Maou ni Natta node, Dungeon Tsukutte Jingai Musume to Honobono suru

I agree with most of the others here, if you are going to use this format of speech it MUST be done perfectly. Most of these sentences make absolutely zero sense unless you yourself fix them in your head while reading, but doing that after almost every single page can really get tiring. Plus it really butchers her character, she's supposed to be a wise age-old dragon leader. When you have her speaking like some peasant wasted in the street covered in his own piss, she just loses shine as a character. The English language has many expressions and words than can show the speakers age, as is shown in the updated translation. Thank you for the releases, I hope this is constructive enough criticism.

I don't know what's worse: using Middle English at all, or using Middle English and getting it wrong.

I really appreciate both translations, but I have to say it is a lot easier to read without the accented English. It is kinda weird how the fake old English makes her sound less mature in my head than the more normal English one does. It was like she suddenly sounded the age she was supposed to be, but the fake old English was funny.

The English accent physically hurts to read, but I do appreciate the effort they made into translating it and putting it there

Dex-chan lover
for anyone interested, the loli dragon do NOT speak old english but rather broken early modern english (think shakespear) and no, i am not well read in this matter, it is just a hobby of mine to look things up every now and again when it befalls my interest.

real old english (anglo-saxon) was used around 500 to 1000 CE (common era) and was a completely different language and is more or less incomprehensible without studying it first.
here is a example taken from Beowulf:
Hƿæt! ƿē Gār-Dena in ġeār-dagum,
þēod-cyninga, þrym ġefrūnon,
hū ðā æþelingas ellen fremedon.
this is how old english writing actually looked like, picture taken from a page out of Beowulf:
https://www.bl.uk/britishlibrary/~/...ms/beowulf-cotton_ms_vitellius_a_xv_f132r.jpg

it was followed by middle english, it was used after the norman conquest around mid-late 1060's, it gradually transitioned to early modern english around 1470~ the transition lasted for nearly 100 years.
next to nothing exist from early middle english days.
middle english 12th century sample, taken from Ormulum:
Forrþrihht anan se time comm
þatt ure Drihhtin wollde
ben borenn i þiss middellærd
forr all mannkinne nede

very early modern english can be found as early as Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur, printed and released somewhere around 1480-1490, early modern english is however what you see in works made by Christopher Marlowe late 1580's to late 1590's and shakespear 1590-1612.

modern english, as in the one we use today started to come in to use very late 1690's and early 1700's, in between 1710-1720 is where todays modern english fully emerged, but it was not before around 1750's when a dictionary of the modern english was published that the earlier modern english completely disappeared.
shakespear was so important to modern english that it can easily be understood even today, 400 years later, whereas works made by Geoffrey Chaucer and William Langland who shaped the late middle english language is of considerable difficulty to read today without previous study into middle english.

it is somewhat problematic to find a accurate early english translator as they tend to exaggerate, and shakespear did plays, not common grammar structures used day by day.
my advise would be to use one of these two online translators as they are the most accurate ones i could find, others was by intention exaggerated:
https://www.shmoop.com/shakespeare-translator/
https://lingojam.com/ShakespeareanEnglishtoModernEnglish

For those who have read the novel the translated one(Cardboard TL); I have question, there is some part in that novel that talks about middle east(it was on chapter 12)
is that part of the original novel or is it just some TL thoughts, its quite unthinkable that author himself put its down his own opinion on the novel itself. Another thing,
is it me or is that novel TL is full of bad words, like fuck, wtf or so on. Im still on ch 18, quite hard to read the novel with decency.
If it really is, I wish there was a LN version so that editor will fix those.

I feel the need to stand up for the use of the slightly modernized early english, it takes some forethought on working that out, and I appreciate the extra work being done to make it work, I find it delightful 🙂

kaf

when 3 groups work on the same project
CxkVW1G

@UnknownSaint111 there hasn't been any real romance yet. It doesn't happen for a while yet.

Next is the poor human hero being sent on a suicide mission.

Dex-chan lover
Ehhhhhhh....

It's an Isekai, and has most of the problems associated with that, (overpowered MC, instant harem, bog standard videogame-esque rules, MC showing almost no reaction to killing things and not acting believable)
But it's cute and when it focuses on comedy it can be decently funny.
It's not great, but it's not a steaming pile of garbage like That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.
If you like I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level you'll probably like this.

In the LH translation page at the end of the chapters, which stories are the guy at the far right (past Shield Hero) and the small girl hugging the red beast (center top) from?

Group Leader
Ravioli, ravioli.

You have permission to lewd the dragon loli.

Users who are viewing this thread