Kyougaku Koukou no Genjitsu - Vol. 5 Ch. 64

What where they even talking about in this chapter? What does crossing a sketchy bridge mean? Some regional saying that I'm not familiar with?

Dex-chan lover
@Abedeus
Main shut off valve, I think. Landlord’s starting to turn off her utilities.

@JLZH
Probably some sort of weird Japanese pun that’s easily confused since their language is vague and reliant on context. Probably meant “A point of no return” but in severely different senses. Like being a delinquent to the point of no return, and failing tests so badly your only hope is the failing family business point of no return?

Group Leader
@givemersspls yeah like with every other wordplay/misunderstanding it makes much more sense in Japanese. I could have changed the dialogue so it sounds better in English but I really don't like doing that.

@Abedeus A stopcock is an externally operated valve regulating the flow of a liquid or gas through a pipe.
@HYBRID_BEING An "old boy" is an alumnus. Because she was a member of the same club who graduated earlier, that makes her an "old boy."

@HYBRID_BEING Technically, "old girl"/OG is the appropriate term, but I've seen "old boy"/OB used to refer to women far more than I've seen "old girl" actually used.

Fed-Kun's army
@cyand I generally get that as a stylistic choice but here so much of the dialogue reads so unnaturally in English that it really damages the flow of the chapter.

One thing I wanted to check is whether the sketchy bridges line is also part of a double entendre because it is one of the most common phrases in the chapter that reads awkwardly. Any original double meaning is also missing from the translation. You also opened up with "You have the eyes of a foreign child looking at a glistening trumpet"; which kinda flagged to people what they were in for.

Would you mind going a bit more into some of the idioms used in the chapter and where the biggest misunderstandings arise? Giving a translators note at the end of some of these tougher to understand or translate chapters can really help people reading it and also educates people in some of the nuances of the language and culture.

[edit] I definitely need an add a thank you to this post though. I really like the series and you've done a bang up job translating it.

Users who are viewing this thread