Kyougaku Koukou no Genjitsu - Vol. 7 Ch. 84

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if the term "Viking" has any relation to the term "smörgåsbord". Both Norse/Swedish in origin.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter was...not interesting.
Thanks for the translation though. Keep up the good work, there is only that much left!

Power Uploader
I wonder if the term "Viking" has any relation to the term "smörgåsbord". Both Norse/Swedish in origin.
Yep, it's one of those words that are used differently in Japan that they have their own term.

Dex-chan lover
I looked it up. They're kind of related. https://www.tofugu.com/japan/viking-buffet/

In short, a Japanese hotelier/restauranteur saw a Swedish smorgasbord while traveling and then introduced it to Japan. In doing so, they named the buffet-style of eating "Viking" to make it easier to pronounce because Japanese people can't pronounce a lot of words.

I could not find any explanation as to the technical differences suggested in this chapter between a Viking and any other buffet.

---

I get that she's supposed to sound whiny. I get that this is supposed to be like a normal, everyday kind of conversation that doesn't carry a lot of importance. But this just looked so awkwardly whiny. You have a teenager whining about "since when", "since when" over and over again. She's young. It looks like a young person saying she's longing for the old days. It looks weird.

Dex-chan lover
You're saying that as if anyone outside Scandinavia (except maybe some Finns) can pronounce "smörgåsbord" correctly. :p
I get what you're going for, I sincerely do. But I do still want to point out that Japanese is profoundly phonetically poor. The article I linked has an approximation of how a Japanese person might pronounce smorgasbord because Japanese speakers, as a tendency of speaking Japanese, often lack the ability to pronounce certain things.

And yeah, English speakers might not be able to pronounce the prior Swedish exactly. But it's probably a lot closer than a Japanese approximation.

Dex-chan lover
And yeah, English speakers might not be able to pronounce the prior Swedish exactly. But it's probably a lot closer than a Japanese approximation.
In my experience, no, kind of. Japanese has more of the same or similar sounds as Swedish compared to English. It depends on whether they try to use Japanese syllables. If they do, you get the usual extra vowels in consonant chains, but if they don't, they're not that bad. R/L aside. English, on the other hand, has a lot of the vowels sound different.

Dex-chan lover
In my experience, no, kind of. Japanese has more of the same or similar sounds as Swedish compared to English. It depends on whether they try to use Japanese syllables. If they do, you get the usual extra vowels in consonant chains, but if they don't, they're not that bad. R/L aside. English, on the other hand, has a lot of the vowels sound different.
Fair enough. I guess it's mildly open to interpretation as to which is "closer". I had a thought of saying which would be recognized by a computer speech recognition software as closer, but that's not exactly objective.

I do still think on balance, an "average" native English-speaker would say it closer to the Swedish pronunciation as compared to an "average native Japanese-speaker. English has those vowels too. They just don't use the proper ones when pronouncing that word. But that's just my interpretation of it.

Users who are viewing this thread