Maou-sama ni Shoukan sareta kedo Kotoba ga Tsuujinai - Vol. 2 Ch. 14 - I Don't Get It

@Phaaze I agree with you there. People forget he was taken against his will to a foreign land with a language he can't understand neither by speech nor writing not to mention the difference in the customs from their worlds.

I ask anyone giving MC flack to just imagine you being taken to a remote place in, for example, China and you don't know anything about the language nor does the people there know your language. I imagine you would do better than the MC, right? Body language can only take you so far in the limited time he has been in this world.

Double-page supporter
I said in a previous chapter that he's essentially a pet, but even dogs are better at understanding language than he is. To the extent that being a person involves interacting with others in ways that effectively convey information between parties, he barely qualifies as one. It's deeply silly.

I think she's awkward because she thinks ren is thinking that she must be jealous because of the events with the other girl

Dex-chan lover
These two aren't even dating yet they both were so much more romantic to each other than me with my ex when she wasn't an ex

@jellybones Two reason. 1, She is not the MC. 2, We don't know anything about her, including what she has tried, what her intentions were when summoning, or whether or not she even wants him to understand. The ongoing joke here is that she thinks of him as a pet. He is a different species and obviously is incapable of responding to anything other than his own name and the name of his owner.....

Yeah, he is a pet. Her offering him a collar was probably more of a hint than a joke by the author

Dex-chan lover
Swear some people just need to prove how smart they are lol. Mate, this is a gag manga genius. The title is literally "I Was Summoned by the Demon Lord, but I CAN'T Understand Her Language".

@cor3zone
Like mate I know you're a linguistics genius so please spare us from your 2000 level iq steps of learning another language. We don't care. We're here for the fluff. If you want to prove your superior linguistics skills, maybe read Heterogenous Linguistics and see how pointing at stuff and hoping the other person to just say the noun doesn't work genius. Fucking hell mate.

So I've seen quite a few people saying how you could learn the more basic parts of the language through exposure to it. I just want to say a few things about how that would be a lot easier said than done.
(I am no linguist by the way, but I do know a decent amount of another language (Irish) that I will refer to here for examples of how things could get complicated. And yes, I do agree that it is a bit sad that the MC has made seemingly little effort to learn the language.)

First of all, I would agree that you could learn some of the more basic things like "Hello", "yes", "no", or even "Thank you", but it would still take a long time, and in some cases, might not be possible. As an example, in Irish the way you say hello and thank you changes slightly depending on whether your talking to one person or multiple people. As for "yes" and "no", Irish doesnt actually have words for "yes" or "no". For all we know, this language may also lack words for things we take for granted, and that would complicate things quite a bit.

Second, about nouns. Simply put, you could potentially learn the basic form of a noun by pointing at the object you want to learn and hoping they respond with whatever it is, but that isn't much use when the noun is pronounced quite differently depending on the context and the grammar of the language.

As I mentioned above, there is also the possibility of words not existing in her language that do in his, and that idea is expressed in a very different way in her language. This applies to both nouns and verbs. (Just as an example for verbs, Irish has no verb for to have, nor verbs for to like, love, dislike or hate). This also works the other way around aswell, when some form of a word or single word exists in her language that may not exist in his, which would complicate things further.

I would like to say again, I agree that its a shame the MC hasn't even tried to learn a small bit, which is alot of missed potential for various misunderstandings and the like, but I just wanted to let some people know that learning a language, particularly one that is drastically different or has complex grammar rules, is fairly difficult, especially without anyone who speaks your own language or a language you speak to teach you.

Okay, rant over. If you read all this, sorry for wasting your time with my ramblings.

Dex-chan lover
@Madra yeah, languages are hard. I have tried to learn German, Greek, Russian and now i am trying to learn Vietnamese. I suck at every one of them and can barely remember anything. Greek is the one i remember the most of because i took several years of each in college. But as it stands, I can pretty much only order coffee, apologize and ask where the bathroom is plus sort of piece together a bunch of works to get a basic idea of somethings.

Lets not forget the alphabet. Like, it may not have 26 characters. It could have more or less. I imagine that any society that has magic is gonna have a really complex language.

Dex-chan lover
@Snickrot
I imagine that any society that has magic is gonna have a really complex language.

Sometimes magic doesn't even need any language, just gathering mana and casting the spell. Sometimes it's just a single command word. Sometimes it's indeed shouting spell names or even long poem like things. Written magic could be complicated magic circles with few characters or a lot of text. It's also not rare for magic to use a different language compared to the common languages people use for communication. Thus, mages would need to learn that separate language to use magic.

Dex-chan lover
Almost heard FBI car on the castle's driveway, accidental kiss avoided accidentally.

That made loli moist tho'

Users who are viewing this thread