Maou-sama ni Shoukan sareta kedo Kotoba ga Tsuujinai - Vol. 2 Ch. 14 - I Don't Get It

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
"Touching heads is a sign of marriage proposal, because the head of an individual is everything for a demon<"
Scientifik faxs-1888

If he won’t start learning her language I’m considering dropping this title because of how annoying it’s becoming to read. The only saving grace of this manga is cuteness after all but even it can’t overcome this disgrace of an MC.

The manga gets 10x better if you stop seeing the MC as a human and more as a dog/pet. It also makes more sense if you imagine it that way.

I am very tired of the MC making no effort to learn the language. I really liked this title. However, with no language, there is only so much plot development possible. LET THE MC LEARN SOME LANGUAGE SKILLS.

The point of the manga may be just that the language can't and won't be figured out. At least for now...

But let's think here for minute. How can one learn a language without any references? You'd need to know the translations of the words in your native language. There's a good reason to assume that the MC's language doesn't exist at all in this new world. Sure, you may pick up some words. But what about grammar? Spelling? Pronunciation? Phonetics? Etc. All the nitty and gritty stuff, the tiny intricacies. You name it

Say an alien civilization from 1000 lightyears came to Earth, how on earth would an average person like you and me be able to figure out they alien's language from scratch??
Or an example closer to home: Egyptian hieroglyphs. They were ONLY able to be translated because of the Rosetta stone. If anything, you should hope that such a thing exists in the world where the MC currently is.

So really... with all these obstacles, how the f*ck is the MC supposed to know such an unknown language (without some magical power or Rosetta stone)!? Wanna bet you can all figure it out if you were there?

But I will admit that the MC could at least try and stuggle to learn something. Still, not enough reason to drop it.

Dex-chan lover
@J363 it can indeed be very difficult to learn a language truly distant from ones own. There are native american and african languages so remote from the indo-european group that indo-european speakers are almost unable to learn (although any language can be learned in basics eventually). But in no case is it impossible to learn basic tangible nouns. The proof that this holds in the manga is that they know each others' names.

It was part of the charm in chapter 1. In chapter 14, the charm has worn off.

@SilverSeagleLive @Fushiginiku
I agree, nouns would certainly help in his situation. Even though it can only go so far. You'll need grammar to form sentences and convey your message properly. Unfortunately, just pointing out to objects won't help with that. It's just that many don't seem to stop and think how difficult it is to learn such a remote language. That's why I felt the desire to post a comment.

Dex-chan lover
@J363
I do agree with you, if we are talking about dead languages, like egyptian hieroglyphs.

Things are totally possible to translate between people that can communicate and express themselves, no matter the differences (of course, not always, as things are never 100% in HR matters).

Dex-chan lover
@J363 I understand. Speaking as the kind of language wonk who goes around inventing his own languages, I agree with your points. But I think the frustration being expressed isn't over his failure to master the language, but his failure to even try.

For me (for the reasons above) this could be a fascinatingly cute story if the author had the attempt to learn the language woven into the story. Think of all the comedic potential when misunderstandings happen and we learn from her POV what he just said...

Dex-chan lover
@J363 You're making mountains out of molehills. If there's any of what you said that isn't covered by instinct once you actually start fucking practicing, it can be covered by learning materials or personal guidance, which a goddamn queen should be able to provide.

Sad thing is, if you made this a mostly text-free manga and the characters only used facial expressions and the occasional comedic image to communicate with each other as well as the reader, none of this would be a problem. MC's true personality would be the reader's projection as much as Mary's right now is. You could move the focus away from his uselessness and make him an adorably panicky worrywart instead of the whiner he now comes across as, especially if you drew his reactions the right way.

Everyone complaining about MC not speaking the language in a Manga called "...but I can't understand her" but y'all OK with Komi not speaking in "Komi can't communicate"

Y'all salty.

God, will have this discussion every single chapter? And I'm saying this despite being from the camp that believes that the protagonist's inability to learn the language is BS.

Contributor
Hgnnn.

Well, many ppl complain here, but as for myself, i like to see two people fall in love with each other when they cant even understand what the other say.

It's cute, and it will only be better later when he figure how to speak.

For fucks sakes people quit trying to look for logical workarounds in a gag manga.

Users who are viewing this thread