Majo no Geboku to Maou no Tsuno - Vol. 10 Ch. 56 - The Witch's Servant and the Free One

reu

Dex-chan lover
Still waiting to find out why he was burned.
Was it a political move because of sacred weapons? Was it that the salamader hanging around him made him a proto-witch? Was he already a monster but hadn't yet realized it? Did the mangaka just not think about it when he introduced actual exorcists and actual exorcism?
Every time I see that smilling mask I reee externally

@Red225 Smilling mask guys are the "exorcists" that condemned him to the stake

@Red225 @vy0110 : thank go it doesn't go into sexual assault, and I did read/saw some manga/anime where things are even way way waay worse, but yeah it still gets pretty bad fore poor Arsenio - before and after he got burnt at the stake (after all being burn is 'only' painful for a few minutes right haha haa), the answers to your questions @reu are all in the 2nd volume of the prequel more precisely (the masked guys are more like Inquisitors than exorcists btw, this all Espania thing is a ref to that period of time after all).

Dex-chan lover
Never would I have thought Sauro and the Demon King would be unified behind something. Apparently it's breasts and pairings, since they were getting along surprisingly well. It probably helps though that the Demon King is after his direct competition too.

@Georg-Prime Considering how bad some of the flashbacks make it out even in snippets, I would imagine what lead him to meeting Betty would be painful.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Georg-Prime Regardless it's a magical world, if anyone would be a Inquisitor it would be someone who can actually tell if you're possessed or not, as I doubt anyone who couldn't would have any sort of life expectancy in that kind of a job
Secondly as a Portuguese Sephardi I can tell you right now that anything might think about that period is wholecloth bullshit, so please don't derrail the comments with your fantasies.

To all readers:
1) The manga is still on-going, with new chapters coming out every month. This month is chapter 75. Volume 12 just out on June 12th included up to chapter 73.
2) The prequel story is finished, with 22 chapter in 2 volumes. Volume 2 was out on June 12th as well.
NOTE: I saw this from twitter of the author: if you're able to order the real book version, the vol. 12 main story and vol. 2 prequel story each came with an extra clear-folder or something, with illustration of Arsenio, Rei, and Sauro. And if you buy the two books together, there's the third piece (--> details in this link https://twitter.com/mochicome_com/status/1269177205071859713)

I think the scanlation team might be finishing volume 10 first, then switch to finishing the prequel before starting volume 11 of main story.
Main story volume 11 focused on the events of Arsenio meeting with Vivian and Betty, what happened to him after escaping Espania, before he came to live with the two witches, why he's so devoted to them, especially Betty.
Now, there are Chinese raw - which includes both the main story and prequel (main story up to chapter 73) for those who are impatient.

@reu @Georg-Prime The reasons for Arsenio's accusation and execution would not be revealed in the main story here, but in prequel volume 2. I'm going to make a big spoiler here (based on what I understand from the Chinese raw).

Those reasons had absolutely nothing to do with him being possessed by the fire spirit or anything. The actual reasons are down right digusting, but really, very realistically accurate of human nature.

First of, the prequel volume 1
Arsenio was 14 and Sauro was 14-15.
Arsenio was helping at an armory, where his father was working, as he's aiming to follow the profession of his father. Arsenio's father could make chanelling weapon, but he couldn't make it big because he's just a commoner without any connections that would let his weapons be tested and sold. This seemed to be known fact, as the people at armory where Arsenio's father worked seemd to know he could make and fix chanelling tools.
Sauro was a soldier, though it was revealed later that he had just lost his parents to monster. His family was merchant and used to be well-of, which allowed Sauro to be sent to school and learning magic. But with his parents' death, Sauro had become poor, and he's alone.
Sauro and Arsenio got acquainted because Sauro needed to have his weapon fixed after using magic, but he's poor so he couldn't afford an recognized magical armsmith. The clerk at the armory suggested to Sauro to ask for Arsenio's father. The first meeting between the two was normal until a guy showed up, puched Sauro in the face, and told Sauro to die. Arsenio had no clue, but he's interfered by kicking the guy as he's wanting to continue the assault. There're more kicking and punching, in the end, Sauro and Arsenio ran out of the armory together. After talking more though, Arsenio realized that Sauro deserved to be punched as he seduced the girlfriend of the other guy, though it was not because Sauro liked the girl seriously - he just wanted to fool around. Arsenio was really mad, which caused Sauro to promise he would never do such thing again, he would wait for the one he loved.
So their friendship started, mostly because Arsenio was nice and he sympathized with Sauro losing his family and being lonely and struggling with life now. Sauro dreamed of becoming a knight, what he's aimed for before his family tragedy. Arsenio cheered on Sauro and declared he would becoming a magical armsmith, and would make Sauro weapon when Sauro became a knight.
Sauro actually kept his promise about no longer fooling around with woman. At Arsenio's work place, there was this cat. Arsenio befriended the cat, and one time when Sauro saw the cat, he recognized the cat belonged to the daughter of the lord ruling the city, as the maid of the daughter was always looking for the cat. Sauro offered to introduce Arsenio to the maid (Arsenio actually had a little crush on her). The maid later made a dinner invitation as thanks for helping her find the cat. She was telling Sauro, and Sauro waved Arsenio over. In truth, the maid was aiming to have a fling with Sauro - before meeting Arsenio, Sauro had a reputation of a play boy with easy attitude toward whoever coming at him. So she met Arsenio privately to tell him to not come. Arsenio faked being sick, and Sauro tried to take care of him. It worked a bit, as Arsenio no longer felt bad, and told Sauro to go to the dinner without any hard feeling. Sauro did go to see the girl, but just to bring Arsenio's greeting, and turned down the girl's offer to stay the night, bluntly saying he didn't like her.
Now, the cat. The cat was really important. It turned out the cat was a monster, the king of cats, who knew the secret of the Leprauchan's gold. He was in hiding at the city. However, 4 years after Arsenio and Sauro becoming friends, there's a witch who used necromancy attacking the city to find this cat. The results were Arsenio was branded with the rod of the witch, tying him to the fire spirit trapped inside; Sauro was doubting his worthiness to become a knight as he disregarded other citizens while fighting the witch (before Sauro could deal the final blow, the witch was telling Sauro that He's just a murderer and not actually saving anyone, unlike Arsenio who was willing to be harmed to protect others).
At the end of the volume, we were introduced to the cat's owner, the ruling lord's daughter, who was a spoiled girl. She was not very considerate of the cat (named Rico by the girl), which explained why Rico kept running away from home.

Now, to prequel volume 2
Arsenio was being haunted by the fire spirit. He was very stressed about it, doubting himself. It was really hard, particularly because no one else around him could see or hear the thing. He might have gone insane if not for Rico being there, helping him repelling the fire spirit. Arsenio also stated this to Rico, that he's grateful that Rico could also see the thing and help him deal with it. After a period of this situation, it seemd that Arsenio had resolved his internal conflict, resulting in him able to make a chaneling tool - a small paper cutting knife, which he brought to Sauro to test.
Everything seemed fine now. The fire spirit still made Arsenio feel uneasy, though he's no longer doubting himself. Unfortunately, Rico's latest attempt at discouraging the thing made it run away to possess some criminal at the other side of the castle. I don't really know what's the different between this guy and Arsenio (probably the criminal's soul & heart was not "warm" - as Sam was commenting about Arsenio?), but apparently the possession resulting in the criminal himself turned into a moving torch, which caused burning of the castle. The spirit somehow wanted Rico to fix it, so it's looking for Rico. Meanwhile, the people in the castle was evacuated. Rico's owner was throwing a tantrum to have people looking for her cat - she's not really that concern for Rico himself, but more like he's her possession, and she's the daughter of the ruling lord, and each and every needs and wants of hers had to be attended to. Arsenio heard about Rico still being inside the castle so he rushed in there. The girl seemed to mistake his action that he's doing it for her sake (and not simply because Arsenio cared for Rico). Rico was really touched when Arsenio came looking for him. He knew his owner not caring for him much, and his time with Arsenio was nothing very special. Rico able to see the fire spirit - in any other circumstances - might have scared Arsenio, as that would be proof he's some kind of magical creature, which according to the religious teaching had to be destroyed. Yet Arsenio still risked the fire and the possible persecution if Rico being a monster being found out. So Rico resolved himself, and actually revealing his ability, fighting with the possessed man. Just when the fight came to an end, a knight appearing finishing the blow (Sauro met this knight during the witch's event, and the knight seemed to take a liking to Sauro, hinting he might help recommending Sauro becoming a knight). When the knight started on Rico, Arsenio tried to say Rico was actually helping, the knight ignored the helping part, only focusing on "are you colluding with monsters?". Rico wanting to protect Arsenio of the accusation, fired his magic in an attempt at faking attack (a reference to what Arsenio did when Sauro was asking Rei and Lloyd if they were at King Bull's castle helping the monsters). Rico was killed, and the knight more or less ignored Arsenio. Everything seemd to be fine. Right? Right??
Right after the event, the owner of Rico, the girl came to, seemingly, comforting Arsenio. She was saying "there's no need to feel bad about the cat, it's a monster anyway, it's good that it's dead; now let's talk about how you were so willing to go into the fire, must be because you're in love with me" etc. Fine, she's a heartless, spoiled, entitled brat. But after Arsenio rejected her and called her out for being heartless, spoiled, entitled, she was thinking of how she could not let others know about her "failure" of being rejected. I'm quite certain (even though it was not shown exactly) that it was her that make the accusation that caused Arsenio to be arrested.
As for the torturing, it was done by the guy that punched Sauro when Arsenio and Sauro first met. Remembered? His girlfriend dumped him after being seduced by Sauro, or more likely, Sauro showed interested, and she herself decided she wanted a dip at the new hot guy. Apparently this guy - the torturer - who had a grudge with Sauro hold the grudge for 4 whole years, and it's more severe now as the knight commender (the guy who killed Rico) seemed interesed in making Sauro a knight. So the torturer (NOT exorciser - he's not doing anything to expel the spirit, his job was to get a confession out of the accused) wanted Arsenio to make a false confession that Sauro was also colluding with a demon, so that the torturer had reason to ruin Sauro. But Arsenio refused. In his word Sauro might have playing with women's feeling, but it's not so horrible as to be falsely accused of making a deal with demon. Furthermore, Sauro truly worked hard as a soldier fighting monster to protect the city. So the torturing continued, mixed with psychological attacks from the torturer. The burning at the stake was when Arsenio accepted the fire spirit help (Sauro showed a protective and jealous side here when he saw the condition Arsenio was in). But the final chapter was much more emotional in my opinion. Especially when Arsenio escaped from the city, and he realized that he lost his family now, and he was relating this to the feeling of Sauro.

@reu: wow dude chill? I don't know what you thought I meant, but I simply mean that there is a difference between exorcists who's job should be to try and extract a demon/evil presence/etc from someone/somewhere (that's literally the deffinition), and those in the business of questionning 'suspects' of witchcraft etc. Also I'm pretty sure that the actual Inquisition was more of a political situation than anything else (also magic is not real?), and was a mean for the Spanish Monarchy that just took back the country from the Muslim governor, to mostly exile both Muslim and Jewish inhabitants who didn't want to convert into Christianity, and confiscate their stuff and finance the rebuild after the Reconquista and the invasion of the Americas... But what do I know with my degree in History, maybe the Clergy propaganda is right - as we clearly see in this story haha.
Anyway, I don't actually want to fight so I'm gonna stop here, I'm here to enjoy my wonderfully queer fantasy, so not gonna debate on something like this, go in peace man.

@nga130 yeah I actually saw the rest of the prequel and everything (and how bad it is, the pain and the reasons), don't worry, I think there was a misunderstanding on something else, thanks anyway ;)

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Georg-Prime... Well now I feel like a dick. Though when you refer it as "that period" you're projecting a very different image of the events. That's mostly how I'd tell it too, even if you leave out a series of Ottoman backed uprisings and that most of us were left alone and never actually converted.

And speaking of the manga. I meant that if you aren't at least somewhat magically adept and you try to question an actual monster or actual witch(which if you read the prequel, we know they regularly do) I imagine it would'be a "you're locked in here with me!" scenario

Edit: Just noticed you read the prequel. So I imagine I'm wrong

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Users who are viewing this thread