Land of the Lustrous - Vol. 12 Ch. 92 - Night

Aggregator gang
@thecronosone *Him and tbh I'm not surprised he said that one bit? He was always observant so of course he would realize the appreciation he got for helping the gems get rid of Phos was superficial.

But we are talking of a character that for most of his existence was shunned by his peers. It must have been like a dream come true when they finally accepted him, even If he knew the truth he couldn't help it.

And yeah pretty sure he is dead anyways lmfao so you got that at least.

Welp, whoever the hell emerges from that mess is going to be a lovecraft monster incarnate. Impress me Ichikawa, because I don't have any hope for a good ending in this story.

Double-page supporter
This chapter was breathtaking... This was so close to be a climax that I don't really know if we are going to get to 108 chapters. Ichikawa is making outstanting chapters one after another!

I do hope that if both Phos and Cinnabar get intertwinned some of Cinnabar memories get to phos. Because he is not being Phos for a long time now and I do think that he can't remember shit from when he met cinnabar.
Also, what are the chances that Phos gonna be so mixed up that he will not pass away? He gonna exists for a whole more time because he is not "pure" anymore.

Double-page supporter
Doki doki theme playing in the background.

Sigh, this manga is the poster child of "Oh, a new chapter is out, oh no a new chapter is out"

@mirhel
I JUST REALIZED this was foreshadowed in the anime's ending credits! When the phos' and cinnabar colors blend together!
I would call that a stretch but I remembered the anime director said Ichikawa had the entire series planned out and told them how it would go so this might've been the end game all along, holy shit
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/10/31/land-of-the-lustrous-director-takahiko-kyougoku-interview/
I found out what happens later in the story. Well, I can’t exactly talk about that here (laughs). We talked about a lot of things, though much of that won’t be able to make it to the anime
There’s one thing that the anime must do. The way that it portrays how Phos changes throughout, leaving it uncertain as to whether that change is positive or negative, is what makes the show special. In addition, it’s Phos’s meeting with Cinnabar that triggers this change. These two things are the foundations of the work.
I was asked by Ichikawa-sensei to refrain from touching on elements that haven’t appeared in the manga yet
I would think its just a neat visual but with all the parallels being drawn now?? Look at the ending, after the liquid consumes them they stand together in a beach, which reminds me of the place Phos went to in their dreams with Lapis

Dex-chan lover
This is beautiful. And I'm really enjoying this desperate and hopeless atmosphere. Though I'm in lunarian\moon gems camp, and rooting for them. So I'm really sad that Dia, Pad, Alex didn't make it.

Oh, this small mercury Phos figurine. When was the last time we saw initial version of Phos? Do you remember genki Phos? Recently i rewatch HnK anime. Oh boy it's almost physically painful to see how innocent and pure he was. And it's kinda fun to read comments of anime-only people who ship Phos with Cinnabar. Oh-ho-ho, a lot of them really thought this manga will take simple cliche route about two main heroes unite and overcome all hardships together. How naive! SUFFER!

Double-page supporter
Oh my god. Wow. Just wow. What a masterpiece of a chapter. Especially page 6; I would kill to have it as a poster, it's so beautiful, but it also perfectly shows off both characters. You can see their posing, how Phos stands tall and powerful, the opposite of how she was when she met Cinnabar, and Cinnabar bent in human effort to match her, looking a lot like how the old Phos would've done so. Cinnabar's mercury forms soft and organic but powerful waves that almost look like something if you squint your eyes, showing the hope of potential, while Phos's gold is no longer liquid but now sharp and direct, aggressively changing directions to find the best way to end the hope of the gems.
But in the second to last page we see how similar Phos's and Cinnabar's attacks are, which combined with the little narrative quip at the end really shows off how they're perfect foils for each other, as they started off as very similar characters and show how differently they've ended up despite being so similar.
We also see just how inhuman and cobbled together Phos is when the mercury melts her away and you see just her skeletal gold neuron-like structures underneath that's all that's holding her together; arguably when she lost Antarcticite and her arms got replaced with gold is when Phos really started her downwards spiral.
We also get to see how Cinnabar finally snaps and drops her calm defeatist attitude once Phos strikes her face, which is a nice treat. Again, shows the shared wrath at getting hit between the two of them, which further reinforces their roles as foils.

@dalp3000 Nice research, it really does seem actually possible now that she really did galaxy brain the whole series. I guess we'll see if it's confirmed or not next chapter.

The most dramatic chapter since Phos took in new parts to its body. This chapter signifies the next step in the plot. How will things progress?

If this fight gets animated with the same quality of the first season this will be amazing! Even a good coloring on those pages with the golden and silver masses clashing against each other would be awesome!

Dex-chan lover
This is irony because we can say the same about Phos. He's pretty much being used too.
Even worse, he himself didn't realize it.

And yeah, some red gem is going to fuse with Phos. If it's not Cinna because it's too weak maybe... (Look at Pad's corpse).

Man, I forgot to read this since 2 months ago. Literally just watch (read: read) it for like 2 minutes.
It's totally worth it. Amazing chapter!

Users who are viewing this thread