Machigatta Ko wo Mahou Shoujo ni Shiteshimatta - Vol. 3 Ch. 26

@Glomoro
Don't forget that it's also officially being translated and distributed.
It's specifically the lack of the author's consent AND the fact that there already is an active official, licensed translation AND the scanlation covers officially translated material without offering an obvious improvement in quality AND the previous scanlators also agreed that ceasing scanlation would be the right thing to do.
... That's a lot of cases against it. I can see a scanlation being morally justifiable in spite of some of these reasons, but not all of them.
(This being on the wrong side of the law is already a given, but I believe that morals can and should outweigh the law to a reasonable extent...)

The cases in favor:
If you reeeaaally stretch it, you could maybe make an argument about the need to distribute it digitally for those living in places that don't receive shipping (at sane prices), I guess...
It's technically not impossible that a handful of people in a situation like that who also love this manga exist... I guess...

It seems like I misinterpreted mangadex being cooperative with mangaplus as moral behaviour. I guess it was really just about power- avoiding conflict with someone who can actually hurt you.

Dex-chan lover
@Thomaster
dude, in case you haven't noticed, this is a piracy site, sure some scanlators might choose to do as the author says when they ask for scanlation to stop, just as plenty of others can choose not to stop.

As for it being licensed, that doesn't stop any of the group scanlating any of the other licenced series on here.

Dex-chan lover
@Thomaster Dude, some of the most popular series on this website are being officially translated and distributed. MangaDex also isn't in any sort of relationship with MangaPlus, cooperative or otherwise. MangaPlus probably don't even know anything about those links unless they've been keeping close track of stuff like where people are getting sent to their site from and a decent number of people are actually using those links. It was an experimental form of linking to official translations, to see if people appreciated having it or not and if they should bother doing it with other sites like Webtoons or Toomic or whatever, so people can still use their follows here even when reading somewhere else.

If any of those series were being scanlated by a group that was actually using MangaDex, it'd probably have those people's chapters right next to the ones that are just links to MangaPlus. Pretty sure most of the people doing them were groups like JB, though, and they took their ball and went home because they want more ad revenue from people reading on their site either so they can keep buying their raws comfortably or whatever. I'm not really going to judge them because however you try to dress up the more "harmless" side of scanlation, where someone does a project because it's never been licensed and probably never will, it's still illegal distribution of someone else's intellectual property if they didn't ask for and receive permission.

@glomoro I feel like you misunderstand. I feel like there is a VERY strong difference between scanlation without permission and scanlation when the series creator has asked one to stop.

In general I've legitimately heard significantly more instances of Japanese content creators being glad to have people scanlating their work. Even ones for whom the series has been licensed in english. I've even seen multiple instances of the scanlators straight up having cameos in the core content (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni for one, and, allegedly, Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou), out of appreciation from the creators. And not really as a rare thing either. In all of those cases, the scanlations started without permission.

And I feel like readers have a right to know in the instances when a scanlation is specifically against the creator's specific requests, especially given how frequently creators welcome or simply don't care about scanlations. I don't necessarily believe that that means that they should be removed from the site, just that they should be able to be aware of that without having to specifically research it. Additionally, I feel like anybody picking up a series that was dropped for this reason should be notified of the fact that that's why the past scanlator dropped it. If they want to continue scanlating it regardless, that's fine, but the fact is that some scanlators looking for series to pick up might care about that kind of thing, and for those that do, it'd really suck to have the creator get upset at them for "continuing when they were asked to stop" when they legitimately did not know.

(Also, the fact that the series is licensed legitimately is irrelevant. I feel like the words of the creator should always have more weight than whether it's licensed or not, especially as many people who might speak a language it's been scanlated into might still not live in an area where it's ACTUALLY licensed, particularly for languages as widespread as english. Thus "It's licensed" legitimately isn't a great argument against scanlations continuing)

Group Leader
I'm gonna start saying "shut the hell out" from now on

also I'm gonna eat puff now

Users who are viewing this thread