Land of the Lustrous - Ch. 107 - At the End

Dex-chan lover
Born too early to explore space
Born too late to explore the world
Born at just the right time to experience the most wonderful page sequence in manga history.

I love you all, brehs

how is this still going? I feel like everything that made me care about this story has been thrown away, and people are calling that beautiful but I can't help but disagree.

Dex-chan lover
what makes me cry is we were able to see the phos we first meet and the fact that she still want recognition from sensei, she just want a headpat and someone to be proud of her, a million years and she is still a kid who wanted attention from her parent... that she never got.

Dex-chan lover
what makes me cry is we were able to see the phos we first meet and the fact that she still want recognition from sensei, she just want a headpat and someone to be proud of her, a million years and she is still a kid who wanted attention from her parent... that she never got.
where was the phos and cinnabar friendship ending?

Fed-Kun's army
It feels like a new start. The rocks are a family and the eye mirrors sensei.
Rip Phos, you were the best.

Supporter
It feels like a new start. The rocks are a family and the eye mirrors sensei.
Rip Phos, you were the best.
I think it’s intentional, but there are distinct differences. The rocks inherently lack ambition, and senseye carries the opinion that humanity is objectively a bad thing. I’m not sure if that’s the inhuman ascetic enlightenment that Ichikawa is going for as a natural conclusion, or if phosrock will catalyse their growth and show that the struggle for self improvement is a universal truth. The latter seems more likely from the perspective of storytelling, but you’d have to ask someone like buddhism-anon for if such a thing would fit into the intended spirutual context. The former would basically be an ending without hope, which doesn’t seem to fit next to the endings of Ichikawa’s other stories. Senseye is portrayed as too imperfect of a being to be the a better arbiter of morality than adamant, though opposing him doesn’t seem straightforward, you know for a bunch of rocks.

Dex-chan lover
So, Phos mission is finally done. I expect only happy Little accidents from now on, not any kind of suffering.
Please, Ichikawa. I beg You, let there be "being phosphophyllite is happiness" from here to forever.

Double-page supporter
We're all proud of you, Phos. You helped those that didn't even deserve it. You saved everyone!! Now, just rest. Live a life of joy.

Dex-chan lover
This story makes me question my reading comprehension. Maybe it's finally time for a reread.

Double-page supporter
the sequence of Phos dying is one of the highlights of the manga, too bad the magazine added the author comment to almost ruin the mood.
One chapter left

Guess next chapter will be "millions of years later...", pretty disappointed about this last arc, this was my favorite manga when it was about gems, now it feels like something I've seen before already.

Users who are viewing this thread