Land of the Lustrous - Vol. 11 Ch. 81 - Gift

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what parts they'll rebuild Pho out of now. He's barely got barely any phosophyllite left in him.

Synthetic gems? Whatever Padparasha pulled out of his chest?

"Shatter" by O. A.R. plays faintly in the distance

this hurts more than anything I’ve ever read... the volume of tragedy is insane. God losing Padpa hurts :( Phos is so alone...

Dex-chan lover
@A-tan It doesn't bother me, while they don't have genders they are very contrasted with Adamant who clearly looks male.
Cairngorm's clearly acting feminine and married the prince, should we be using "she" instead of "he" for that gem only?
In the end we're all cringy and "it" is the right pronoun for the gems since they're things and not humans. Better?

@LeannaCR I know the only reason the translation uses "he/him" is because they refer to themselves with "boku," japan's masculine form of "I," since they don't really have 3rd person gendered pronouns. That said, I'm pretty sure the only reason they do that is because Adamant refers to himself that way, and they just copy him, but since it was never really explained, people like to get really gender political about it all when the gender doesn't matter.

Double-page supporter
Tbf the author did confirm they used male pronouns, while stating it kinda didnt matter because rocks.

We have "word of god" confirmation about the pronouns the characters use (which yes, they probably use because of Adamant), yet people still insist on not using them because they dont conform to their idea of what masculinity should be or whatever. Ironically, what actually bothers me is that is not canon more than being "gender political"; I just want accuracy, man.

If I'm not mistaken "boku" and "Watashi" are supposed to be gender neutral with "ore" being the more masculine and "atashi" the more feminine and I thought that the gems use a combination of those varying from time to time :0?

Dex-chan lover
If you want accuracy, then the right pronoun in english is "it". But I've never been able to call animals "it", it just feels inhuman, so I can understand giving gems genders according to their behaviors.

Supporter
It’s ok phos, I’ll make it all better.

With lots of missiles.

This is so painful to read

God Phos was a full-blown monster this chapter, barely even resembling what he used to be

This is one of those series that just screams "look back at where the MC began, then look to where they are now"

Why does Bort always have to butt in? I know why Dia hates him so much now.

Fed-Kun's army
I wonder what new and creative thing the author will come up with to hurt me in the next chapter

@Scalim
僕 is "neutral" but also masculine. (Think of it as "how little boys say I".)
私 is absolutely neutral. It's also very boring and very formal. (iirc Dia uses this near exclusively.)
俺 is VERY masculine. To the point of being offensive in many contexts.
A Japanese man would use any and all of these throughout his life. A woman, however, would likely never use any of them but "watashi".

The Gems all use some form of male pronouns. Some like Bortz are super masculine using exclusively "ore". Others, like Yellow and Phos, use the less masculine "boku". None use "ashi" or "atashi", the common "female gendered" pronouns.

And that is just self referential pronouns.
They all exclusively refer to each other with "(o)ni-san"/"aniki" and "otouto": "big brother" and "little brother" exclusively, respectively.

Gender is purely a social construct. This is especially true when the society is monosexed. (In this case, asex.)
And as such, all Gems are male.

Houseki No Shitshow amirite guys
Holy shit the chapters keep getting better and better!

PADPARADSCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Users who are viewing this thread