What's some of the most frustrating things you keep seeing in manga?

Dex-chan lover
For me it's that every MC is generic as hell but the side characters have a way better appearance than the MCs.

Also for a majority of Japanese works, I dislike their inability to kill or harm (this is me just hating dumb pacifism)

And finally we have tags that get slapped on the work without it being needed. Every time you find that good work you actually enjoy... "oh btw it's a romance with 2 different leads in this war story" or "oh btw this child mc has a harem of 3 girls... make that 6"... I don't mind harems or romance, but when it's everywhere, it hurts the book, or when it just gets slapped on the work for attention is when I just get disappointed/annoyed.

Dex-chan lover
Isekai genre in general. For a prompt that says "reincarnated in another world" it seems like all these MCs keep getting rebirthed in THE SAME WORLD. I feel like Japanese authors are trying hard for a cash grab instead of expanding the fantasy aspect of the genre beyond just the setting of a generic European medieval fantasy with a generic Hero and Demon King.

I feel like isekai is just such a wasted potential of a genre filled sky high with generic trash that gets consistently over-hyped.

Dex-chan lover
I know I'm only a highschool student (or random office worker) but that doesn't matter, I know all the basics of setting up a functioning economy! From plumbing to exporting!

Thank goodness this old european inspired inn has Curry!

"I am a legendary warrior from the east, my weapon is not something you've likely ever seen" (It's a katana)

"I NEED RICE"

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
for me, a lack of foreplanning, especially in serious series (where the plot involves stakes/consequences), never fails to disappoint.

i don't know how much of it comes from a simple lack of foreplanning and how much comes from manga industry's norms regarding 'playing it by ear' (as in, altering your manga on almost a chapter-by-chapter basis in response to reader consensus/sales), but the improvisation is clear regardless.

it's apparent when the author has created even a rough plot diagram ahead of time; not even for the manga in its entirety, but an arc or two. the consistencies and payoffs that occur as a result of preplanning will always be kino and prove an author can cook.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Hmm, two things. Isekai and Sexual Violence/Sexual Content.
1. I have nothing personal against Isekai but, It is like How I hated Stranger Things for a while before I watched it. Everyone was talking so much about it to the point it was annoying.
2. Indeed, I had read Steel Ball Run, and Jojolands, which makes me a bit of a hypocrite here, but I still dislike it. I remember reading "that" chapter in SBR and literally almost having a panic attack, and I didn't continue reading for a week. It frightens me. So anytime I see the tag I'm struck dumb and want to avoid it like the plague to never feel that horror again. It's the worst thing Imaginable to me.
3. Sexual Content; I know the defense "It's just sex", and indeed, I've read Tetsuo Hara's Works and Jojo and seen a fair amount of it, my only solace was in those, these were swift moments, not lingered upon, which is a weird thing to say for a manga. I dislike sexual content in any form of media, I understand the importance of romances, maybe a kiss or two, and perhaps the lead up to solidify bonds, But, I've always found sex scenes... Awkward... They disrupt things for me, and when dialogue is offered during like a monologue over it... That just makes it even worse! This may be old fashioned of me, and indeed from the series I like a bit hypocritical but... Why!? I suppose my thoughts on the act are different. I don't treat it like a public, frivolous thing, even if the context is not so.
And there we go! I swear if the Sexual Violence tags were removed from and rightfully so from Berserk (I mean in this hypothetical rightfully so) and Vagabond I'd be reading both. Though I attempted the latter, shooing my fear aside for a moment, to find none of the beginning chapters are translated. And I suppose I'll come over to Isekai someday. Just... not while it's so crazy!

Dex-chan lover
Isekai genre in general. For a prompt that says "reincarnated in another world" it seems like all these MCs keep getting rebirthed in THE SAME WORLD. I feel like Japanese authors are trying hard for a cash grab instead of expanding the fantasy aspect of the genre beyond just the setting of a generic European medieval fantasy with a generic Hero and Demon King.

I feel like isekai is just such a wasted potential of a genre filled sky high with generic trash that gets consistently over-hyped.
Thank god, Project N-Extreme exists, even if it's just a blatant advertisement for an arcade game (that I'm still hoping for its home port) with a simple plot. :lol:

Group Leader
This is mostly specific to action comics.
Often authors add these large dense blocks of text but very rarely they provide actual content. They are simply a textual description of what the pictures already depicted, e.g. a character narrating "he used his special move to kill the enemy in an instant" after getting a two-pages spread of that scene; other times they are filled with numbers or comparisons with no real purpose but to say that big numbers are better, especially when these numbers are already made obsolete by the upcoming boss.

Aggregator gang
misunderstandings that can easily be remedied by simply talking to the other party. its a very VERY lazy way to move a plot along
PREACHHHHHHHH omg this sucks sm. a similar thing that pisses me off is when the mc has absolutely 0 backbone, n its 10x worse whenever theyre being targeted by some1.
😈: im going to frame u for smth bad that i did even tho this accusation completely falls apart the moment u actually try n do anything but lmao ppl will think ur a bad person n that im good!!
😣: omg what should i do!!! this could be resolved if i talked back even once instead of being dragged out for tens of ch,s but the author wants to get more ch,s so oh no whatever shall i do!!! oh but maybe they r still a good person🥺🥺 bc i am a generic kind doormat mc that the author reeeeeeally wants the reader to pity so i wont say anything agaisnt them unless we r near the end!!

Dex-chan lover
I know I'm only a highschool student (or random office worker) but that doesn't matter, I know all the basics of setting up a functioning economy! From plumbing to exporting!

Thank goodness this old european inspired inn has Curry!

"I am a legendary warrior from the east, my weapon is not something you've likely ever seen" (It's a katana)

"I NEED RICE"
Lmao

Everyone suddenly changed into genius with 150iq when isekaid.

Users who are viewing this thread