[Language] Hinglish + other Portmanteau/Blend Langauge Requests

Power Uploader
Add "Hinglish" as a language to separate "Hindi" and "Hinglish" translations...

Google's definition:
A blend of Hindi and English, in particular a variety of English used by speakers of Hindi, characterized by frequent use of Hindi vocabulary or constructions.
or in simple terms, Hinglish is basically Hindi (romanized)

i.e. (Solo Leveling Chapter 1)

This is in Hindi

This in in Hinglish

Upvote 0
Power Uploader
Why Hinglish tho.
How else can we find purely Hindi manga without clicking on each individual translation? 🤔 Most of the translations present under Hindi are in Hinglish (Mine included) instead of pure Hindi (using it's script/letters)

(Edit: More info on Hinglish over here - Hinglish - Wikipedia)

Anyway if this gets accepted I want Banglish
LMAO 😭 I mean Real

Last edited:
As someone who lives in a country that uses two and sometimes three different scripts for the same language I get it, but it is kind of hard to justify adding a whole nother 'language' to it.

Regardless, I believe this should be implemented because yeah it is convenient and I can't think of any other way to do it as is

Power Uploader
Maybe a Sub-language of a Main-Language? Not sure how that could be implemented though 🤔

Power Uploader
Since this has evolved "Portmanteau/Blend Langauge Requests" of English and "X" Language, I'd like to mention another prominent Portmanteau/Blend Langauge, i.e. Portuñol/Portunhol

Also
Screenshot_20240316-105815_Discord.jpg

(Via the #contributors channel of MangaDex Discord server)

Xnot (MangaDex Dev) would like to see it added as well...

Last edited:
Power Uploader
I can't think of any other way to do it as is
Another possible way I have thought of is being able to choose multiple (2?) languages in the upload process which then becomes the Portmanteau/Blend Langauge or just e.g. "Language X" + "Language Y", but then there's the issue of filtering, There has to be proper way to exclude Portmanteau/Blend Langauges without adding all the individual Portmanteau/Blend Langauges...

Last edited:
Which language would that be? I was curious
It's the Malay language. The Latin script is the commonly used one cause we were colonised.

We previously used an altered Arabic script (Jawi), but now it's used sort of like a liturgical script for Muslim literature and only some older generations still use it for general purposes because they're more comfortable with it. You do still regularly see Jawi on signage, it's basically just a telltale that the owner is Muslim if you're not in a state where the use of Jawi is state-mandated on signage.

In the northern states, which borders Thailand, there's a notable Siamese population which sometimes uses the Thai script, you can see some signs written in the Thai script read in the Malay language there. It's specific to their community and no other communities in the country uses the Thai script. In the southern states of Thailand you might find them though.

I've also seen people jokingly use Chinese characters to write but I can't really find information about it in literature so I assume it's purely a joke and was never a real thing

Tldr; the Malay language has three scripts, Latin, Arabic and Thai

Double-page supporter
Before adding some very niche dialects maybe add most common one - Engrish?

Dex-chan lover
...why not just add a "portmanteau" tag? The uploader gets to pick the parent languages, and adds the portmanteau tag. Otherwise we'd get a lot of new tags (and potentially wars over what to call them: Is it Engrish or Japlish or Japanglish, etc.).

Edit: If it's not too difficult, an (optionally visible?) category can be perhaps also be added to indicate orthography. No need to add new tags, simply reusing the existing language tags will work (indicating that its indicated language's official or de facto orthographic conventions are used). English orthographic conventions are different from that of Spanish, for example, though both are written in close variants of the Latin alphabet.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Otherwise we'd get a lot of new tags
While we are adding more language tags let's also split English to more specific variations like "British English", "US English", "NZ English".

Dex-chan lover
While we are adding more language tags let's also split English to more specific variations like "British English", "US English", "NZ English".
I can see your point, but I think separate tags for each variant of English would be too much. I'd prefer it this was restricted to country-level, standardized variants (as in your given examples), changing only the flag accompanying the language tag, thus not needing to add new tags per se... though thinking about it, this might overlap with my own earlier proposal.

Edit: clarification

Power Uploader
...why not just add a "portmanteau" tag? The uploader gets to pick the parent languages, and adds the portmanteau tag. Otherwise we'd get a lot of new tags (and potentially wars over what to call them: Is it Engrish or Japlish or Japanglish, etc.).
That seems like a pretty good idea as well to me.

Edit: If it's not too difficult, an (optionally visible?) category can be perhaps also be added to indicate orthography. No need to add new tags, simply reusing the existing language tags will work (indicating that its indicated language's official or de facto orthographic conventions are used). English orthographic conventions are different from that of Spanish, for example, though both are written in close variants of the Latin alphabet.
Somewhat related thread:
https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/language-script-fields-filter-in-languages.1675928/

I have never heard the term "portmanteau" before. But the process of spelling a word phonetically using non-original alphabet is called transliteration.

So have "Transliteration" flag for the language. So select Hindi and then check the Transliteration flag.

Power Uploader
I have never heard the term "portmanteau" before. But the process of spelling a word phonetically using non-original alphabet is called transliteration.

So have "Transliteration" flag for the language. So select Hindi and then check the Transliteration flag.
Transliteration might not be totally correct as sometimes in Portmanteau/Blend Languages some words from the other language are used as well

Users who are viewing this thread