Majutsu Gakuin wo Shuseki de Sotsugyoushita Ore ga Boukensha wo Hajimeru no wa sonna ni okashii darouka - Vol. 8 Ch. 40

Dex-chan lover
That dad is just scummy. Good thing Will is too preoccupied with the dragon to care. And I press F for Bartram, what a good wingman and friend to them.:salute: :meguuusad:

Dex-chan lover
(Also, overuse of exclamation points is a common fault in English writing. You generally need far fewer than you think.)
Maybe a different font could be used for shouting. That would avoid the need of exclamation marks at the end of each sentence.

What stuck out to me was another quote on p. 26: "What are you saying, Selma! It's not Selma's fault!" The second "Selma" is really unnatural in English, in addition to another extra exclamation point. "What are you saying, Selma? It's not your fault!" reads much better. (Changes in bold.)

A common artifact of translating Japanese to English is the tendency to end up with an overuse of someone's name. It's often considered rude to refer to someone else via a pronoun, especially in the second person—e.g. "あなた" (anata)—so Japanese speakers tend to use someone's name in places that would be unnatural in English.
That explains all those weird situations like your Selma" example. I never knew pronouns were rude in Japanese.

Whenever possible, I will exclusively use pronouns. Mostly to hide the fact that I'm terrible at remembering names.

Dex-chan lover
So was the superior who gave Will's dad that super tacky vase the king?

Maybe a different font could be used for shouting. That would avoid the need of exclamation marks at the end of each sentence.
It has more to do with a lack of subtlety. A comic usually depicts the expression and context of the speaker—prose often does the same via written descriptions—on top of the actual word choice. Overdo it and comes off a bit like overacting.

In this case, Selma was reluctant to repeat what she said because it conflicted with here beliefs about her duty. Stating that was hard, so having her shout it doesn't really fit, anyway.

That explains all those weird situations like your Selma" example. I never knew pronouns were rude in Japanese.
It does depend on context and the type of pronoun—using a personal pronoun to refer to yourself is standard, for instance. And I'm not that well versed in the details.

Whenever possible, I will exclusively use pronouns. Mostly to hide the fact that I'm terrible at remembering names.
I feel you on that point.

Dex-chan lover
Bro wtf? They laughing, but those guys went through hell to get that information.
... It is kind of funny though imagining the strict face of William's dad desperately using his staff as a blunt weapon. The faces are too funny.
It does seem kind of inconsiderate, but with adventurers who deal with death on a daily basis, it's not that inconceivable they would try and get over things by keeping it light.
Jack and Selma themselves asked them to be cheerful.

Dex-chan lover
It's not about him giving advice. It's about the content of the advice he has given - it displays a bad case of classism. Which is the foundation of an evil noble who does not consider commoners to be human.
I really don't think it's about class in his case. As others have pointed out, it's not stated clearly that he himself is a noble.
It seems to be about attitude more than anything else, which is consistent with him wanting his son to excel and follow his footsteps as a court magician, and it also makes perfect sense he'd be so strict on others as he is on himself if we suppose he is a commoner who rose to a position of power through ability and hard work.
Not saying that his words towards best girl are justifiable in any way, but I do think it's at least a little better than the "I'm a noble so I'm above lowly commoners" trope.

Dex-chan lover
Someone looks like she's about to fight giant worms again...

"How do you put this on?"
You have others put it on for you.

This world is made out of bokes and tsukkomis. And at least one of those tsukkomis needs to be hit with something harder than a paper fan.

Oh, cooperate with the fire dragon. Finally getting to the cover girl.

Yeah, anyone who insult these wonderful ladies is a clear case of ass hat.

Alright, time to place your bets. Is cover art the dragon, or the dragon's child?
The one they're going to interact with the most, at any rate.

I feel like is she told anyone else she would of gone to jail for prioritizing a no rank knight over a high rank knight
Depends on how inbred your legal system is. She has a clear case for that high rank knight telling her what to do.

Now all I want is to see Will's father get punched. I don't care who does it, and bonus points if it's Will, but someone PLEASE clobber this jackass of a father.
Preferably with a staff.

he already got mocked by the king and the leader of the knights.
He needs more.

"I see I was already too late."

Can't be late for shit that ain't even true, jackass.
Too late to ruin him, he means.

I think that amount of emphasis is going overboard, honestly. It just doesn't need it to hit. (Also, overuse of exclamation points is a common fault in English writing. You generally need far fewer than you think.)
Using exclamation points as emphasis gives me the same impression as using CAPS FOR EMPHASIS. Less of a pointed sharpness and more of a constant, loud drone. Personally I often use italics for emphasis, but that doesn't work in all formats.

In context, it emphasized her romantic interest in Jack. This is an aspect that the "more accurate TL" loses that the edited version manages to include.
That's often the problem with "more accurate TLs". They tend to lose meaning unless you know what the original words are, what they mean, and what they imply.

There's a reason I use a lot of nicknames when I write comments about manga characters...

Not saying that his words towards best girl are justifiable in any way, but I do think it's at least a little better than the "I'm a noble so I'm above lowly commoners" trope.
I kinda think that's worse, actually. It means he should know better, but doesn't.

Dex-chan lover

Sadly due to political correctness bs... even pronouns are now excessively annoying...

Dex-chan lover
There's a reason I use a lot of nicknames when I write comments about manga characters...
If I'm too lazy to look it up, I'll just honestly say so after describing the character.

It's not socially awkward to open another browser tab and browse through the story until you come across their name. It just depends on how much effort I want to put in for the comment. (and sometimes I'm not interested in putting in any effort.)

Dex-chan lover
Sadly due to political correctness bs... even pronouns are now excessively annoying...
Pronouns are what the speaker, writer, or translator identifies them as, not what they want to be addressed as. And since we're mainly talking about fictional characters here, they have no wants. They are whatever we want them to be.

It's not socially awkward to open another browser tab and browse through the story until you come across their name. It just depends on how much effort I want to put in for the comment. (and sometimes I'm not interested in putting in any effort.)
I look up all sorts of stuff when commenting. Names, spelling, synonyms, historical facts. But as you say, depending on the effort I'm willing to make. Like if it's just some idiot arguing nonsense, I'll just throw back their own comments and point out all the fallacies, if I respond at all.

Using exclamation points as emphasis gives me the same impression as using CAPS FOR EMPHASIS. Less of a pointed sharpness and more of a constant, loud drone. Personally I often use italics for emphasis, but that doesn't work in all formats.
Basically, yes. Although I find all caps more annoying than exclamation points, the effect is rather similar.

Many comic fonts are designed to use bold as a method of emphasis, mostly by giving their bold a rather subtle appearance.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty sure you confused "admiration" with "aspiration" when talking about Will's hero dream.

Dex-chan lover
Eileen, dear, if not now then when the fuck are you ever going to say anything you are literally the crown princess you are in the position to say basically whatever the hell you want when you want, and here the court magician just not only questioned your choice in personal but insulted them and is lowering moral right before an operation, now is the exact time to say something.

Users who are viewing this thread