Made in Abyss - Vol. 13 Ch. 69.5 - Volume Extras

Dex-chan lover
Fun fact: Kentaro Miura, author of Berserk was openly a lolicon and vocal defender of loli art. He also drew uncensored little girl slit on Berserk, something Tsukushi never did even in doujinshi. Funny thing how looking like an ugly bastard changes how people judge you.
Miura never drew a crossdressing boy nugget with six nipples in lingerie rubbing tits with his twin sister but I see your point.

Dex-chan lover
How are there this many people that are this far into this manga complaining about the mangaka doing what he's been doing since he started? Alongside still continuing to read said manga?

Dex-chan lover
wow didn't know they got tourist here
I've been reading this title since I was in highschool over 6 years ago. I've read every chapter twice and followed every announcement of a series and movie. I love the story and the art. He is extremely talented, yet it makes me want to vomit when I see how he chooses to depict his child characters. How dare you accuse me of being a "tourist"

Dex-chan lover
Different rules for monstrous butterfly girls I suppose.The framing makes a big difference. In that case the surprising nudity made the character come off as tragically unhinged and wilfully naive, in a manner which really made her stand out among the other apostles. Like she was fully immersed in her "innocent" fantasy world. Seems most people find that easier to swallow than how Tsukushi Akihito draws ALL his child characters the way he does, and often includes sexual overtones for no apparent reason other than that he feels like it.
Thank you

Dex-chan lover
I've been reading this title since I was in highschool over 6 years ago. I've read every chapter twice and followed every announcement of a series and movie. I love the story and the art. He is extremely talented, yet it makes me want to vomit when I see how he chooses to depict his child characters. How dare you accuse me of being a "tourist"
Personally, I don't think it actually bothers you that much if you're still here. If you truly thought that it is as bad as you claim it is, you'd have stopped by now, I would think. There's no such thing as "ethical consumption of CSEM," of course. I do find it funny that you can stomach Berserk when it comes to the things that it depicts, but not this. I haven't read it, but I can't imagine that Made is Abyss is any worse than Berserk is.

Either that, or you just called him a pedophile to call him a pedophile, for whatever reason. I dunno.

Dex-chan lover
wow u read his stuffs despite hating him amazing im glad to know he wont stop doing these goodluck lol

Dex-chan lover
He's an extremely talented artist. And that's what makes it so heartbreaking to see him draw such heinous things.
Ah, yes. Reading Made in Abyss while telling everyone how much you dislike how it depicts its characters so they know you disagree with it. As opposed to just dropping the "objectionable CSEM material" whole cloth and condemning what you think it is instead of continuing to consume it. I feel like you haven't an ounce of critical thought if you still haven't realized that you're doing this. Keep in mind that, under your own rules, you have actively been consuming "CSEM" for several years, and currently admitting to doing so right now. If it actually was, and you got caught by the right people, good luck defending it.

If you're gonna call him a pedophile, at least back it up with actual evidence like with the Ruroni Kenshin and Oshiete! Gyalko-chan mangakas, both of whom have actually been convicted. The latter one in particular is disappointing for me in particular, since I actually quite liked the anime. I will retract anything I have said only if Tsukushi Akihito himself is actually convicted of the same crime.

Either way, I sincerely hope that you don't act this way with actual CSEM and not some lines on paper.

Dex-chan lover
He's an extremely talented artist. And that's what makes it so heartbreaking to see him draw such heinous things.
... draw such heinous things? Really? Yeah, it annoys me that I can't recommend this manga to my semi-normie friends because I know it will creep them out, but these drawings are fairly mild in the grand scheme of things. I've stumbled across immeasurably more cursed manga that haunted me for weeks! And that's not even counting the infamous meme ones.
The only thing that makes MIA stand out in this regard is that the setting is so compelling and the story+artwork so good, that plenty of people who don't like suggestive loli/shota stuff love the series anyway. And then they get really frustrated by the author's transparent disposition, wishing they didn't have to deal with it.

Dex-chan lover
Just pointing out how people speak about them differently. Also I have seen way more actual child molesters among "moralists" calling artists pedophiles than the artists they accuse.
I agree with you, but it doesn't change the fact that what he draws is questionable to say the least. It's consistent across MIA too.

Double-page supporter
... draw such heinous things? Really? Yeah, it annoys me that I can't recommend this manga to my semi-normie friends because I know it will creep them out, but these drawings are fairly mild in the grand scheme of things. I've stumbled across immeasurably more cursed manga that haunted me for weeks! And that's not even counting the infamous meme ones.
The only thing that makes MIA stand out in this regard is that the setting is so compelling and the story+artwork so good, that plenty of people who don't like suggestive loli/shota stuff love the series anyway. And then they get really frustrated by the author's transparent disposition, wishing they didn't have to deal with it.
Made in Abyss already is popular among normies, it is popular in normie streaming services. I recommended the anime to a mother in her 30s and turns out she already watched both seasons and the movie and she liked it a lot. The manga is sold in regular stores even in countries where lolicon art is illegal. Don't confuse virtue signalers with normal people. Virtue signalers are just a loud minority.

Dex-chan lover
Made in Abyss already is popular among normies, it is popular in normie streaming services. I recommended the anime to a mother in her 30s and turns out she already watched both seasons and the movie and she liked it a lot. The manga is sold in regular stores even in countries where lolicon art is illegal. Don't confuse virtue signalers with normal people. Virtue signalers are just a loud minority.
Oh, I agree the anime adaptation is an easy recommend! But it is subtly sanitised. A lot of my friends have already watched it. They quite liked it, but judging from their comments I'm fairly certain they would not appreciate the differences in the manga.

Double-page supporter
Oh, I agree the anime adaptation is an easy recommend! But it is subtly sanitised. A lot of my friends have already watched it. They quite liked it, but judging from their comments I'm fairly certain they would not appreciate the differences in the manga.
I mentioned the manga too in the post. Do you think it would be sold in normie stores and available in libraries if normal people equated this to loli hentai?

Dex-chan lover
I mentioned the manga too in the post. Do you think it would be sold in normie stores and available in libraries if normal people equated this to loli hentai?
Oh I don't think they do. Far from it! But that doesn't mean they can't still find it a little controversial. This is not a black and white thing. More importantly my friends aren't random normies. They're my friends. I already have a decent idea of how they feel on the matter, assuming of course that they've spoken honestly. When a guy tells me that he really enjoyed the MIA anime except for the occasional sexual overtones which rubbed him the wrong way, I won't bother shilling the manga to him. I prefer to read the series, but he's clearly better off waiting for the next season of the anime.

Dex-chan lover
Dude, what the hell?

We couldn't just have one normal extra chapter could we? Not even one?
It is normal, now drop the manga and be quiet.
Tourism in action.

Fun fact: Kentaro Miura, author of Berserk was openly a lolicon and vocal defender of loli art. He also drew uncensored little girl slit on Berserk, something Tsukushi never did even in doujinshi. Funny thing how looking like an ugly bastard changes how people judge you.

Just because Miura was a pedophile doesn't change the fact that Tsukushi is a pedophile.

A large part of it is clearly a difference in perceptions around this whole lolicon/pedophile thing between the East and the West (which might even have been further exacerbated in the past couple of years). "Pedophile" is unambiguously a word with negative, criminal connotations in the West, while in the East "lolicon" is a subculture label/taste that is openly discussed in all the mainstream discourse on anime/manga/light novels/visual novels etc., and as you can see in this case can even be openly defended by a world-famous artist in Japan.

In the East, nobody throws the equivalent of the word "pedophile" around unless the subject being discussed has harmed an actual child, which of course is a crime that needs to be punished. Nobody will argue with that (including of course all the artists who produce lolicon/shotacon art), otherwise they need to have their sanity checked. No matter how crazy the 二次元 art can seem to be (even in this case of MiA, which as somebody already pointed out here, is far from the most extreme), people producing and consuming such art have completely fine moral compasses when it comes to interacting with the real world, which you can clearly see reflected in the low rate of crime in Japan and overall in East Asian countries.

Given this cultural background, it's not surprising that the communities in East Asian countries give zero fucks about this aspect of MiA and actually focus on the plot, the worldbuilding, the art etc. It's so disappointing to see any discussion on MiA nowadays swamped by the same repeated arguments which have nothing to do with the story itself, even on Mangadex, which I guess has long become increasingly mainstream as the biggest English-speaking manga site and frequented by more normies (or to put it another way, those outside of the hardcore community) nowadays, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread