Maou-jou de Oyasumi - Vol. 16 Ch. 208 - The Sea is Stormy at the River

Group Leader
how to catch a fish without doing anything:
make other people do it

Dex-chan lover
tsunseidon captures another sibling,
The greek pantheon truly is just one big family!

Dex-chan lover
They should honestly just be happy she didn't immediately reach for the magic dynamite (or a meteor spell or something)!

It's more frequently to see wise princess now.
The princess is so wise

Seems like the author really like Miyagi Suya a lot. Been seeing her going full blown crouching moron hidden wise-woman. I'm a bit torn about this, since Suya started out as a hillariously selfish do-whatever-she-wants type of person, a flawed but lovable character. But now she has evolved to be a hyper-competent-but-lazy super-woman who understands others hidden desires by just watching or listening to them and comes up with plans that make her seem incompetent but actually perfectly achieves what they want (and in some cases, more) while also gaining personal (albeit short-term) benefits.

she's one bad writing away from a mary-sue, however I can't help but like this development. She's infinitely more useful to everyone around her and actually justifies why everyone likes her. She also in turn like the demons around her and genuinely wants the best for them. All of this are great but... It's also kinda frustrating how smoothly everything goes for the princess and everyone around her. There has never been a failed plan, every outcome is (at worst) positive for everyone, any mistake is quickly repaired and made better without the princess learning from it (that changes her behavior for the rest of the series).

I think my frustration comes from how the princess still acts "at her worst" and all the good outcomes came to her. When she's at her best, she tries to understand and befriend the people around her, at her worst she's selfish and ruins everything for everyone.

One thing that comes to my mind when she's at her worst is when her shenanigans caused the demon king to become bankrupt, so she tries to help raise funds but it fails, but then the whole arc is resolved by her selling off one (just one, and i don't think it's her most favorite) piece of clothing that is so expensive that it managed to fill back ALL of the demon king's coffers. And she learned NOTHING.

I get it, this is a comedy manga, it doesn't have to have character development or balanced character traits. But, this series has been courting with overarching plots lately (Suya and Twilight forming harmony between demons and humans or Twilight and the dragon's chief (sorry i can't remember her name right now) possibly forming a relationship). It would be nice If we get to see Suya recognize one of her flaws (whether a flaw established in previous chapters or a new flaw that doesn't conflict with her already established personality and traits) and overcoming that flaw and become a more mature and better person. Rather than what we get here where she becomes somewhat more motivated and taps in to 2% more of her true power. Is that too much to ask? Would that be too out of place?

@nutman451
>she's one bad writing away from a mary-sue
Comedy doesn't work that way. Whole thing is wholesome comedy, not cheap drama.
>She's infinitely more useful to everyone around her and actually justifies why everyone likes her
People like attractive cheerful little girls because they are attractive cheerful little girls, not because they are useful to them.

Dex-chan lover
Now now now, I just realized Poseidon says "bloody" a lot. Is he secretly a British man?

@Ropoloid

Comedy doesn't work that way. Whole thing is wholesome comedy, not cheap drama.
I think to the contrary. The reason we could laugh off and like the Suya's mischief is because at first we assumed the demons were evil (because they did kidnap her), which justified her doing terrible things to them and allowed us to laugh it off (we wouldn't be laughing if she did the same thing to a bunch of hard working peasants now would we?). But as the story develops, we get to see the demons aren't bad people, and Suya herself begins benefitting the demons (personally rather than their whole attempt to destroy humanity) while also her shenanigans becomes less severe and become part of their normalcy. When her action does have severe consequences it becomes a focus of a chapter/arc where by the end of it all negative effects are negated.

All of this is good writing, mind you. The author understands how to keep every character that matters likable. He/she knows that if a character has to stay then he/she has to make sure the readers like that character. Notice that there has never been a recurring character (as in someone who interacts with suya from time to time, the hero doesn't count) that negatively effects the princess. Notice how there is no character that resents the princess for the entirety of the series (closest we got was poison fire dragon).

What I'm putting under question, is sage Suya also good writing? Would turning her into a hyper competent person who has godlike relationship skills would break any tension (for a lack of a better term) as everyone can wave off any shenanigans suya is doing as her plan on fixing someone's problem rather than her just being selfish (Such as in this chapter where I thought all of what she's doing is to help nudist get in to a bromance with DK) as such can take comfort knowing that there will never ever be any negative outcome.

People like attractive cheerful little girls because they are attractive cheerful little girls, not because they are useful to them.
I wouldn't like a cheeky brat who breaks all my stuff, financially ruin me, and never even tries to fix it nor feel remorseful about it (all the negative traits of Suya, tho she does try to fix things when she realizes it VERY negatively effects someone)

The reason people could laugh and consider everything wholesome is because at the end of the day, everyone she interacts with (except for maybe the book) are better off or at least isnt negatively affected in the long run. Granted the demons are also written to be likable dorks who are actually good people, but like I said, it's all good writing.

@nutman451 Eh, it might be your own opinion. I never laugh because princess did those things to a bunch of bad guys. I laugh because the thing she did is hilarious. A lots of comedy i read have mischievous characters causing mayhem to other people, despite the fact that they are not bad people. The act itself is funny, the one who received it doesn't matter

Users who are viewing this thread