about both the studio, but more importantly the people involved. So I’m not going to stand on the sidelines and ask where my American money is going. Someone needs this support more than I needed that anime on the cheap. If another more direct line to either of the affected people or companies open, I will be sure to support them as well, but right now the first response is the most important one.

TL;DR I’m donating now because it will make the biggest impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread