Machigatta Ko wo Mahou Shoujo ni Shite Shimatta

Contributor
Just an FYI by the Author on Twitter.
TFvXr5k.png

Forgive the English - he used Google Translate.

Contributor
On Twitter, Souryu (the author) seems to have stated that he (or she?) considers scanlating the same thing as pirating. I guess an argument can be made about that as we're reading his/her work for free.

Unfortunate as I do think that people who read scanlations spread the word to others who are more likely to purchase the medium. I honestly do have to wonder how people discover Manga without scanlations.

Contributor
@FlashGordan - Thanks for all your hard work mate, was a fun ride.
If you have spare time you can consider to pick up this isekai: https://mangadex.org/title/23635/potion-danomi-de-ikinobimasu since the actual scanlator dropped it.

ps: The author is very naive if she/he think that if i can't read a manga i'll go buy it immediately, now if this manga was available in my country he/she can have a point, but is not the case so there is no way i'll buy the japanese volumes or american ones paying for all shipping and custom taxes over here.
Is not worth, if i can't read it anymore is not the end of the world, reading comics for me is just a hobby not a matter of life, and moreover the main audience of manga are japanese fans where the 99% of the revenue came from and not a bunch of random foreigners.

Nope not for 18-20$ a volume in english...for what is probably not a great translation..not happening...will drop it. I understand the Mangakas position and see the point but work it out. The answer is no...dropped.

Contributor
The author also believes that official translations for a Manga are created based on how well it's received in Japan first. I guess that has some truth to it. Definitely if it's not well received in Japan, scanlators wouldn't even bother scanlating it, let alone learn of its existence.

The price of officially translated stuff are indeed way too expensive. And corporations haven't reduced the price, meaning people are actually willing to buy it at that mark up. And I doubt much will change as there are only a few big companies (monopolies) that control the English Manga industry.

I guess the best thing for people to do now is to just head on down to their local Barnes & Nobles or something and just read it at the store.

Edit: Looks like the author just backpedaled a little bit and said that scanlations do help his sales, but only if it's a few chapters to act as a sampler. But if his/her whole series has been uploaded, he can't see it as being helpful. I think this is more accurate.

QSS

Group Leader
Kind of you to stop when the author requests it... I honestly should buy the official's.
I look forward to your next work, flashgordan!

I understand stopping as per the author’s request, but why does the Italian translations have more chapters? I’m sure it might have to do with a language barrier, or something, and I’m being a salty-Sammy....

Fuck this, the author should know that people will buy his stuff if it's good enough and the english translations are not just for a single country where his manga may be published. I don't buy manga to read since I don't live in Japan where I could buy it the week it's out, unlike everywhere else where mangas are sold by the volume months later after a chapters is published.

So yeah, I buy and collect manga to support the author, but if it wasn't for the scanlators I wouldn't even know about them, I fuck no I won't buy this shit if I can't read it first online.

Dex-chan lover
check out the mangaka 's latest manga : https://mangadex.org/title/35150/bishoujo-senshi-04r1/chapters/ .

Dex-chan lover
The official English translation will jump a bit past where Gordon left off on August 13th or so I think, and that may well end up on other sites if someone decides to just scan the volume. Which does happen fairly often. Volume 4 slated for December 10th or so I think. Or somebody else might pick it up despite the official volumes if you're patient enough, that does happen. Or someone just ends up machine translating the Spanish scanlated chapters on here already, possibly with the go ahead from that group to use theirs as raws if given credit for such or what not, that could happen too. I'm absolutely a straight up leech so I'm just gonna wait and see, but seriously. Would a couple of you guys like some cheese to go with the whine you left in here?

I am a collector. I will spend money on a series I like to own a copy for my book shelf. I am not as likely to spend money on a series if I have not read the majority of it.

I am also not likely to start buying a series from the middle. I want the entirety of the series, from the beginning to the current end.

This was dropped because the mangaka requested scanlation to stop for reasons down below. So if you dont want to feel the suffering of reading a good manga without ever knowing whats going to happen or how it ends, dont read this. But if theres a bookstore near you with this there then go ahead.

Fed-Kun's army
Ah, the myth of scanlations and pirating. Unfortunately, many people overestimate the real impact of pirating (or scanlations). People who won't buy it, will NEVER buy it. People who want to buy it, will probably buy it regardless of scanlations existing or not. Thus, no one will buy it. Only people who like it enough to buy it, and have the money to, will buy it.

So no, you don't lose money from scanlations. You just don't. Stopping scanlations won't increase sales.

From an economics standpoint, books are luxuries. Which means only people with money for them will buy them, not to mention books themselves are considered a "collectible" type of luxury. Scanlations don't affect the "demand" of a luxury item. But they are essentially free marketing tool for people to buy a luxury item. In essence, Scanlations actually drive up demand for a book, otherwise, its people who won't buy the physical copy will just go to a book store to read it without buying it. Physical manga a commodity with a stratified demand at a price point break. In economic model terms, scanlations actually shift the demand curve up. Without them, it will either stagnate or go down (because as we all know, lack of scanlations or releases actually shift the demand curve downward), since manga sales are based on amount of consistent readers or collectors.

I would insert a economic model, but too much work for something no one cares about but me.

That, and "official translations" are quite terrible and of shitty print quality. The don't even include the book cover that EVERY JAPANESE volume has, on only have a crappy paper back cover, for 20 f*cking dollars, which is why I always import japanese or other asian language versions for half the fucking price of an english one, in which I quite literally need the scanlation to read, an preserve the japanese version as a collectible.

Case and point: Nearly 75% of all yen press translations are absolutely shit. Viz for the longest time had the worst fucking localization. And the now dead tokyo pop was probably the worst translator of all. Amateur MTL's were better then these guys.

If anything, its the translation companies that take away from potential sales for making it soo f*cking expensive at a shitty print quality.

But, just ripping raws of the japanese manga is bad though. Its only 6 or 7 dollars in japanese yen for a typical manga volume, which by my standards, is more or less affordable, rather than 20 dollars for a f**king crappy "official" translation, that exclude all the stuff that comes with usual volume releases like afterwords, art, covers, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread