Mairimashita! Iruma-kun - Vol. 8 Ch. 65 - The Joy of Learning

Dex-chan lover
@JuliusCV

Qgl3Q2K.gif

Fed-Kun's army
Europa Universalis 4 and the like can get you up to speed on geography and major historical world powers pretty well. Crusader Kings is rather less grounded though...

Dex-chan lover
@InfiniteVerismilitude I would say it's more of a good starting point.
Sometimes when playing, you see stuff that interests you and you look it up to find interesting stuff

Fed-Kun's army
I think Video Games fulfill a niche of helping to make History and other Educational Practices more digestible to larger audiences so that through these mediums more people will become interested in them.

History for me at first was kind of lame but through games and some pretty interesting stories I was presented to often, I eventually realized History was just as interesting as fiction if not more so.

Dex-chan lover
@conscript117 Wiki occasionally as accurate as videogames. And videogames are either fantasy, reference to historical events by names only or blatant twisting of historical facts wich is probably worse.
@panzerkampfwagyu Rather then starting point, it's exactly promotion of interest. You don't learn [history] from that, you only getting interested in it. Definitely not the same.
@Why_Not_Add_More_Gun And then peope start to actually believe in black soldiers fighting for third reich and highway of death being russian war crime. FPS games are the extreme, but I think you get the point.
@Magaso AoE is not exactly based on history, but rather on romanticized 19'th century interpretation of such. Better not think of it as historical facts and read on actual events of the times becase those are often more interesting then what is re-told for entertainment.

Dex-chan lover
On the first page and the first thing I think of is...well...
"Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku the shape-shifting master of darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil, but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword step forth to oppose me. Before the final blow was struck, I tore upon a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law. Now the fool seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku."

Dex-chan lover
@kwendy there's a great series of articles about how video games warp history and how sid meier decided how to make it all work in Civilization here https://www.filfre.net/2018/03/the-game-of-everything-part-1-making-civilization/

Dex-chan lover
Hmm yes its only been 2 more chapters and Balam is still bae no you cant change my mind

Dex-chan lover
Ya'll know there's a such thing as educational games, right? I mean, most of them suck but still...

Dex-chan lover
when rereading i cant help but have a smile on my face

Users who are viewing this thread