Love is Still Too Early for Himeno-chan - Vol. 5 Ch. 40

Double-page supporter
Onii-san is the best bro and best waifu. Get you a friend like Onii-san.

Dex-chan lover
@drig2 I dunno about that. It may or may not have that big of a difference in formality on paper, but in practice a kid that calls someone that much older than them with the kun honorific is not being as respectful as they might be expected to be toward an elder. It's more or less fine here because the guy in question doesn't seem to mind, but if Tsubasa's mother heard her do this she might get told off for not showing him more respect regardless of his feelings about it.

That's most of what it is I suppose, it'd depend on the people involved, so there's not really a hard and fast perfect answer about this sort of thing. We see a lot of examples of grandchildren in manga calling their grandparents jii-chan or baa-chan for instance, but maybe in a different family they'd get in trouble for going any less than san. This kind of leaves it up to people on a pretty personal level to figure out what is and isn't right to use in social contexts.

@Glomoro, again, to me, whose native language has "T-V distinction" , it's similar to a kid using the "T form" towards an adult. Being strictly polite, they should using the "V form" in this case (and they usually do that towards, say, teachers or strangers), but it's generally acceptable using the informal "T form" with close family (including granparents) or adult friends, especially if the age difference isn't too big (like, an oniisan/oneesan, not an ojisan/obasan). Towards non-family adults it's a kind of sign of trust too, like "I don't see you as a stranger".

Fed-Kun's army
The hallmark of a great manga. A chapter with just side characters that doesn't feel out of place and is interesting to read.

Users who are viewing this thread