Long term strategies to address bandwidth issues and running costs: MangaDex@Home + Affiliates + BTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Holo thanks. This worked now.

I've added a Server in Germany (OVH network - so probably the IP is tagged France)

Now i'm going to setup one in the SEA-Region (probably Singapore)

Ore

Dex-chan lover
Can the MD@Home be run on a Raspberry Pi? I have several HDDs lying around, a RPi 3 Model b that I don't use and a 300/300 Mbps (That would be gimped to 100/100 because of the RPi3 technical limitations) connection.

Any chance of accepting BAT coin? I have $120 of it saved up and would love to throw some MD's way. There's already a tipping system and everything.

https://publishers.basicattentiontoken.org/

Guys, i I got this correctly, is more about people with disposable server space and bandwith then normal people

A cheap scaleway server (100Mbps, 50Gb) is less then 4€/month) and will give much better performance then any home connection at a lower cost (no upfront cost, no electricity, no hardware investment or risk of failure)

sdz

Yo, you are probably looking for dedicated servers instead of individuals with high bandwidth, (servers are a lot more permanent than someone who turns their pc off at night and has to manually start the service each startup).
if you want the peeps with dedicated servers to help out (like me, I'd love to help, I'm already running H@H), I'd say drop the requirement of a speedtest via speedtest.net.
Speedtests.net tests are meant for indivials on a pc, they can be done via CLI, but they're really not meant to be run on servers (I don't even know if the CLI edition gives a shareable link).
This requirement is more of a hassle for the target audience than anything, just have the software do its own speedtest at startup, and go from there.

mhm.
then i will go with malaysia, since it's a 1Gbit port.
ETA ~24h (i will setup this tomorrow)

also:
my status is still "pending"; how long does it take to get it approved & where should i download the files?
mhm... seems like it's a "being on a batch-system" thingy ... I clearly haven't read this enough :D

As i'm using all of the servers for my company, it's not a big deal to wait - but still~

So does this mean, someone could build a community pot of rented online servers, and people could donate money via paypal or whatnot to run those caching servers not in the name of MangaDex? I only get 8mbps upload despite 250mbps download (I would have enjoyed building a server to handle that though)

MD@Home
Is there a way to amend a client request? Or update it once granted?
After digging through my traffic history, I realized that I could set the bandwidth higher.

edit: yes, I should have done that before submitting the request.

@grimof3d
yes, this is acutally possible :)

building up a server isn't that much of a hassle.

and having someone to pool them isn't a bad idea - since then it's possible to even split some servers.
that's actually a nice idea. Perhaps I should do this :)

Contributor
I have a question about the 24/7, is it 100% mandatory or a firm recommendation?

I obviously understand why, yet if it's a normal torrent-like P2P it should be okay to be ON like 16/day.

That is, if you're not going to make the place the only thing that can provide a dedicated chapter. But that would be crazy and quite a bit unreliable, I guess...

@holo
I'm able to provide everything but the upload speed. Here in Los Angeles the only option I have is spectrum and they won't break 100mb upload unless I'm on their highest business tier
My upload is 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread