Made in Abyss - Vol. 9 Ch. 54 - All the Things You Collect

Useless chapter and horrible resolution to Mitty's subplot. This arc is almost 4 volumes long and half of it gives impression of a filler. What was the point of 3 chapters with a fight against jellyfish? Why did raise stakes so hight only to end the whole thing with "lol, I was so impressed by your fluffiness, you are free now"?
All this melodrama is pointless, Nanachi's catharsis doesn't have any weight or meaning because it wasn't reached in natural way. She was doing nothing last 10 chapters.
Faputa's mass slaughter of village narehate was skipped. Once again Reg fell asleep in dangerous enviroment with no negative backwash. Remember when it was introduced as extremely vital and major flaw?
Character plot armor is getting ridiculous. They are selling themselves to monsters, tearing their body parts, but nothing of it matters.

Dex-chan lover
@Crowbar76 oh, I guess that makes a little sense, just amazed that mitty could be replicated. Think I gotta re read this again cause I don't remember when it was mentioned that bondread went to the village.

My biggest complain is how the heck parts of belafu (that bondrew brought up at exchange of mitty 2.0) could bypass village's barrier without turning into nothing, same thing (but reverse) for mitty 2.0, who was recreated at idofront

Double-page supporter
@VIVIT
I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding something. This Mitty never left the village, and neither did Belafu, she was created BY the village in exchange for Belafu's parts.

Belafu had the desire to recreate Mitty after seeing the original brought down by Bondrewd, who then left and returned to layer 5 with the original still.

Double-page supporter
@Onsokumaru
Where are you seeing that? This chapter he's dissolving as he flys off, and when his parts were taken earlier they were taken directly by the village

Dex-chan lover
@Onsokumaru Bonrewd didn't take Belafu's parts. Some other person within the village did in exchange for them making a copy of Mitty's soul.

Nice. Those monsters were a bunch of literal degenerates, it was about time they were put out of their misery.

@aishari
I gotta agree with your analysis. The arc was interesting for the body horror and the shock value. However, I couldn't give two fucks for the monsters or Mitty's second demise. The Abyss has magical artifacts that can and will fix everything anyhow. One magic wish artifact not enough? Here's 2 more wish spheres. 1 tragic undying malformed character not enough? Here's another one! And let's kill it of too with ease despite its immortality. Eventually you know the author will introduce a 3th Mitty. Also, besides the 2 hour sleep period, remember Riko's handicapped arm? It was horribly fucked up by the porcupine, yet was never mentioned or used as a plot point again. Loss should have meaning.

Dex-chan lover
This was so emotionally manipulative.

What was even the point of bringing Mitty back?

I'm too damn invested to stop now, but I wish this was better. I loved this series so so much when I was first reading it. Please stop reusing cheap tragic characters and subplots. I'm so fascinated by the abyss, but the whole village arc has felt super messy. This reminds me of how tokyo ghoul re went. I'm just stuck here because I need to know what's at the bottom, but I'm starting to think I don't want to know. I like the mystery of it and I don't want to be disappointed

the villager arc is not as good as everything else has been, th first layers where interesting, up to bondrew facility, now its kind of meh

Supporter
Faputa doesn't even realize that her siblings were doomed to die, but their sacrifice saved the folks when they were still human. She's gonna have some big regrets.

I'd say I'm fascinated by the village arc and I have enjoyed it but I am also excited to get to the end of it. I haven't really minded the slow pace, to be honest, but I'm equally interested in new discoveries.

Glad to see Nanachi get some closure. It never felt like s/he really accepted Mitty's death but this chapter seems to have finally addressed that. I was super bummed when the 'second Mitty' was introduced as I felt it was cheap but this chapter really made it make more sense in the context of the village so as to change my opinion to an, "Ah, well that's okay then." This, both in regards to Nanachi and to what extent the second Mitty existed in the first place.

Good stuff, interested in seeing where we go next since things really seem to be happening now.

As always, thank you to all the awesome people that put the work into these scanlations!

Aggregator gang
Is the manga on hiatus again? Or are we behind the raws? Is corona-chan the responsible for this?

Now, being serious. There are a lot of media and entertainment getting canceled over the fact of Covid-19 not getting a resolution for the foreseeable future (for at least the next 6 months). Let us hope that everything is going well. I live in Brazil and things are just getting worse here because our country can't handle the magnitude of the problems, our health care system isn't the best thing already in normal situations and this just proves it.

I have my office to the side of my house and I can work from home as a lawyer. I live out of the loop for your average Brazilian because I have a good income and all, but I fear for our average citizen. It baffles me seeing some people from the 1st world throwing a tantrum. We should all help ourselves in these trying times, independently of our nationality, but politics are making it all more difficult lately. And I feel bad for what is happening in the US right now, but I assure you, a lot more countries have worse problems and the worldwide media don't give two shits about it. This is not to downplay the USA's problems, but all lives matter. All we need to do more is have respect and comprehension.

Be well you all.

@neropr The author was moving and had some health issues. Also they don't necessarily follow a monthly/biweekly schedule. As Made in Abyss became super popular, they gave him a free reign and he can release them as he pleases. The magazine releases on the 10th, 20th, and 30th, and thats the first you'll see whether he released a chapter or not though his twitter does have some info about how soon until the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread