Made in Abyss - Vol. 9 Ch. 54 - All the Things You Collect

Aggregator gang
wtf happened to her eyes

Mitty's death was cheapened by making her reappear for no reason other than PLOT, so that was a good chunk of chapter wasted that could have been used to advance the whole "Faputa is going bananas" storyline.

Meh chapter overall

Damn this arc is ending. Eager for the arc's conclusion on next chapters, hope Tsucc releases them soon!

Contributor
I had to re-read the last 5 chapters to make sense of this one. Why the long delay between releases?

Fed-Kun's army
Despite only barely grasping the ins and outs of this crazy Narehate arc, Tsukushi does me a favor and returns to a concept I'm more familiar with: Nanachi and Mitty. And with the setup from a few chapters earlier, I can now enjoy this farewell in its entirety. God, that hurt a lot.

Also, I'm not sure if I should be rooting for Faputa (I think she is as much of a victim as the explorers, the village and its inhabitants themselves), but Reg is going to face her off now, I guess. Hopefully that comes to a tearful conclusion instead of an action-packed one, since the "good guys" are not clearly defined for me (and that might be the point).

By the way, if anyone has a more solid opinion on "who's in the right" in this arc, I'll gladly hear it.

@colxeric The author was working very closely with the sequel movie's production team until this January. That's what ruined his manga release schedule.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Nanachi never grieved Mitty's death, Bun killed Mitty because it was the only choice at the moment as Nanachi could die at any moment hunting or doing anything else in the Fourth layer, but in reality she still didn't wanted to let Mitty go despite her final wish and she always had the idea Mitty may still be alive, an idea people still grieving have a lot. This chapter acts as a final closure for Nanachi, as Bun has the choice to stay with a Mitty that hasn't suffered all Nanachi attempts to kill her, in a safe place without risking dying or continue her journey and liberate this cloned Mitty soul, and so she truly accepts Mitty last wish. This is not killing because there isn't other choice, this is killing to finally grieve and truly move on to her new journey.

Nanachiiiiii 😢😭

I felt that. Im happy she got closure from Mitty’s death.

I just wish i understood what the fuck the ending was trying to say....

Aggregator gang
@Neverius Thats good and all but that's precisely the problem I have with the choice of bringing her back on a whim: Not everyone is going to get to grieve properly and sometimes (such as this exact arc shows), we have to live with the burden of our own actions.

Again, I see no purpose in bringing a clone of Mitty story-wise, other than trying to pull at the reader's heartstrings. She was dead and that was it for me, and should have been for Nanachi, otherwise why even bother going with Reg and Riko yeah they wanted to die or smth and going along with them seemed like the most bizarre way to go about it considering their suicide mission and all but thats kind of beyond the point.

Faputa's confrontation is something Im looking forward to tho. Will Reg have to turn her to ashes?? Who knows!

?? I exactly don't see the problem, as you say no one is given the chance to grieve properly, only time can help us grieve and that is exactly what happened here, the conflict of how a character that is still grieving must make the choice to stay in the past and continue grieving or move on and help her companions in danger, it is Nanachi final test to her most haunting memory. And it is exactly as you say, Nanachi even if she choose to kill Mitty in the past it wasn't she who did it but Reg as he was the only one with the power to do that. Now she the power to let her live or die, truly having to feel with the burden of her actions.
The whole subpoint of souls in the Abyss, a theme touched since the begining of the story and slowly bringing in the story how they have a huge connection with the Abyss and more important power. clone Mitty is another introductiong to this huge plot, as we now know they can be created by the power of the Abyss relics. That is actually the point, Nanachi in the all the chapters before was just following them, it wasn't really Nanachi true purpose as Bun was still grieving Mitty and not the grieving of someone who feels sad from time to time, it is the grieving of someone who was planning to just commit suicide.
But people have different ways to see things, also looking forward that clash.

Great chapter.
Belafu being majestic until the end was both beautiful and sad, he was the only one that regretted eating Irumyu´s babies so he probably sees Faputa´s coming more as liberating than anything.

Nanachi getting closure for her feelings for Mitty was hard to read, at least now she renowed her will to live, instead of just going along Riko and Reg just because like she was doing until now.

Really looking forward to how things will turn out. There are literally no good guys here, everyone has done something terrible so i doubt we´ll get a happy ending, just hoping for a satisfying conclusion before the journey continues.

*cute narehate sounds
*lovecraftian shriek
lol @ the sound effect descriptors

Double-page supporter
Faputa will die cause all of the old characters are all dying

Yeah pretty bad chapter overall. I don't understand the purpose of belafu giving his memories to nanachi and clone Mitty being a thing, if she is being used to give closure to nanachi. I doubt that worked, since she says they will meet again anyway. This just takes away from the impact from the first dead tbh. Faputa will now kill everyone and join the group I geuss with vueko or will kill herself to be with her mother and siblings after she destroys the village.

This arc is very deep, as deep as the Abyss.

But so deep that i gave up to reach it, so it is more like a total mess to me, and a "meaningless mess".

The main characters are being pushed by the events from one side to another without any major devenlopment. This arc is like that western series where the protagonists get involved in particular events of a local place, help the local protagonists, find a conclusion, and then leave it as nothing had happened to them at all.

What has Riko learned? That a weird abyss community really cares about subjective "things of value".
What has Nanachi learned? That she was able to sacrifice Mitty again, for the sake of both again.
What has Regu learned? That he already was in that place before, somehow.

The rest is self devenlopment of the Narehate characters, until all be destroyed.

Well, i hope this arc ends soon, in the next chapter, and they become able to move to the 7th layer, which will be even more insane, since i'm pretty sure that it will involve time distortion.

And then i pray for the author, for his health in this current real world cataclysm, and since any new movie or TV series will be produced in the next years, for his concentration and inspiration while elaborating the climax of the story.

The best for all of us, see you next month.

Users who are viewing this thread