Majutsu Gakuin wo Shuseki de Sotsugyoushita Ore ga Boukensha wo Hajimeru no wa sonna ni okashii darouka - Vol. 8 Ch. 40

Dex-chan lover
MC's dad seems to be the bad kind of noble. Well, at least he doesn't seem to be torturing children for fun.

Dex-chan lover
MC's dad seems to be the bad kind of noble. Well, at least he doesn't seem to be torturing children for fun.
Eh, he's the kind of dad who always tries to give advice to their children even when it's wholly inappropriate. I'm sure he's misunderstood, but it probably doesn't stop how annoying it is to be with someone who only ever seems to criticize and lecture you.

Dex-chan lover
Just to be clear, it was never stated anywhere in the story that Will or his family are nobles. His dad is the leader of the court magicians and that's what we know.

Dex-chan lover
I actually prefer the "more accurate" TL. I read the conjoined bubble as an ellipsis of sorts, i.e. "the one I most want to protect...is you, Jack". Whereas the version we got reads a bit weird with the repeated dialog.
I 100% agree. Though I'd change to an exclamation mark, and if possible make the text in the second bubble a bit larger for more emphasis.

The one
I want to
protect
the most

is you,
J
ack!

Dex-chan lover
Now all I want is to see Will's father get punched. I don't care who does it, and bonus points if it's Will, but someone PLEASE clobber this jackass of a father.
he already got mocked by the king and the leader of the knights.

Dex-chan lover
i'm still reeling from senior adventurers being legit good guys. we got a glimpse when they were actually fighting the rock worms, but

i feel like this writing should be cheesy and predictable

WHY AM I FINDING THIS SO GOOD

i think it might be the faces. it has to be the faces

and of course, thank you so so much for doing this

Dex-chan lover
Thanks Hjek098.
Based on the volume, the dragon is
the little girl
A moment of silence for Bartram.
Eilleen-sama looks dead inside talking about her father but she can be selfish too
EAdZlf.jpg

EAdgR9.jpg

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
"I see I was already too late."

Can't be late for shit that ain't even true, jackass.

Dex-chan lover
Eh, he's the kind of dad who always tries to give advice to their children even when it's wholly inappropriate. I'm sure he's misunderstood, but it probably doesn't stop how annoying it is to be with someone who only ever seems to criticize and lecture you.
It's not about him giving advice. It's about the content of the advice he has given - it displays a bad case of classism. Which is the foundation of an evil noble who does not consider commoners to be human.

I 100% agree. Though I'd change to an exclamation mark, and if possible make the text in the second bubble a bit larger for more emphasis.

The one
I want to
protect
the most

is you,
J
ack!
I think that amount of emphasis is going overboard, honestly. It just doesn't need it to hit. (Also, overuse of exclamation points is a common fault in English writing. You generally need far fewer than you think.)

What stuck out to me was another quote on p. 26: "What are you saying, Selma! It's not Selma's fault!" The second "Selma" is really unnatural in English, in addition to another extra exclamation point. "What are you saying, Selma? It's not your fault!" reads much better. (Changes in bold.)

A common artifact of translating Japanese to English is the tendency to end up with an overuse of someone's name. It's often considered rude to refer to someone else via a pronoun, especially in the second person—e.g. "あなた" (anata)—so Japanese speakers tend to use someone's name in places that would be unnatural in English.

Which raises an interesting question about the first quote: Why did Selma refer to Jack with "あなた" there? I think it may be because "あなた" is also a term of endearment used mostly by a wife to her husband. In context, it emphasized her romantic interest in Jack. This is an aspect that the "more accurate TL" loses that the edited version manages to include.

Edit: Most of this post is more directed at @Hjek098 than Quarnozian.

Users who are viewing this thread